• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Washington Football Team finalizing deal with Marty Hurney

Zod

15 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

What is the best case that a #1 CB can do in a game? 

shut down 1 players, easily beat by just passing away from him. I’d rather have a top shelf LBer or DL that can affect multiple aspects of every play than a CB that really only comes in handy 2-4 times a year.

CB’s are luxuries if you don’t have the other pieces in place. If you have a solid defense in place already they’re amazing to have. See 2015 panthers defense. But otherwise they are expensive money pits that should be used elsewhere. 

also see Josh Norman and the redskins after signing him.

There's some logic too that. Makes a lot more sense to have a pipeline of defensive backs than to spend big on them.

Gotta say, the feeling of relief I had when they fired Marty was great. It intensified when they hired someone I felt was a good choice in Scott Fitterer.

Marty made cheering for the Panthers difficult because it always felt like a lost cause. It was like tuning into a Syfy original movie with the hope that maybe this time the acting and the special effects were really going to be good. You could make an effort to be as optimistic as possible but deep down you knew that in the end, you were gonna be disappointed.

I understand how you feel, Washington fans.

But no offense, better you than us.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Rhule had been here almost 3 months. And he was GM. So what. Did he have the power to sign anyone that Rhule didn’t approve of? No he didn’t. Unless you can point me to any player Hurney signed without Rhule’s approval, it’s just blaming someone who didn’t have the power to act on any thoughts he had. Just because someone put out the “company” line almost immediately after the firing, doesn’t mean the Rhule didn’t make the final decision. 

The point isn't that Rhule was against signing Teddy in general.  The point is Hurney lobbied the hardest for him and is the main culprit behind the contract he got.  Rhule may have been okay with signing Teddy, but everything Rhule and Tepper have ever said has made it clear they were cool with a rebuild.  I seriously doubt they were sold on signing Bridgewater to the deal Hurney gave him, BUT I imagine that Rhule was still at a point early in their relationship that he was willing to trust Hurney and his evaluation.

It isn't a coincidence that Hurney didn't get fired until Bridgewater made it 100% clear to everyone (although it was clear to most of us) that he sucked.  

There is just no way Bridgewater gets signed to that contract if it was Rhule's decision only.  Rhule and Tepper were okay with sucking in 2020.  And this isn't about pawning the bad moves off on Hurney.  Even without RoaringRiot's input, if you read between the lines, it was a Hurney move through and through.

I never understood why people thought Joe Brady himself influenced it.  I do think Hurney considered the connection between TB-Brady, but I doubt first-time NFL OC Brady, who just came from LSU, ever had enough influence to say "this is the QB we should and will sign."  It was a Hurney decision, with reluctant backing from Rhule.  And as soon as Bridgewater officially flamed out, Hurney got fired and Rhule has all but said he doesn't want Teddy as his QB much longer.

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

What is the best case that a #1 CB can do in a game? 

shut down 1 players, easily beat by just passing away from him. I’d rather have a top shelf LBer or DL that can affect multiple aspects of every play than a CB that really only comes in handy 2-4 times a year.

CB’s are luxuries if you don’t have the other pieces in place. If you have a solid defense in place already they’re amazing to have. See 2015 panthers defense. But otherwise they are expensive money pits that should be used elsewhere. 

also see Josh Norman and the redskins after signing him.

oh wee mayne

• Pie 3

Trying to determine which position is more important than another is always difficult and almost never an argument worth having.  People underestimate how much every position on the field works together.  Even when people say RBs aren't important, I scoff.  The problem with RB isn't its importance, but its longevity.  

With that said, it isn't about CB being more or less important than LB.  It comes down to this... Bradberry was clearly a better CB than Thompson was a LB.  Bradberry got way too much crap here from fans who didn't realize that a large part of it was our soft coverage scheme we'd routinely run.  Whenever we let Bradberry do what he did best, he always excelled.  I actually think the last 2 years have been some of Thompson's best with us so far (especially 2019), but he's still just not the player Bradberry is.  Bradberry will consistently be one of the best in the league at deflecting passes and taking on the bigger, physical freak WRs in the league, and he is one of the absolute best corners when it comes to run support.  Thompson has never had that kind of impact on the game, at least beyond spurts.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

The point isn't that Rhule was against signing Teddy in general.  The point is Hurney lobbied the hardest for him and is the main culprit behind the contract he got.  Rhule may have been okay with signing Teddy, but everything Rhule and Tepper have ever said has made it clear they were cool with a rebuild.  I seriously doubt they were sold on signing Bridgewater to the deal Hurney gave him, BUT I imagine that Rhule was still at a point early in their relationship that he was willing to trust Hurney and his evaluation.

It isn't a coincidence that Hurney didn't get fired until Bridgewater made it 100% clear to everyone (although it was clear to most of us) that he sucked.  

There is just no way Bridgewater gets signed to that contract if it was Rhule's decision only.  Rhule and Tepper were okay with sucking in 2020.  And this isn't about pawning the bad moves off on Hurney.  Even without RoaringRiot's input, if you read between the lines, it was a Hurney move through and through.

I never understood why people thought Joe Brady himself influenced it.  I do think Hurney considered the connection between TB-Brady, but I doubt first-time NFL OC Brady, who just came from LSU, ever had enough influence to say "this is the QB we should and will sign."  It was a Hurney decision, with reluctant backing from Rhule.  And as soon as Bridgewater officially flamed out, Hurney got fired and Rhule has all but said he doesn't want Teddy as his QB much longer.

What lines should I be reading between? Because nothing is going to add up to that work of fiction. Rhule made every decision. Period. You can’t pick and choose which ones he doesn’t get credit/blame for. So Hurney “lobbied” for this, but that was never mentioned until he was fired? Pretty convenient PR for a horrible mistake made by the ONE person who had final say. 

Brady was the only coach who had ever even been around TB before he signed. Coached him an entire year in NO. But Hurney was the “voice” that made Rhule do this? LOL. OK. What other moves did Rhule follow Hurneys lead on? If a first year scout gives an opinion on a player, and Rhule acts on it, who is responsible? Rhule, the decision maker, or the scout? 

i hope redskins fans like hearing

“we needed more depth at RB” after their first round pick

”we had a first round grade on him” after their second round pick

”we think we can convert him to safety” after their third round pick 

“we traded up for an H-back” after their 4th round pick

year after year

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

What lines should I be reading between? Because nothing is going to add up to that work of fiction. Rhule made every decision. Period. You can’t pick and choose which ones he doesn’t get credit/blame for. So Hurney “lobbied” for this, but that was never mentioned until he was fired? Pretty convenient PR for a horrible mistake made by the ONE person who had final say. 

Who is picking and choosing?

Rhule's college career was based off sucking and slowly improving the team and the culture.  Tepper literally said that this was going to be a process that took time.  Both made it clear they were going to be content with a bad year.  What did either of them gain by signing Teddy to that contract?

And this is why you seem to have struggle understanding what we are saying.  Nobody is saying Hurney forced Bridgewater on Rhule.  Yes, if Rhule 100% was against it, it wouldn't have happened.  What we're saying is Hurney is the one who pounded the table the most for Bridgewater and Rhule, while not the biggest fan of the idea, was willingly to go with it because it was still early in their partnership.

Why do you think Tepper waited to fire Hurney until after Bridgewater officially sealed his fate with his performances and after Rhule began to sound less committed to TB going forward?  Why do you think Rhule and co. are already committed to getting a new QB?