• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated GM Update

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I could have sworn there was a report after we fired Hurney saying our team was a very desirable GM spot. What happened? Not firing Hurney when we fired Ron was a huge mistake. Wasn’t Hurney a big reason why we hired Rhule? Now, the new GM won’t be able to get his “guy” and they probably realize Rhule has a ton of control. Could this turn ugly for us?

Tepper has the money to make people interested 

No idea on who we prefer and what’s happened so far but maybe Dodds didn’t have a great interview/we told him we were likely going elsewhere. He could be saving face or we agreed he could say that, etc. No idea who the Ravens guy was but if I’m invited to interview and I know I have no chance, I may decline.

Anyway, just saying that we are very likely to never talk about people we didn’t hire and why so you can’t take every candidate’s tweet as exactly what happened like he spurned us because we aren’t desirable or Rhule said he wouldn’t have any say. If you are a hot candidate you may try to save face if you know you aren’t getting it. He accepted and did the interview so he was interested.

It might be he wasn't all that impressed with us.

There's also the possibility that he got the impression the job was going to somebody else, though I think it's more likely he just decided sticking with his current job was better (like Stephen Holder said).

Haven't read much of the thread please delete if this has been mentioned:

January 10th, 2021 at 4:32pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg

We’ve known for a few days now that the Texans’ process in hiring Nick Caserio didn’t sit well with Deshaun Watson, and as we get more details it’s not hard to see why.

It appears owner Cal McNair acted quite erratically, disregarding the advice of the search firm he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars. The situation is even more bizarre than that though, as he had apparently already offered the job to Steelers exec Omar Khan before changing his mind at the last minute and pivoting to Caserio, a source told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com. Florio adds the team was even in the midst of negotiating a contract with Khan at the time the decision was made.

Apparently, controversial executive Jack Easterby got McNair’s ear one last time before things were finalized, and convinced him to backtrack. The whole thing appears to be dysfunctional, which is Watson’s main source of frustration, and may cause him to demand a trade. Florio notes that agent Bob LaMonte represents both Caserio and Easterby, and a source told him LaMonte placed a phone call to McNair that also helped swing things.

LaMonte reportedly told McNair that Caserio was going to become GM of the Panthers if he didn’t hire him. Florio also reports that Texans team president Jamey Rootes is very upset with how everything has played out, and people around the league think he’s on the verge of an exit.

One source said Rootes already has tried to resign, but that he’s been convinced by McNair to hold off in order for the team not to look too chaotic right now. Given everything that has been trickling out, that might be impossible.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It might be he wasn't all that impressed with us.

There's also the possibility that he got the impression the job was going to somebody else, though I think it's more likely he just decided sticking with his current job was better (like Stephen Holder said).

I imagine it's because he's not going to have total control - he wants his first GM job to be his last. 

This isn't the dream job for a power hungry GM. The guy that gets it is going to have to work closely with Rhule - with probably equal power. 

I sure hope the interview with Peters went well. 

Dodds was my second choice, but something about the process made him withdraw his name.  It is either he felt like he wouldn't have as much say as he wanted in his 1st GM role or there's a leak within the league that the Panthers already have made their choice and are teeing up.

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Omg if it’s Ireland I will be sick, he is terrible. The saints are only good because of Payton and Brees. Don’t want him, please don’t do it Tepper

Look I hate the Saints with a passion, but they aren't just Brees and Payton anymore.

Their defense is solid (Lattimore, Janoris Jenkins, Malcolm Jenkins, Jordan, Hendrickson, Alexander), they have Kamara, Thomas, a TE playing really well lately in Cook, Hill is a weapon, Emmanuel Sanders).

They have a pretty damn good team.

2 hours ago, BlackCats2013 said:

Haven't read much of the thread please delete if this has been mentioned:

January 10th, 2021 at 4:32pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg

We’ve known for a few days now that the Texans’ process in hiring Nick Caserio didn’t sit well with Deshaun Watson, and as we get more details it’s not hard to see why.

It appears owner Cal McNair acted quite erratically, disregarding the advice of the search firm he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars. The situation is even more bizarre than that though, as he had apparently already offered the job to Steelers exec Omar Khan before changing his mind at the last minute and pivoting to Caserio, a source told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com. Florio adds the team was even in the midst of negotiating a contract with Khan at the time the decision was made.

Apparently, controversial executive Jack Easterby got McNair’s ear one last time before things were finalized, and convinced him to backtrack. The whole thing appears to be dysfunctional, which is Watson’s main source of frustration, and may cause him to demand a trade. Florio notes that agent Bob LaMonte represents both Caserio and Easterby, and a source told him LaMonte placed a phone call to McNair that also helped swing things.

LaMonte reportedly told McNair that Caserio was going to become GM of the Panthers if he didn’t hire him. Florio also reports that Texans team president Jamey Rootes is very upset with how everything has played out, and people around the league think he’s on the verge of an exit.

One source said Rootes already has tried to resign, but that he’s been convinced by McNair to hold off in order for the team not to look too chaotic right now. Given everything that has been trickling out, that might be impossible.

I'm a little surprised that Tepper hasn't brought Khan or Hunt in from the Steelers for an interview.

1 hour ago, BurnNChinn said:

Omg if it’s Ireland I will be sick, he is terrible. The saints are only good because of Payton and Brees. Don’t want him, please don’t do it Tepper

I get it. His time with the Dolphins was AWFUL. But since being named the Saints' director of college scouting, the Saints have been the best team in the NFL at drafting in that time span. Like, not even close either. That haul where they got like Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara, Hendrickson and Anzalone might be the best haul in NFL history.

Archived