• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucs may have had a bounty like system

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Much ado about nothing IMO. Florio is really good at that.

He is, and it could be. I do think it's newsworthy but I'm not necessarily inclined to make much of it right now.

Course, some of us also said that when the Saints news first broke.

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not as nearly much as my colleagues in other states

I literally don't care what the number is, nor if you make it up. I will make up the number of $50,000 for the sake of this exercise.

I was just going to illustrate that if they had a thousand dollar wager on each game this season(19 total including the Super Bowl), that is $19,000 over the course of this past season. Devin White made $1,827,537 in salary in 2020(not including the bonus he was paid in 2019). If he lost every week, that would be roughly 1% of his income. LeVonte David made $10,750,000 in salary in 2020. If he lost every week that would roughly be 0.17% of his income.

For perspective, 1% of $50,000 is $500. Divided over 19 weeks, this would equal $26.32 per week in wagering. 0.17% of $50,000 is $85. Divided over 19 weeks, this would equal $4.47 per week in wagering.

So.....how is this an example of them going broke???

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I literally don't care what the number is, nor if you make it up. I will make up the number of $50,000 for the sake of this exercise.

I was just going to illustrate that if they had a thousand dollar wager on each game this season(19 total including the Super Bowl), that is $19,000 over the course of this past season. Devin White made $1,827,537 in salary in 2020(not including the bonus he was paid in 2019). If he lost every week, that would be roughly 1% of his income. LeVonte David made $10,750,000 in salary in 2020. If he lost every week that would roughly be 0.17% of his income.

For perspective, 1% of $50,000 is $500. Divided over 19 weeks, this would equal $26.32 per week in wagering. 0.17% of $50,000 is $85. Divided over 19 weeks, this would equal $4.47 per week in wagering.

There is a place I go and do work for in South Carolina.  It's a manufacturing plant.  A guy there has been running a NFL pool there for at least as long as I have been going there.  So 12 years.  Maybe longer.  The stakes have always remained the same.  $20 to get in and the winner gets the whole pot.  It only runs during the regular season, so 17 weeks and these guys don't make $50,000 a year.  I won't say much less, but less.  The pool has had anywhere from 30 to 50 people in it at one time or another and the winner takes the whole pot each week.  

The point is, it's not just NFL players that do this kind of stuff every week it's all kind of people and none of them are going broke from it. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, bababoey said:

There is a place I go and do work for in South Carolina.  It's a manufacturing plant.  A guy there has been running a NFL pool there for at least as long as I have been going there.  So 12 years.  Maybe longer.  The stakes have always remained the same.  $20 to get in and the winner gets the whole pot.  It only runs during the regular season, so 17 weeks and these guys don't make $50,000 a year.  I won't say much less, but less.  The pool has had anywhere from 30 to 50 people in it at one time or another and the winner takes the whole pot each week.  

The point is, it's not just NFL players that do this kind of stuff every week it's all kind of people and none of them are going broke from it. 

That is just an example of someone seeing $1000 a week and valuing it in "regular people money" not "getting paid millions" money. 

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It doesn’t matter what the percentage of their pre-tax paycheck is. It’s about the lack of financial literacy and lack of planning for many athletes. I didn’t necessarily imply the two jabronis from Tampa, but athletes as a whole.