• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dwayne Haskins visiting the Carolina Panthers today

Zod

GettyImages-1183112613.jpg

While the Washington Football Team is set for a playoff game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today, its former quarterback is getting set for his first trip.

Sources say that Dwayne Haskins will leave Sunday night on a free-agent visit with the Carolina Panthers, one that will begin in earnest on Monday morning.

It is the first trip for the former first-rounder who was waived by Washington on Dec. 28, then cleared waivers thanks in part to his $4.3 million in remaining salary that Washington will cover. The new team would likely only pay Haskins the minimum.

There is uncertainty for the Panthers heading into the 2021 season at quarterback, with Teddy Bridgewater being pulled in his last start and head coach Matt Rhule saying Bridgewater must have a "tremendous offseason."

Could Haskins be part of the solution? There are other teams with interest in the talented player who was picked No. 15 in 2019, and this could be just fact-finding for Carolina.

However, if it goes well for both sides, it could turn into a signing. Rhule has known Haskins since high school, and Ryan Day -- Haskins' coach at Ohio State -- worked with Rhule at Temple in 2006. There are connections, and Carolina is doing its homework.

... source

2 minutes ago, WS Pantherfan said:

If Haskins does end up getting signed by the Panthers what are the chances we still draft a QB in the first round? Would we just go BPA and not resolve the QB issue?

I don't think it has much to do with who we would take in round 1. They aren't bringing him in as a starter prospect. 

1 minute ago, WS Pantherfan said:

If Haskins does end up getting signed by the Panthers what are the chances we still draft a QB in the first round? Would we just go BPA and not resolve the QB issue?

Considering how bad he has shown to be I hope not. They would have no means of evaluating his actual performance in person before the draft.

3 minutes ago, TSLA said:

I like it a lot. Joe Brady is the guy that transformed Joe Burrow who’s job was taken by Haskins at OSU into the Heisman Winner and #1 pick in 2020. Maybe, Brady can do the same thing to Haskins who was highly touted coming out of OSU and never lived up to the hype. I would love to see what Haskins could do with guys like CMC, Moore and Anderson. If he doesn’t perform, we can then take Tyler Shough in 2022. 

92FF069E-4B3A-4EE2-849E-8FD51B47DFB1.webp 46.22 kB · 2 downloads

Maybe he can turn around Haskins career like he did Teddys......

6 minutes ago, TSLA said:

Teddy in 2020 is Teddy ever since he was drafted. Just look at the stats. Brady actually did a good job with Teddy this past season. What sucked was giving him $60 million, not the inability to develop Teddy. 

I agree, Rhule screwed us with Teddy.

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I agree, Rhule screwed us with Teddy.

I know I've been saying this for too long but we could have gotten similar production from Kyle Allen and put that $20m per season into other places on the team. Imagine more depth in the secondary and o-line this past season? I hate thinking about it.

Rhule knows him and if anyone can get the most out of someone like him, its Rhule. I trust our staff with him and if it works out, great. If not, then you're not losing anything. I think Washington didn't handle him well but I think his trouble there has hopefully helped him grow up. I think its a win win for us if the visit goes well.

25 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I want to see him learn and compete in a system that is not a complete train wreck! He's obviously not ready to be a pro, but that doesn't mean that he will never be ready!

I think that’s fair. It can’t hurt too much if Rhule is even considering bringing him in. Just hope that his same attitude issues that were apparent in Washington don’t come with him, and if they do then especially that they don’t rub off on others here. But yeah he definitely has the upside there to at least be a decent backup. Still definitely want to draft a QB high in the 1st round this year. 

Archived