• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If a QB isn’t there at 8... Slater is your pick

TheBigKat

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I wasn't overly impressed with Leatherwood in the CFP. I think he's a good OT prospect, but I honestly think his late 1st to early 2nd draft grades from a month or so more accurately reflected where he should be drafted.

From what I've read, he looked kinda rough in the Senior Bowl practices too.

• Pie 1

Yeah Leatherwood's stock dipped a bit.  I'm just not buying it.  I like Darrisaw in the area of a trade down too.  Sorry another thing I'm not buying into is this year's crop of "undersized" tackles Slater, Vera-Tucker and Dillon Radunz.  What do all have in common elite movement, agility and technique.   In just old fashioned though give me alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee over ND st, Northwestern or USC to develop offensive lineman.  

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wasn't overly impressed with Leatherwood in the CFP. I think he's a good OT prospect, but I honestly think his late 1st to early 2nd draft grades from a month or so more accurately reflected where he should be drafted.

Not impressed? 52 pts and 623 yards of offense against the Buckeyes and Mac Jones jersey looked like he just picked it up from the dry cleaner at the end of that massacre.  Najee Harris was running through freeways not lanes.  Lastly the team chose him to hoist the trophy first.  

Guy could have came out after 2019 as a high pick but instead finished what he started.  Giving up two sacks and three pressures for the year.  That Alabama offense tore through the league.  500 yards per game.  Compare that to some of the guys opting out this past year or only playing condensed seasons or "showcase" games and..  

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Wanna hurl?

For 6 day two picks in Marty’s last two drafts where he had autonomy, we got Donte, Gaulden, Little, and Grier.

Donte has at least contributed. Mark Andrews was taken with the next pick after Gaulden and the next three OL taken were all 2020 starters at T and G. There were several stud interior OL taken right after Little or could have gotten two for the price of one. Maxx Crosby, who we had in for one of our private visits, was taken after Grier.

Our talent level would be so much better right now if we stuck to the strengths of the draft and not reached for less talented players who were bottom of the barrel at the combine.

Hindsight is 20/20. 

Drafts don't work in Hindsight

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Wanna hurl?

For 6 day two picks in Marty’s last two drafts where he had autonomy, we got Donte, Gaulden, Little, and Grier.

Donte has at least contributed. Mark Andrews was taken with the next pick after Gaulden and the next three OL taken were all 2020 starters at T and G. There were several stud interior OL taken right after Little or could have gotten two for the price of one. Maxx Crosby, who we had in for one of our private visits, was taken after Grier.

Our talent level would be so much better right now if we stuck to the strengths of the draft and not reached for less talented players who were bottom of the barrel at the combine.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but if we had just drafted some of the names that the huddle was kicking around in those drafts, we would be in such good shape. Ronnie Harrison, Orlando Brown, Mark Andrews, etc etc those were three that I wanted. Those were also three guys that a lot of people had going in the first or second round. They dropped to round three and we got fuging complete trash in Gaulden.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's no two ways to slice it, we're in a bad spot right now. We're probably on the outside looking in on the QB run at #8 while also needing to rebuild the OL. Trading to get our QB greatly impacts our ability to rebuild the OL. Using our capital to rebuild the OL basically means forgoing a QB or taking a shot in the dark at a 2nd or 3rd tier QB, be it a draft pick or a vet. We already went that vet route last year.

In the ideal world, Fields or Lance is available at #8. I'm just less and less convinced of that with each passing day with this current QB carousel going on. We have a gigantic target on our backs from teams behind us too because if one of those guys is available at #7 the Lions' phone is gonna be ringing off the hook with everyone and their brother knowing we are desperate for a QB.

After Lawrence they're all second tier "shot in the the dark" QBs.

35 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Wanna hurl?

Thanks a lot, Bugs 😒

1 hour ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

It's going to be a little chicken or egg scenario this year, where do we draft our QB and let him possibly get killed behind our OL, or do we build the OL and put the QB question off again

You already know the answer.  Say it with me, 'Build the offensive line.'  Here's another phrase to embrace; say it with me now, 'If we build it, he (quality future FA QB) will come."

My work here is now complete...

Edited by bythenbrs

Hard yikes

Real hard Yikes.

1. He is shorter than listed.  He is closer to 6'4

2. 99.9999% of every scout out there had a mid 2nd rd grade on him coming Off last year.  Then he shoots up to a High 1st, without even playing a snap this year?  

Im not touching him until the late 1st early 2nd at the earliest.

Edited by ncfan
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Not impressed? 52 pts and 623 yards of offense against the Buckeyes and Mac Jones jersey looked like he just picked it up from the dry cleaner at the end of that massacre.  Najee Harris was running through freeways not lanes.  Lastly the team chose him to hoist the trophy first.  

Guy could have came out after 2019 as a high pick but instead finished what he started.  Giving up two sacks and three pressures for the year.  That Alabama offense tore through the league.  500 yards per game.  Compare that to some of the guys opting out this past year or only playing condensed seasons or "showcase" games and..  

Watch the individual player, not the results of the plays/game.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Last home run we hit with an OT in the first round was at #8 overall, Jordan Gross, so I'd be happy with Slater at 8. Plug him in at RT, move Moton to LT and ride the bookend tackles for the next decade.

That being said, best case scenario for us would be to get one of Watson, Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Darnold without giving up our 2nd round pick this year. Drafting an OT in R2 should present great value and would give Moton a partner to tangle with at OT.

Either way, we need an OT with one of our first two draft picks AND re-sign Moton.