• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

can anyone prove that a sports franchise has ever purposely lost games to have a higher draft pick?

GOAT

14 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

After you block someone, you have the options to do that. You can also edit your ignored users as well.
image.thumb.png.c6e1c86f2f3a4b05575ee3fc30fc0f8f.png

I have all that selected but if SizzleBuzz pies or poos something I can see it. And when users white him I still see it. 

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

Not sure if its intentional or not, but Cleveland has been tanking for 20 years.  If they win today, it might finally pay off.  

When it’s been that bad for that long it’s just being a poorly run organization from the top on down. 

15 hours ago, onmyown said:

It most certainly has happened. If you need ‘proof’ you’re extremely dense and must live a rough life.

Because it’s in between the lines, the proof is in observation and just a tad of logic. Guys are playing for contracts and ‘proof’ would be a legal issue for owners, teams, franchises and players. No one is going to come out and give you solid proof on paper and recordings lol.

lol wow, so "I must live a rough life" because I don't believe that there is any evidence of a sports franchise losing on purpose for draft positioning? love the self projecting here.

5 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Lol, like we did in 2010. These are things you do when “can’t miss” prospects are declaring for the draft and your current core is done. We got Cam out of it. People here wanted to do the same thing for Lawrence/Fields this year, but we signed Teddy and a couple mediocre guys to prevent that. That is why smart fans are pissed. You don’t compete every year without a FRANCHISE QB! Do you not understand why people are frustrated?! Dumbass

lol wow, only on the internet would someone call another person a fugging idiot over asking for any evidence of a sports franchise losing on purpose for draft positioning. we didn't know if we were drafting cam, AJ green, PP, or Blane Gabbert that year with the first pick. we chose the right guy. we did not tank for that opportunity. if anything the tank talk was about Luck that year.

4 minutes ago, GOAT said:

lol wow, so "I must live a rough life" because I don't believe that there is any evidence of a sports franchise losing on purpose for draft positioning? love the self projecting here.

lol wow, only on the internet would someone call another person a fugging idiot over asking for any evidence of a sports franchise losing on purpose for draft positioning. we didn't know if we were drafting cam, AJ green, PP, or Blane Gabbert that year with the first pick. we chose the right guy. we did not tank for that opportunity. if anything the tank talk was about Luck that year.

You have no idea if the organization didn’t know who they were drafting ahead of time. 

17 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

Baseball is notorious for this when teams want to go through a "rebuild". The Atlanta Braves did it a few years back. The Houston Astros were bad for a stretch of 5-6 years and reaped the benefits of it.   

I'm not saying that you mean it as such, but no way baseball teams suck for a draft pick that may make the bigs in several years... No. They do, on other hand, not send money but for other reasons.

And because wikipedia is known to be The Most Accurate Website On The Internet, there's this tanking scandal
(that it had intentionally lost matches near the end of the season so that it would receive a priority draft pick in the upcoming draft. The club was found not guilty of charges related to tanking, but senior coach Dean Bailey and general manager of football operations Chris Connolly were both found guilty of related charges.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Football_Club_tanking_scandal

57 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Not because you don’t believe in any evidence, but because you don’t understand why there isn’t any ‘evidence’. And then as a side note, infer evidence is the only thing that makes things true. Kind of like not comprehending ‘coach speak’. Basically not being able to read between lines, and apply logic, only requiring ‘evidence’ while failing to understand circumstances. Politics must confuse the hell out of you.

Yea, I’d assume those types of people have a rough life and feel constantly fooled...or actually believe things as they’re presented to them. This thread...case in point.

Teams aren't going to come out and say it 99% of the time because they'd lose sponsorships and sales and the leagues frown on it. The NBA condemned  the 76ers for it and changed the draft as a result. 

When you're the sort of bottom of the barrel team that's in the running you don't even have to do much to "throw" games anyway. Jaguars have been linked to Lawrence for as long as I've known about him you're fooling yourself if you think they were giving it their all every week and just happened to be that bad.

Archived