• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle needs to stop crying about draft picks

MGH1989

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have said it numerous times, on field tanking is not real. It has probably never been real. Tanking is a front office thing. Tanking is jettisoning all your talent to obtain draft picks and setting the team up for failure. However, the coaches and players don't give a poo about those draft picks during the season nor should they.

The Colts absolutely tanked for Luck

43 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The chiefs got lucky. Reid admitted he didn’t think Mahomes was going to be this good.

Dumb luck is not a strategy we can rely on.

The draft is a crap shoot at best. No.matter where you draft there are no guarantees. And after Sean Payton said Mahomes was the best workout he has ever seen by a college QB, it hardly seems luck that KC picked him. Reid knows something about offense 

43 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

You entirely missed the point. The Chiefs were winning before Mahomes, somehow got a generational QB without tanking and they now continue to win at an even higher level. There is more than one way to get good. A top 3 pick doesn’t mean anything. The Jets just wasted Sam Darnold because their organizational structure is putrid.

“Somehow”’is the right word here. It took a lot of luck to do what they did. It’s not a repeatable strategy.

Also, they weren’t winning. They had Alex smith. They were on a path to continue their long tradition of 8-8 seasons for another decade or two.

Yes, finding an elite QB takes a lot of luck. Most don’t work out long term, but a top pick at the right time gives us a better chance.

Hoping to luck into a diamond in the rough is a hail marry.

This is a prime example of a person who misinterprets the fan base's actions and then builds a "holier than thou" argument against that misinterpretation.

1.  First, let's get this out of the way---how is the season interesting once your team is eliminated if there is no incentive to watch?  Nobody wants to watch 11 2021 preseason games in 2020.  The team controls the fans' reactions, not the other way around. Losing should send a fan into personnel evaluation mode.   This is not fair-weather fandom--it is year-round fandom. 

2. Nobody who ever played the game thinks the players or coaches would tank, but that does not mean you cannot wish the team will play well and still lose-especially in a year when you need a QB and the draft seems ripe at QB.  Cam was a first-overall pick.  That worked out for this franchise--imagine if we had won a few meaningless games down the stretch the season before he was drafted. 

Having said that, I agree with the premise--as a fan, I want the Panthers to win; as a realist, I know that trading away the farm for a QB (as was suggested) opposed to drafting one has a far more adverse impact on the culture.

Having said that, we have Bridgewater and his 70% screen pass and checkdown completion percentage.  We need LT, LG, TE, and a QB to develop.  On defense, we need a LB to keep Chinn at S in the big nickel and we could use a CB, DT, and S.

But you do not build a culture after the team is eliminated.  That is BS.  There is no pressure.  Players are not competing against the other team, they are competing for jobs.  You have to know that.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

“Somehow”’is the right word here. It took a lot of luck to do what they did. It’s not a repeatable strategy.

Also, they weren’t winning. They had Alex smith. They were on a path to continue their long tradition of 8-8 seasons for another decade or two.

Yes, finding an elite QB takes a lot of luck. Most don’t work out long term, but a top pick at the right time gives us a better chance.

Hoping to luck into a diamond in the rough is a hail marry.

Uhh what.. the year they drafted Mahomes they won the AFC west for the second time in a row and if you total up their record from  2015-2017 (3 seasons) they were  33-15.... and havent had an 8-8 or less season since 2012.....

Where are you getting your information?

54 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

I can’t understand you from all the crying you are doing. Wipe away your tears sweetheart. It will be okay. 

Effective use of facts to defend your argument.  Why do you have to make it personal and insulting?  Is this all you have?

This is all about entertainment.  How anyone chooses to be a fan is up to that individual.  To be honest, not having a top QB makes you mediocre, and not having the ability to win with a good QB does a lot to a culture.  Ever been on a team when the QB can't get you the ball when you are open?   Ever been on a defense that busts its butt to get the offense the ball back and watch the QB throw checkdown after checkdown on third and long, only to watch the punt team run out and give it back?

That chips away at the culture, because the culture can be negative just as easily as it can be positive.  What inspires a bad team?  Hope.  What builds hope more than anything else?  A new QB. 

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

Yes Rivera definitely knew what he was doing by letting Peyton hand him games to lose picks every year.    It worked out well for us.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "they're professionals" argument. Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney were "professionals".

It's always framed as "they know better than us'. This i's true, but it's not their job to know better than us. Their job is to know better than guys like Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis.

The good part is that I do feel like we have a smarter coach than Ron Rivera now, and there are some very good candidates for the GM job available as well.

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This is all about entertainment.  How anyone chooses to be a fan is up to that individual.  To be honest, not having a top QB makes you mediocre, and not having the ability to win with a good QB does a lot to a culture.  Ever been on a team when the QB can't get you the ball when you are open?   Ever been on a defense that busts its butt to get the offense the ball back and watch the QB throw checkdown after checkdown on third and long, only to watch the punt team run out and give it back?

That chips away at the culture, because the culture can be negative just as easily as it can be positive.  What inspires a bad team?  Hope.  What builds hope more than anything else?  A new QB. 

I'm never a fan of losing, but I'm also a realist, and as a realist I'll say this:

It's a whole lot easier to "build a winning culture" when you have a franchise quarterback.

Archived