• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All 32 starting QBs predicted (Matt Williamson)

CRA

Can someone humor me as to why Joe Burrow is the #1 pick and Mac Jones isn’t worth a day 2 pick? I get that he was throwing to Waddle and Smith. Burrow was throwing to Chase and had Edward-Helaire. 

They both have what looks like average athleticism. They both have good but not great arms. I remember the knock on Burrow was he couldn’t drive the ball downfield. 

So...if the draft falls in a certain way with a ton of QBs at the top and we get Parsons, Sewell, or maybe Chase/Smith in the first round then why would we not be happy with adding Jones in the second?

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, unicar15 said:

Can someone humor me as to why Joe Burrow is the #1 pick and Mac Jones isn’t worth a day 2 pick? I get that he was throwing to Waddle and Smith. Burrow was throwing to Chase and had Edward-Helaire. 

They both have what looks like average athleticism. They both have good but not great arms. I remember the knock on Burrow was he couldn’t drive the ball downfield. 

So...if the draft falls in a certain way with a ton of QBs at the top and we get Parsons, Sewell, or maybe Chase/Smith in the first round then why would we not be happy with adding Jones in the second?

Last year was perceived as a far weaker QB draft than this year. Reasonable chance Burrow is the 3rd or 4th guy in this draft(depends on upcoming workouts/evaluations). 

Remember we have had drafts where players like Mitch Trubisky went second overall. So, sometimes a much weaker QB will climb the board because the class is weak, the need for a QB is high and the benefit from hitting on a QB in the draft is so great.

I wouldn't be excited about Jones in the second. Any of the top 4 guys I would be excited about getting at 8. Jones or Trask I wouldn't be excited at all about. High intangible, very low ceiling players. I wouldn't even be very excited about a guy like Newman that has a far greater ceiling.

6 hours ago, unicar15 said:

This isn't about the stats, which were pretty close between the two.  Yes, both got to play on loaded offenses, but Burrow flashed a lot more tools than Jones over the course of the year.  More of Jones' throws weren't high difficulty throws and he didn't demonstrate the same level of mobility, pocket escapability, improvisation, and ability to throw on the run.  Burrow was super aggressive pushing the ball down the field, even when on the run, and any of his deep throws were into tight coverage.  He demonstrated insane ball placement on his throws.  His high completion percentage is much more impressive than Mac Jones because of those types of throws.

Mac Jones is a less athletic Andy Dalton who played with arguably the greatest offensive weapons in college football history with a stout o-line. 

People say that LSU offense was transcendent, well that's because Burrow could sling the rock. Jones basically played with an offense full of first rounders not to mention the Heisman winner at W fuging R of all positions. 

No to Mac Jones before the 4th round and at that point you're just drafting Will Grier. 

7 hours ago, unicar15 said:

A very valid question. The first thing I would think is athletic ability. I’ve seen Burrow escape tackles and make some incredible throws off the run under pressure. He had some great pocket awareness in college. Even in the pros with a terrible offensive line, he was playing solid until he got hurt. Jones doesn’t seem to have the speed or quickness to avoid sacks (he has never really had to). From the games I saw he was also throwing some quick passes to a wide open Smith and even his deep ones had Smith pretty open. Burrow’s throws were in tighter coverage with some insane ball placement.

Jones may turn out to be great. He may show some great pocket awareness and move around to avoid pressure. If we do draft him, CMC will be a great safety net if he is under pressure. Hopefully he can stay calm and still make his throws. He has just never had to worry about many of these things in college. I think Jones is just a lot more of an unknown than Burrow. The good news is our coach is getting an up close and personal look at him in the Senior Bowl. If he thinks he is the guy, I trust his opinion for now,

18 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Mac Jones is a less athletic Andy Dalton who played with arguably the greatest offensive weapons in college football history with a stout o-line. 

People say that LSU offense was transcendent, well that's because Burrow could sling the rock. Jones basically played with an offense full of first rounders not to mention the Heisman winner at W fuging R of all positions. 

No to Mac Jones before the 4th round and at that point you're just drafting Will Grier. 

He's been, by far, the best QB at the Senior Bowl. 

The guy has done everything he possibly could:

• backed himself and turned down a scholarship at Kentucky to go to Alabama
  • waited his turn to start - and obviously took on board ridiculously good coaching
  • ably stepped in for Tua when he went down with his hip injury in 2019
  • surpassed what Tua did in 2020 (holding off a 5 star QB in the process)
  • turned up to the Senior Bowl 2 weeks off winning the National Championship and balled in practices.

At the end of the day he's not going to wow you with his physical gifts, but 90% of what makes a good QB is between the ears. 

I get very, very strong Tom Brady vibes from him. Obviously he's never going to hit those heights, but much like Tom Brady when you look back at his pre-Patriots career you think "man, how did all the scouts miss THOSE traits?" (Brady succeeded in college whenever they let him play - they were in love with Drew Henson at Michigan), I wouldn't not be surprised if the same rings true for Jones. 

• Pie 1