Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Charlotte Pipe and Foundry asks to rezone property


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Zod said:

He can build 12 stadiums for all I care. I don't like multimillionaires to ask for our tax money to do it though.

Multibillionaire asking for tax money is even less likable.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TSLA said:

Will it be a stadium near me with Teddy Bridgwater playing QB or with a young true franchise QB? That’s the real question. I like your username. Pretty awesome.

record player spinning GIF by Red Bull

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Zod said:

He can build 12 stadiums for all I care. I don't like multimillionaires to ask for our tax money to do it though.

I do agree with this, but I just worry that if our city council decides to take that stance the elected officials in upstate South Carolina won't hesitate to give the help Tepper asks for.  It's a very difficult situation for them.  Do you want to be the ones in charge when the Panthers move to Rock Hill?  Yikes.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Dont know if y'all know anything about land or acreage, but 55 acres is about the size of a Food Lion and parking lot. A big Food Lion, but still, a small office park.

That’s one big ass Food Lion, being as the current area for the stadium and practice facilities is only 33 acres

FCA6B6DE-13ED-4C8A-BF36-AD5A3D3D8312.png

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Zod said:

He can build 12 stadiums for all I care. I don't like multimillionaires to ask for our tax money to do it though.

You do realize, the more he builds, the bigger the city/state tax rolls get right? Maybe not directly on new stadium land, but for ALL the new development it will spur in the area.

City taxes paid for the light rail...remember Southend didn't look like this 10 years ago.  All those new apartments, restaurants, office towers are now huge property tax payers for the next 50 years. 

You have to spend money to make money...city included. 

Could he do it without assistance?  Sure.  Is it in the best interest to the city of Charlotte if he does it uptown vs unincorporated Meck county, you're damn right it is.  A stadium in a field on the border spurs no growth. A billionaire developer re-doing an entire blank canvas section of uptown can transform a city.  

  • Pie 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Zod said:

He can build 12 stadiums for all I care. I don't like multimillionaires to ask for our tax money to do it though.

What rock have you been hiding under?  This is how your government works. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

You do realize, the more he builds, the bigger the city/state tax rolls get right? Maybe not directly on new stadium land, but for ALL the new development it will spur in the area.

City taxes paid for the light rail...remember Southend didn't look like this 10 years ago.  All those new apartments, restaurants, office towers are now huge property tax payers for the next 50 years. 

You have to spend money to make money...city included. 

Could he do it without assistance?  Sure.  Is it in the best interest to the city of Charlotte if he does it uptown vs unincorporated Meck county, you're damn right it is.  A stadium in a field on the border spurs no growth. A billionaire developer re-doing an entire blank canvas section of uptown can transform a city.  

There have been numerous studies looking at the economic impact of publicly funding stadiums. I'm not aware of a single one that found it to be a positive use of funds.

  • Beer 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zod said:

He can build 12 stadiums for all I care. I don't like multimillionaires to ask for our tax money to do it though.

It’s the new norm everywhere in the world now.  Rich do not spend a dime anymore.   Stan Kroenke (Rams owner) bought Arsenal, one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world, purely with a loan from the bank with almost 0% interest.  Then he sold all of the best players and paid off the team (he also used team TV proceeds to pay for his loan).  Now he have a team worth $2.5B that he literally paid nothing for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Dont know if y'all know anything about land or acreage, but 55 acres is about the size of a Food Lion and parking lot. A big Food Lion, but still, a small office park.

As someone pointed out, it’s bigger than the current site.

image.thumb.jpeg.278eea78d0631995cc4e5bbcb5736298.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Then you better hope he buys this site and builds his new stadium there. A new stadium will be built at some point and this is your best shot.

im not convinced he is moving to buy....the CPF family just getting set up to be ready

SC is going to have a HUGE say in all of this before it is over

one thing i do feel certain of, tepper wants a spaceship stadium so he can host a super bowl, & he will build it in SC if CLT doesnt give him what he wants

i dont think any of this moves forward until the complex down in Rock Hill is finished

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Dont know if y'all know anything about land or acreage, but 55 acres is about the size of a Food Lion and parking lot. A big Food Lion, but still, a small office park.

you can build a grocery store on less than 10 acres, possibly 5 acres...including parking

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There have been numerous studies looking at the economic impact of publicly funding stadiums. I'm not aware of a single one that found it to be a positive use of funds.

Moving stadium to Pipe and Foundry location would requiring rerouting railroad and possibly build new bridges because it might impact 77 or 277.  At least that’s what reported initially.  I think the new stadium will be in Fort Mill area in future.  A ton of land and 15 minutes from uptown.

Edited by Ja Rhule
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...