• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At 9, The Carolina Panthers Will Select

jfra78

I'm all for it! Like I said on twitter, no one should compare this guy to Isaiah Simmons. Simmons was much more of a tweener and never mastered one position just like Shaq Thompson did for Washington in that way. However, Micah Parson is a new era prototypical Mike in the NFL, everyone wants to talk about position value, but if your GUY (Qb) is gone don't reach. Get the sure fire baller on the defense to round out you elite young defense, just look at what Darius Leonard is doing in Indianapolis. You're talking about a game changer! He literally won them the game against the Texans 2 weeks ago with a Force fumble on the 1 yard line. Parsons is crazy good rusher because he was a DE in high school, so Phil snow could have a field day with sending him on the opposite side as Spida burns or straight up the A gap. If he's there and Zack Wilson is gone, you get this kid.

2 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Good linebackers are taken on day two almost every single year. In the modern NFL spending a top ten pick on an off ball linebacker is an awful allocation of resources.

Agree, Chiefs got Willie Gay Jr in the 2nd round this year, we even got Chinn in the 2nd. Parsons would have a RB type of effect on the defense which certainly is nice but it'd be nice to allocate the high picks to more diverse positions.

7-10 might put them in position to draft the first corner off the board, if we're so obsessed with defense why not press for Farley or Surtain, have a good group of corners to match the skill players on offense?  Can still find a good coverage LB on day 2 or 3.

2 hours ago, Rags said:

Shaq has improved and JCJ has been solid. We don't need LB at all and even if he's an upgrade to JCJ or Shaq, it won't change or defensive deficiencies that much.

I mean, I agree with letting players we've drafted grow into their roles, like with the Rams. Thats another team that's proven if you are rebuilding a defense you can get by with less than ideal talent at LB while having stars up front and on the back end (Donald and Ramsey). Might be a smart move considering the offensive line and secondary still need talent to compete and they need it soon, imo, and the LBs are sufficient to at least hold it down for a year. 

2 hours ago, Tbe said:

You can’t ‘reach’ when it comes to a QB. Their positional value is just that high.

You can make a bad pick, but you can’t reach.

Ask yourself, was the Mahomes pick a reach? They had a serviceable QB at the time. Mahomes wasn’t rated all that high. 

The impact an Elite QB has means you get one at all costs. 

Mahomes was also a “project” qb that needed to sit for a year. What happened after he sat for a year? Experts suggesting qbs would be better off as a backup year 1 isn’t as much a a knock as some believe it to be 

Considering how the offensive line might need starters at multiple positions due to free agent losses and injury insurance for injured players, trading down is likely a legit option if there are no QBs they feel strongly about. I like the top four personally and would trade down to accrue the draft assets if unable to get one of them, but I'm a random dude on the internet.

Also, didn't Rhule wanna trade down last year but Hurney was set on Brown? I guess I'm fine with that scenario in particular since Brown looks like a franchise face, team leader type of guy going forward but trading down seems like a forward thinking, aggressive approach and to me that's encouraging. Also read somewhere random that Rhule has a knack for to developing great athletes and if Donte Jackson/Curtis Samuel are any indication I'm all for trading down and drafting a lot of athletes in case of no QB. 

I think we'll be drafting higher than 9.

In trying to predict what the Panthers will do in this draft we need to use our most recent draft. We tipped our hand in that we were going to draft Herbert had he been available, which means that if we have a shot at a QB who is a better prospect than Teddy we pick him. Trey Lance will probably be available at our pick, so it comes down to how our scouts see him. I think drafting Trey is a high probability assuming he does well at the combine.

Assuming Trey doesn't impress our scouts and they prefer Teddy we might look to trade down for more picks if some other team is high on Trey Lance. Rhule might have gotten Marty fired due to a disagreement on what to do in the last draft. Rhule wanted to trade down, but Marty was insistent on drafting Brown. Rhule seems like a nice "aw shucks" nice kind of guy, but he certainly is not. Rhule has a supreme belief in his ability to create a winning team, and he is power hungry. He wants as many picks as possible because it allows him to more quickly dump players he didn't have a hand in picking. Rhule wants the old players out as quickly as possible within reason, but of course with the obvious superstars like CMC staying.

We'll be picking in the CB sweet spot in this draft, and we don't have a #1CB. That should tell you that CB is a highly likely pick if Lance looks like a bust, and we can't find a trade partner. Caleb Farley could be the pick.

Rhule wants a balanced offense, so we need to be able to run and pass well. We don't have the kind of o-line that can run on any team, so look for o-line upgrades later in the draft.

So what do I think ultimately?

Most likely:

QB - Trey Lance

Less likely:

CB - Caleb Farey

Long shot:

TE - Kyle Pitts (we need a red zone target)

Archived