• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers confirmed to be in Stafford discussion

Mr. Scot

Breer has mentioned Washington and Carolina as two teams he believes could be favorites to land Stafford more than once.

Funny to think of us in trade competition with a team that has Marty Hurney in a high position. Lord knows Marty might throw everything and the kitchen sink into an offer.

But worth noting that Marty's not in charge. Rivera is, with Martin Mayhew as second in command.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think if it happens it includes #8, Bridgewater and probably a little more.

Mind you, nothing along the lines of what we've been discussing for a Watson trade.

That is too much. I wouldn’t give our 8 for Stafford. If he was 5 years younger maybe. 
Most I would do is: Bridgewater, 2021: 2nd,3rd and 2022: 2nd,4th. I would not give any 1st pick for him. Since he may last only 5 years and we are right back where we started. 
My preferred course is stay pat. Trade up or hope a QB falls to us. 

7 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

That is too much. I wouldn’t give our 8 for Stafford. If he was 5 years younger maybe. 
Most I would do is: Bridgewater, 2021: 2nd,3rd and 2022: 2nd,4th. I would not give any 1st pick for him. Since he may last only 5 years and we are right back where we started. 
My preferred course is stay pat. Trade up or hope a QB falls to us. 

Not sure if that gets the deal done.

Thing about trading the number eight is that the Lions already have number seven. Packaging those two picks would give them a lot of ammo to trade up and get one of the top quarterbacks in this year's class.

Or hell, they could just say "We've got two top ten picks. Let's use them."

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not sure if that gets the deal done.

Thing about trading the number eight is that the Lions already have number seven. Packaging those two picks would give them a lot of ammo to trade up and get one of the top quarterbacks in this year's class.

Or hell, they could just say "We've got two top ten picks. Let's use them."

This is what I was thinking. Miami would be fine trading 3 for 7 and 8 because they can still get playmakers and a top tackle there.

3 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

This is what I was thinking. Miami would be fine trading 3 for 7 and 8 because they can still get playmakers and a top tackle there.

Yep. And in this case, of the teams that are said to be in on the discussion, we have the highest pick (that's not true with Watson).

I've been skeptical of us trading for Stafford, and I kinda still am.

But the more I read, the more I start to think it's a real possibility.

33 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I just don’t understand why? We already have a TB for a year for a rookie to sit behind. Is our FO that inept they can’t scout a good QB with a top 10 pick in a QB heavy draft?

I’d rather risk a rookie and long term success than maybe 5 years of a aging QB I don’t see going to a super bowl.

This

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think if it happens it includes #8, Bridgewater and probably a little more.

Mind you, nothing along the lines of what we've been discussing for a Watson trade.

If we could get a deal done for the 8th pick plus Teddy, I'd totally be on board. We'd save $13 million on our 2020 cap, eliminate the pressure to make a big play at qb in the draft and focus on building the rest of the team, and have all of our future draft picks. The chance we get a better qb than Stafford at 8 is what, 10% at most? Would you rather have Stafford and the rest of your draft to build a team, or forfeit multiple picks including a future 1st to move up for a qb that is still at best 50/50 to be an upgrade over Stafford? If I was sure Trey Lance would be available at 8, I'd probably sit tight and roll the dice on him, but if I have to choose between Stafford or Mac Jones, how many people would take Jones?

If our goal is immediate contention this is honestly the most likely avenue for it. Hope for a healthy Stafford that can master Brady's scheme, knock the rest of the 2020 draft out of the park, resign Moton and make a couple other free agent signings to round out the team with the $13 million you saved from trading Bridgewater and you've got a team that can make some noise. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Matt Had Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones as his wideouts in det 

i don’t see him coming here and lighting it up all of sudden just because we have Dj Moore and Robby Anderson . That’s a push . Those guys are just as good . Plus he 33 not every qb is gonna age like Brees Brady and Rodgers and even if he does he’s not even on their level . 

The Redskins are a QB and role players away from being a very good team. The NFC East would probably allow for a playoff run 

the Panthers will  need a brand new o line 

if I recall, Matt has taken a beating over his career. 

he would probably like to be somewhere with a chance at the playoffs and not getting beat to death   I don’t think that is Carolina 

I do not see this happening. Not sure why Stafford would want to go from the Lions to the Panthers. The past 3-4 years the Panthers really have not been much better. Seems like he would want to go to a team with a chance to win...Patriots, Colts, and etc. 
Also, Why would the Lions be stupid enough to take Teddy off our hands?