• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gil Brandt weighs in on Carolina QB options

Zod

14 hours ago, Zod said:

Gil Brandt has about as much respect as anyone could in the NFl community. 

He says:

"I think Carolina is a darkhorse team to watch in any Matthew Stafford trade. Sweet spot for me is teams in the backend of the first round. Panthers are at No. 8, which would give Lions two in top 10. Teddy Bridgewater isn't answer in Carolina. Stafford has several good years left."

I'd listen.

A three team scenario with Carolina trading back to the 15-20 range to acquire, say, an additional 2nd and 3rd, then trading that #15-20 pick to the Lions for Stafford would be an attractive scenario.  I don't think there's enough tread left on those tires to warrant a top 10 pick though.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

A three team scenario with Carolina trading back to the 15-20 range to acquire, say, an additional 2nd and 3rd, then trading that #15-20 pick to the Lions for Stafford would be an attractive scenario.  I don't think there's enough tread left on those tires to warrant a top 10 pick though.

This is how they have to think--we cannot sell the farm. 

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This is how they have to think--we cannot sell the farm. 

Exactly.  He's worth a mid to late first.  I truly believe that... but Carolina needs to get compensation for that #8 pick beyond just Stafford...  unless Detroit would be willing to part with a 2nd and 3rd, but I don't see that happening.  They are rebuilding.  We need a team on the cusp who wants to move up and is willing to pay the price to do so.  Any logical scenario would require three teams in my mind.

Who knows. I feel like it's just a lot of speculation as I'm sure the personnel side is tight lipped at this point about their intentions.  It just doesn't make much sense form either side to be fast tracking this team building at this point and hamstringing the drafts of the next few years. Now is the time to put in that work.

26 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Exactly.  He's worth a mid to late first.  I truly believe that... but Carolina needs to get compensation for that #8 pick beyond just Stafford...  unless Detroit would be willing to part with a 2nd and 3rd, but I don't see that happening.  They are rebuilding.  We need a team on the cusp who wants to move up and is willing to pay the price to do so.  Any logical scenario would require three teams in my mind.

I also wouldn't want to trade 8 for Stafford straight up, BUT, If we gave them 8 and we got their 2nd and Stafford, I think I'd prlly do it.  I do think Stafford has some good years left, and I don't care how many picks Detroit has, they are one of the worst run teams in the NFL and only rivaled by some of the most dysfunctional organizations in recent history, and as bad as the panthers have been, we're in NO WAY nearly as screwed up as they are.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Jmac said:

He isn't worth our 8th pick. This team is still a couple seasons away from being very good....he will be on a downward trend by then. We would still be looking for a QB, without the luxury of a top ten pick.

I'm not endorsing the Stafford trade but I don't buy this team being several seasons away from being good.    The too many holes thought process. 

We were in essentially every game last season.  That was without CMC and with a QB who refused to throw the ball downfield.   That includes games against juggernauts like Kansas City. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm not endorsing the Stafford trade but I don't buy this team being several seasons away from being good.    The too many holes thought process. 

We were in essentially every game last season.  That was without CMC and with a QB who refused to throw the ball downfield.   That includes games against juggernauts like Kansas City. 

I agree.  To me, with competent QB play the Panthers were EASILY a 10 win team, even without CMC the whole year.

18 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

I mean at his age stafford could play out the entirety of Matt rules first contract 

when looked at it that way it could be a worthwhile investment for rhule and co

This is a textbook argument on why coaches shouldn't wield personnel control

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I do not think you can trade draft picks alone for a veteran QB---salary cap.  We need to send a player to swap contracts a bit---I say Shaq Thompson has to be on the block.  He is not worth $14m---

I would offer Shaq + his salary, a second rounder, and a second rounder in 2022.  Then I would move back with the #8 picks for more picks--grab a T and a LB.

We don't need to swap contracts at all, Stafford is only about $20m.  Cutting Teddy and KK gets there, not to mention multiple other restructures you could easily do to make it work.

If Shaq gets moved its because he got cut, nobody wants to trade for his $10m salary next year.

Are we all assuming Stafford doesn’t have a say where he wants to go?  Doubtful the Lions send him to a team without his approval. 

if I’m Stafford, I am going to where I can win Championships right away: Patriots, Saints, and Colts all need a new QB (assuming Brees retires).