• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Matt Rhule: “Very urgent” to have QB who makes plays in crucial situations

WarPanthers89

15 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Pretty disingenuous to knock Cam for a lack of fourth quarter comebacks. Numerous times he would get the team ahead only to have the defense blow it at the end. Or Deangelo Williams fumble. Or Ron just horribly mismanaging every aspect of the game. 

The stats don't really back this up... There is plenty of blame to go around, Cam included.

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

That's not knocking Cam, he's just simply pointing out a stat.

That said, I don't put nearly as much emphasis on "4th quarter comebacks" nor wins when it come to QB evaluation as many do.

Same.

Fourth quarter comeback means you were losing after the first three.

It's exciting to watch and all but I'd rather see us be consistent for an entire 60 minutes.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

All props to Voth for digging that up, but trailing at the half is VERY different than being within one score, with the ball, in the fourth.  This year we lost 8 games by one score or less.  I'm pretty sure we had the ball in the fourth with a chance in all eight.

Those 35 games Voth is talking about, we have no idea how those games played out in the fourth.  Ok, we were trailing at the half.  Did we ever get within one score or were they blowouts?

We only had three not close losses this year.  Two of them were to the guys currently waiting to play in the Super Bowl . . . the second of which was tied at the half.  We also had a close loss to KC this year . . . a game we were leading at half time.

Not sure exactly what Voth was trying to do there.  Seems a little "spin-ish" to me.

I don't actually think he's trying to spin anything.

He's basically just pointing out that we're not very good, and haven't been for a while longer than just this past year.

33 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Pretty disingenuous to knock Cam for a lack of fourth quarter comebacks. Numerous times he would get the team ahead only to have the defense blow it at the end. Or Deangelo Williams fumble. Or Ron just horribly mismanaging every aspect of the game. 

Yep

Early in his career there were numerous times we would have a drive to tie or go ahead just to watch a porous D give it away

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep

Early in his career there were numerous times we would have a drive to tie or go ahead just to watch a porous D give it away

Maybe if we're talking year three or four.

His first couple of years, I remember him coming out and giving jaw dropping performances in the first half then fading in the second.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

You can't coach player confidence.  You can give them a system, teach them the reads, drill those situations, etc.  But at the end of the day, you can't play for them.

As much as I like Teddy B the person, he doesn't have the IT a NFL QB needs.  Teddy is a perfectly serviceable QB who can win you some games.  But when you need the QB to make some plays, he's shown that he's too risk adverse.

Think about KC.  They are literally never out of it because we've seen for the past three season Patrick Mahomes do some bat-poo crazy things to score a boatload of points.  Or Brady?  Or even Brees?  What about Jake?  Or even Cam?  

You need a QB who you can get behind.  Not a QB who will keep you behind.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree  a d the article starts with 2018, not 2020

decisions coaches make during in game situations, end of half, end of game, sitting on leads, defensive alignments,  not making adjustments, play heavily on the outcomes

coaches also are part of personnel decisions  Rhule infuriates me because he had to know what Bridgewater was and if he didn’t, god help us.  I get Brady wanting his security blanket but the answer should have been ‘no’

rivera, knowing Cam was damaged, had zero backup qb plan   

it’s not like these things just happen  there was either willful ignorance or poor planing or poor decision making  in either case 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe if we're talking year three or four.

His first couple of years, I remember him coming out and giving jaw dropping performances in the first half then fading in the second.

To be completely fair to Cam, when we got a lead under Rivera, we had absolutely ZERO killer instinct.  We just shut it down and tried to kill the clock.  I don't think we can blame Cam entirely for some of that type behavior when it was fairly clear that it was cultivated by the coach.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

To be completely fair to Cam, when we got a lead under Rivera, we had absolutely ZERO killer instinct.  We just shut it down and tried to kill the clock.  I don't think we can blame Cam entirely for some of that type behavior when it was fairly clear that it was cultivated by the coach.

I get that, and it's not like Rivera and his staff were ever known for winning the second half adjustment game.

That said, I remember being concerned about his second half performances those first few years. He got past it though, so that was good.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I understand what you are saying but I disagree  a d the article starts with 2018, not 2020

decisions coaches make during in game situations, end of half, end of game, sitting on leads, defensive alignments,  not making adjustments, play heavily on the outcomes

coaches also are part of personnel decisions  Rhule infuriates me because he had to know what Bridgewater was and if he didn’t, god help us.  I get Brady wanting his security blanket but the answer should have been ‘no’

rivera, knowing Cam was damaged, had zero backup qb plan   

it’s not like these things just happen  there was either willful ignorance or poor planing or poor decision making  in either case 

I agree that there are a lot of things that go into a 4th quarter comeback.  But at the end of the day, the QB is the most important position on a football team.  It is up the the marriage of the coach, OC, and the QB to make these plays happen.  There is so much that goes into that final 4-2 minute offense when the game is on the line.

But the coach can't suit up.  It's up to the QB.  If they can't pull the trigger when needed to make the plays, then what can you do?  Like how many times at the end of games did Teddy throw a 2 yard route on a 8 yards to go?  

At the end of the day, as a fan and keyboard warrior, I feel like we need someone who has the moxie and the playmaking ability to get the ball where it needs to go.  If Brady was the cause of Teddy's issues, then fire him and find someone else who can do a better job.