• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade for Sam Darnold this offseason?

gorillamilitia13

From what I know of Adam Gase, he runs a WCO style system. That would mean that Darnold would be familiar with some of the concepts our offense uses.

It also would mean that he's looked bad in an offense similar to what we run.

Personally, I don't think I could sign on to trading for him. Giving him a chance if he gets cut? Maybe, but I'm not that high on the idea in general.

17 minutes ago, bababoey said:

I kind of doubt that.  If he is just not god-awful in NY he will make more money in endorsements in his first 4 years than he will on his rookie deal.  NY is really the only place he can do that.  Now if he wins the MVP in year 3 he can do that anywhere but he can still be bad and do that in NY.

NY is the only place he can make money? 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I am having a hard time thinking of a 1st round QB that failed with his first team and succeed.  (Steve Young and Brett Favre) but both of them never started from their original teams. 

Granted the NYJ are a mess but IMO he's probably just another average QB. 

The guy we've been talking about in this thread. Ryan Tannehill. You can throw in Alex Smith in KC too.

46 minutes ago, bababoey said:

I kind of doubt that.  If he is just not god-awful in NY he will make more money in endorsements in his first 4 years than he will on his rookie deal.  NY is really the only place he can do that.  Now if he wins the MVP in year 3 he can do that anywhere but he can still be bad and do that in NY.

But he can go somewhere else and be great and crush whatever paycheck he might get from local NY endorsements.

If Mahomes went to the Jets, he would never see a fraction of that 500 mil deal he has now. 

31 minutes ago, Tbe said:

But he can go somewhere else and be great and crush whatever paycheck he might get from local NY endorsements.

If Mahomes went to the Jets, he would never see a fraction of that 500 mil deal he has now. 

I like your point about Mahomes. He should be, and probably is, forever grateful that Andy Reid helped him rake in all that cash.

Never been a huge fan of Darnold so I’d probably be out on this. He has talent but his decision making and sloppiness have been poor at best even when factoring in Gase.

As for the Tannehill comparisons, Tannehill was statistically a solid QB under Gase. He left and is borderline great statistically. Darnold has been statically awful under Gase so expecting a similar jump as Tannehill is probably a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

OK I'll give you Tannehill but Smith hasn't done much since he left.    He's more of a Game Manager than someone that can take you to the next level. 

Alex Smith was a good QB in KC. They just found someone better, just like we should do with Bridgewater.

*not trying to say that Bridgewater is equal to the KC version of Smith, so far he hasn't been

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I got your point but is Darnold the answer?  

Probably not. I'm just saying that another guy who's currently in the MVP conversation pretty much looked like trash under Gase too. I don't think looking like trash under Gase is necessarily good evidence that you're not a franchise QB. I didn't like Darnold coming into the draft, but he has intriguing tools. He'll get another shot somewhere.

41 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Every rookie thinks he is going to be the greatest player to every play in the NFL.  You kind of have to if you are ever going to make it in the NFL.  The truth is half of them or more are going to play 3 years or less in the NFL and no one will remember who they were or who they played for.  The players agent has to think like that.  So if you have a chance to be the #1 overall pick in the NFL and go to the biggest market in the US any agent would be stupid to tell the player not to do that.

The money he can make in his 1st year in NY, even if he is terrible, is probably more than his entire signing bonus from his rookie deal and maybe more than his entire 4 year contract.  Now if he is as good as everyone thinks he will be and he wins a super bowl he could make that money at any team in the NFL.  

Look at Baker Mayfield,  has he had a good year yet?  But he makes all kinds of money in endorsements because he was a #1 pick, and he is in Cleveland.  Think how much more Lawrence could make in NY.  And if he is good in NY and wins a super bowl Lawrence could make more than 500 million in 10 years just from endorsements.  He can't do that in any other market.

Archived