• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Kuechly, Pro Scout

Wolfcop

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know a lot of people think Kuechly has a future as a GM.

I don't.

As a Director of Player Personnel or something similarly dedicated to scouting players, sure. But a big part of GM jobs is financial stuff that I'm not as sure Luke would be good at.

Yes. BUT... This is Luke we're talking about. The man has never half-assed anything in his life to this point.

If he decided that's what he wanted to do, do you really think he'd see getting an online degree in sports management, an MBA with a concentration in finance, and shadowing the financial guys for a couple years as a hurdle? He's 28. If he's doing the mental math he's probably thinking he could be a GM by the time he's 35.

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

Yes. BUT... This is Luke we're talking about. The man has never half-assed anything in his life to this point.

If he decided that's what he wanted to do, do you really see getting an online degree in sports management, an MBA, and shadowing the financial guys for a couple years as a hurdle? He's 28. If he's doing the mental math he's probably thinking he could be a GM by the time he's 35.

I understand the thought process about him not knowing now but Dan Morgan didn't know about that stuff and he is rising through the front office ranks. The one thing you have to like about Luke is that he seems to be one of those guys that just simply isn't going to be outworked. People that have that level of drive tend to be successful at almost anything they focus on. If Luke wants to be a General Manager in this league, I believe he would be successful. If Luke wants to be a coach in this league, I believe he would be successful. 

That's how a lot of these ex-players end up as coaches or front office personnel. They didn't inherently know these things, they learned. And they did so because they had the drive to obtain that knowledge. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know a lot of people think Kuechly has a future as a GM.

I don't.

As a Director of Player Personnel or something similarly dedicated to scouting players, sure. But a big part of GM jobs is financial stuff that I'm not as sure Luke would be good at.

Ever since radio show host Hurney destroyed the cap, got fired then rehired then decided he was best for the job and then decided interim GM meant 4+ years GM I have concluded really anyone can be a GM.

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I understand the thought process about him not knowing now but Dan Morgan didn't know about that stuff and he is rising through the front office ranks. The one thing you have to like about Luke is that he seems to be one of those guys that just simply isn't going to be outworked. People that have that level of drive tend to be successful at almost anything they focus on. If Luke wants to be a General Manager in this league, I believe he would be successful. If Luke wants to be a coach in this league, I believe he would be successful. 

That's how a lot of these ex-players end up as coaches or front office personnel. They didn't inherently know these things, they learned. And they did so because they had the drive to obtain that knowledge. 

Reminds me of the documentary "Somm," and how a lot of former athletes try to get the Master Sommelier certification. And Brian McClintic, who was a former baseball player (and certified BAMF. Look him up) summed it up perfectly:

"When someone tells you this is something that a lot of people can't do, people either go 'Wow that's impressive' or they say 'Wow, I want to do that."

I feel like that's Luke.

Archived