• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McShay Mock.

trueblue

mia.png&h=110&w=110car.png&h=110&w=110

Trade: Carolina moves up the board

OK, my guy Mel Kiper Jr. waived the no-trade clause on our mocks, so let's have at it. The Panthers give the Dolphins a call in this scenario, seeing a chance to jump the line to get a quarterback at No. 3. Miami originally acquired this pick via an August 2019 trade with the Texans, but now hand over the selection to Carolina in exchange for the No. 8 pick, the Panthers' second-rounder (No. 39) and a 2022 first-rounder. It'd be a great haul for the Dolphins, who just barely missed the playoffs this season and can now build even further around QB Tua Tagovailoa. But it's also a good price for the Panthers, who need their QB of the future

HARD NO. trading up to 3 will cost a ton. Trading up to 3 for a complete unknown is sub optimal. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30862243

I'm confused by the outrage. 

If there is a QB at 8, we take him.

If we don't think there will be a QB at 8, we move up for a QB.

• We give up a FRP next year and this year's 2nd in order to secure a franchise QB on a rookie deal for the next 5 years.

Gotta give to get, and if we already planned on taking a QB at 8, we are giving up two assets to get the most important position secured. I hate giving up either pick, but if it solves our QB situation, why not?

Watson guts us of assets and will waste at least two years here with a supporting cast before we can add good pieces around him. 

Didn't realize I didn't paste the key part.. 

3. Carolina Panthers (via mock trade with MIA through HOU)

Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

Eight of the Panthers' 11 losses were one-score games, running back Christian McCaffrey missed most of the season and the defense was an improved unit this year. But Carolina needs a QB it can build around. Teddy Bridgewater is under contract for two more years -- with a potential out after the 2021 campaign -- and can serve as a bridge, but his 15-to-11 TD-INT ratio in 2020 left a lot to be desired.

The quarterback-to-Carolina rhetoric isn't new, but some might be surprised to see Lance as the pick rather than Ohio State's Justin Fields. Both possess strong arms, both are highly competitive, both are sturdy in the pocket and can pick up chunks when they decide to tuck it and run, and both can hit the deep ball. But in going back to the tape, I think Lance goes through his progressions a little quicker than Fields, who gets stuck on his primary read too often. It's tight, but I think Lance has an edge.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

We give up a FRP next year and this year's 2nd in order to secure a franchise QB on a rookie deal for the next 5 years.

The only true franchise QB in this draft is Lawrence.  Lance may have the tools to be a franchise QB but no way is this a guarantee.  

I think he'll last to 8 anyhow and would take the gamble that he falls that far.  Miami isn't taking a QB and if they do I'd rather trade #8 and 2nd round pick for the 18th pick and Tua. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The only true franchise QB in this draft is Lawrence.  Lance may have the tools to be a franchise QB but no way is this a guarantee.  

I think he'll last to 8 anyhow and would take the gamble that he falls that far.  Miami isn't taking a QB and if they do I'd rather trade #8 and 2nd round pick for the 18th pick and Tua. 

Agree that Lawrence is more of a lock, but I do think a QB selection at 3 would give us one as well. 

If we sit pat at 8 and use hope as our strategy, we are doomed. If we were at 5, I'd feel better, but at 8, too much risk. 

Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, Denver, SF, NE, Washington, Pittsburgh, Indy, Chicago and maybe even Vegas all have needs for a young QB. 

If we stay at 8 and all of the big 4 QBs are taken and DW is traded elsewhere, we are fugged. Our next options are Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, Jamie Newmann (who I really do like), Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, David Carr, Marcus Mariota or Jimmy G. 

Yes, we could get a top OL/CB/LB at 8, but nothing we've done this offseason makes me think we will sit and wait at 8.

We've unfortunately shown our hand to all 31 teams and Teddy. Time to pony up and finish what we started....just have to hope Fitterer is better at negotiating than Hurney.