• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Ryan and Jones coming back so that take a qb off the list

Panthers316

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Picks #2-4 are all sending vibes of not picking QBs. 

Which means if these QBs are as good as half the Huddle think they are, picks #2-4 will be shopping those selections to teams that want a QB. Potentially from teams in the mid-late first round range.

Good lord guys, Atlanta is not picking a QB at 4.  Ryan completed 65% of his passes for over 4500 yards with 26 TDs and 11 Ints.  He played all 16 games.  They have many needs and have a chance to get a stud, why pick a QB to sit on the bench and potentially be a bust?  Makes no sense.

Further, all these rising teams looking for a QB to make a run such as SF, Indy, Washington, will not move up to 3 or 4 because it would be extremely expensive and what they really need is a vet, not some kid QB that has to learn the ropes.

I think Denver will jump us to go get Wilson and Detroit may have interest in Lance, but I suspect Fields will be sitting there at 8.

8 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Good lord guys, Atlanta is not picking a QB at 4.  Ryan completed 65% of his passes for over 4500 yards with 26 TDs and 11 Ints.  He played all 16 games.  They have many needs and have a chance to get a stud, why pick a QB to sit on the bench and potentially be a bust?  Makes no sense.

Further, all these rising teams looking for a QB to make a run such as SF, Indy, Washington, will not move up to 3 or 4 because it would be extremely expensive and what they really need is a vet, not some kid QB that has to learn the ropes.

I think Denver will jump us to go get Wilson and Detroit may have interest in Lance, but I suspect Fields will be sitting there at 8.

It actually does make some sense but you have to think beyond the scope of just Matt Ryan. How long do GMs and coaches have to turn around their team? 3 maybe 4 years. That could realistically leave the Falcons starting year 3 needing to draft a QB to start because they has to dump Ryan's contract. And next year's class is not looking particularly strong. 

No other position is as important as QB and having a top 4 pick is an opportunity you dont have often. So if you think your future QB is there you take him, sit him for 2 years, dump Ryan and his contract and have a guy with 2 years of NFL camp and experience ready to go year 3 with 3 years of rookie contract remaining. 

If you're thinking about your future as a coach or GM, you better be considering Ryan is 36 and you may have to start over 3 years into your stint. Question is will you make it to year 4? 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It actually does make some sense but you have to think beyond the scope of just Matt Ryan. How long do GMs and coaches have to turn around their team? 3 maybe 4 years. That could realistically leave the Falcons starting year 3 needing to draft a QB to start because they has to dump Ryan's contract. And next year's class is not looking particularly strong. 

No other position is as important as QB and having a top 4 pick is an opportunity you dont have often. So if you think your future QB is there you take him, sit him for 2 years, dump Ryan and his contract and have a guy with 2 years of NFL camp and experience ready to go year 3 with 3 years of rookie contract remaining. 

If you're thinking about your future as a coach or GM, you better be considering Ryan is 36 and you may have to start over 3 years into your stint. Question is will you make it to year 4? 

It doesnt make sense dude, we have explained it to you, it doesnt make sense

20 hours ago, AU-panther said:

If they want a QB why would they say they want a QB?  Just increases the chance someone will trade in front of them to grab the QB. 

I’m not convinced they will draft a QB but I’m not going to put much stock in a quote in February.  

Fans on here will cling to anything that gives them hope that this will mean they get a QB.  Everything said this time of year by the teams is just stuff to make other teams think they won't.  

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I understand your point but respectively disagree.

I do not like Matt Ryan at all.  But the guy plays 16 games every year and puts up sick numbers.  I believe he's missed 1 game in the last 10 years.  Barring a serious injury, he could easily play into his 40s.

To expend that much draft capital (not to mention salary of 8 mil per year) on a Fields or Wilson that will likely rot for 3+ years and still potentially bust instead of a true difference-maker that could help your team win now makes no sense.  

4 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I understand your point but respectively disagree.

I do not like Matt Ryan at all.  But the guy plays 16 games every year and puts up sick numbers.  I believe he's missed 1 game in the last 10 years.  Barring a serious injury, he could easily play into his 40s.

To expend that much draft capital (not to mention salary of 8 mil per year) on a Fields or Wilson that will likely rot for 3+ years and still potentially bust instead of a true difference-maker that could help your team win now makes no sense.  

I don’t disagree Ryan may play into his 40s. Question is would they rather pay a 39 year old Ryan 30m or Wilson 8m. At some point you have to ask yourself, when does that salary offset performance. Can you add 2 or 3 defensive players that will collectively add more than a drop of to 3500 yards and 22 TDS by a first time starter. I don’t see Ryan in Atlanta after 2 years. Ryan may be playing, but I don’t see it there. 

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

It doesnt make sense dude, we have explained it to you, it doesnt make sense

Just because it doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t mean there isn’t logic behind it. Playing the long game always makes sense, you just have to weigh value across many different levels to make those decisions. Hurney could never play the long game and we see how that ended up. He got fired from the same job twice because he could never look longer than the current season. 

If I’m GM, I’m absolutely considering setting the franchise up for the future. Other than Aaron Donald, I can’t think of a defensive player who is as impactful on the field as a QB. Unless I think there is a player of that caliber in this draft, and I don’t, I’m not closing off any options. The NFL is making it much harder for defenses and this becoming more and more offense driven league. Half the league is looking for a QB in the next 2 years. There aren’t going to be that many available in the draft. If you think the most important position of your franchise for the next 10 years might be there at your pick, you better consider it. 

im not saying they will take a QB. I’m not saying they won’t. But you better believe they are considering it. 

• Pie 1