• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just remember this is a multi step process

Snake

Yes we suck this year but... 

We will more than like toss this roster up in the off season. We have found some good players this year that never would have gotten a opportunity in the Rivera coaching era. 

We will play FA again and more than like get a top 5 pick when the draft comes around. This will allow us to bring in fresh faces and improvements in areas we were terrible in this season. 

We might not draft a QB round 1. I know people are ready to get rid of Teddy Two gloves but QB is going to be in high demand and we could just as easily get the best LT or CB in this draft. Two areas we really need help. If we get a QB awesome but if we improve in other areas that's awesome too. 

Even though some will think next year should be playoffs don't be surprised if we fall short and pick top 10 again. We have a lot of work to do before this team is competitive and all because Hurney and Rivera drove this ship right into the rocks. I haven't seen a worse roster in a very long time so keep you're head up and watch for Improvements in the years to come. 

I agree completely, Snake

Looking at the roster at the end of last year and what was inevitable, I never thought that rebuilding it would be less than a three year process.  Especially when the cap and dead money this year from past sins was accounted for.  We would have had to find 10 or 15 guys who were potential NFL starters and off everybody else's Radar as UFAs in order for the process to be any faster.  

I ask this from a point of ignorance: do we have a bust from last year's draft?  By bust, I mean a guy who has no chance of having any role moving forward.  I don't mean they will all be All-Pros or even starters, but have some solid role on the roster.  Keep in mind, Schultz believes secondary players take a while to develop and the first year is usually trial by fire.

Have we ever been able to ask the above question before?  The question was always closer to "is anybody going to be around next year?"

Even our FA signings were better than what we were used to, considering in some cases we had to find somebody to play the position in question.  Anderson, alone, blew that curve.

And the one thing I thought I would never be able to say is now true: I am pretty happy with our WRs. 

Now for something I want to see before I die: a Panther QB drop back to thrown on anything other than a quick-hit play and not be accompanied in his retreat by a pass rusher.  I have seen that before in my life, I just look forward to one day seeing it again!

Just now, OneBadCat said:

This could have been a winning team if Teddy had an ounce of clutch in him. We aren't that far off from competing.

I hate losing as much as anybody.

But with that said, this year's team being a winning team isn't necessarily to our greatest benefit.

I fully expected to suck this year. It fits the Rhule "process". It happened at both Temple and Baylor. Now I didn't watch those seasons so I can't say if some of the coaching errors we've seen were present then and there too, but yeah... anyone expecting a quick turnaround wasn't paying attention to our roster and Rhule's history. With that said, that makes some of this off-season's moves all the more baffling. Signing Teddy to a three year $63M deal? Robby to a two year $20M deal? Keeping Short? None of those make sense given the situation. That doesn't seem to fit "the process". Now, the Robby signing has turned out great but if you were sold on the guy the deal should've been long-term. Two years is a stop gap. We should honestly try to extend him this off-season.

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

With that said, that makes some of this off-season's moves all the more baffling. Signing Teddy to a three year $63M deal? Robby to a two year $20M deal? Keeping Short? None of those make sense given the situation. That doesn't seem to fit "the process". Now, the Robby signing has turned out great but if you were sold on the guy the deal should've been long-term. 

See . . . I kinda understood all those.

Robby hadn't lit the world on fire, but Rhule believed in him.  Two years was about right.

Teddy makes complete sense.  We needed a guy who knew the system and could teach it.  That's Teddy.  We might have slightly overpaid, but not by as much as some people think.  He's a middle of the pack QB, making middle of the pack money.  He definitely doesn't have the 'clutch' gene tho.  :(

KK also makes sense.  We really needed a guy to take some of the heat off Brown this year as well as help him develop.  It sucks that he got hurt, and I don't see him being retained this off season, but I got it at the time.

Just now, BrianS said:

See . . . I kinda understood all those.

Robby hadn't lit the world on fire, but Rhule believed in him.  Two years was about right.

Teddy makes complete sense.  We needed a guy who knew the system and could teach it.  That's Teddy.  We might have slightly overpaid, but not by as much as some people think.  He's a middle of the pack QB, making middle of the pack money.  He definitely doesn't have the 'clutch' gene tho.  :(

KK also makes sense.  We really needed a guy to take some of the heat off Brown this year as well as help him develop.  It sucks that he got hurt, and I don't see him being retained this off season, but I got it at the time.

What do you pay coaches for? Why did we throw big money at an OC if he can't teach his system to his players?

KK has been a shadow of his former self for awhile now. Nowhere near worth the $$$. Hanging onto faded vets too long has been an ongoing problem for this franchise.

8 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

“Trust the process” is one of the worst sports cliches. And by the way that philosophy does not work. Tanking DOES not work. 

Especially when all you have to go on is the brass' own bravado that it is going to work out in the end.  How do we know Rhule isn't going to end up being Spurrier, C.Kelly, or Schiano? He definitely has the team littered with former players starting out like they did.  I do hate wasting years of good players and fan morale waiting on process to play out.

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What do you pay coaches for? Why did we throw big money at an OC if he can't teach his system to his players?

KK has been a shadow of his former self for awhile now. Nowhere near worth the $$$. Hanging onto faded vets too long has been an ongoing problem for this franchise.

All this has been explained to him, repeatedly, yet he makes this same post on a daily basis. I’m assuming he thinks if he says it enough that people will start to believe it was OK to throw away almost 50M to get the same results. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

All this has been explained to him, repeatedly, yet he makes this same post on a daily basis. I’m assuming he thinks if he says it enough that people will start to believe it was OK to throw away almost 50M to get the same results. 

For the record, I actually think he's partially right about the Teddy decision. I think his familiarity with Brady's system played a HUGE role in his signing. I just think that was a really short sighted decision.

Archived