• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Power Shift

NAS

With an increasing number of players forcing their way out of teams or demanding more input in personnel decisions, a real power shift seems to be happening that echoes what happened in NBA.  

I personally don't see it as a bad thing. 

Most NFL GMs are incompetent and get too much credit for the work they do to manage personnel.  Franchise QBs like Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson should have more input into head coaching and personnel hires because they've staked their long term future with the team.  I think it will lead to more exciting trades and potentially faster rebuilds.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I'm a little torn. I support a player asking for help and even demanding it but 'personal control' is out of thr question for me. If the team is that bad at personal management just go somewhere else. 

I also don't have a problem with the new and current balance where each side has some actions they can take in thr process. Franchise tag can work but it can also blow up in a team's face if they are stupid about the situation. I also like players having a trade clause or ability to sit to counter the teams ability to break a contract at any time. 

For me it is all about balance.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'm a little torn. I support a player asking for help and even demanding it but 'personal control' is out of thr question for me. If the team is that bad at personal management just go somewhere else. 

I also don't have a problem with the new and current balance where each side has some actions they can take in thr process. Franchise tag can work but it can also blow up in a team's face if they are stupid about the situation. I also like players having a trade clause or ability to sit to counter the teams ability to break a contract at any time. 

For me it is all about balance.

Fair point, but I feel like the balance has been skewed against the players for so long it may take a bit of a pendulum swing the other way to eventually achieve the happy medium.

• Beer 1

The players are being silly.  They already hold ALL of the power with the exception of one player on every team - whomever gets the franchise tag.

No one is forcing a player to sign for any team.  If they don't like the way the team is run, fine, don't sign.  Go into free agency, bet on yourself.

Look, I get it, rookies don't have much say, and that's fine.  Most rookies don't really pan out anyway.  Once that first contract is done, anything from that point forward is on their shoulders.

Don't like the team?  Don't sign.  Not really sure?  Take a shorter contract with less guaranteed money.

The players for too long have simply tried to maximize their money.  You can't have it both ways!  If you want flexibility and mobility, fine, work that into your contract.  Do you want a guaranteed payday?  Also fine.  Just understand that it limits those other things.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, NAS said:

With an increasing number of players forcing their way out of teams or demanding more input in personnel decisions, a real power shift seems to be happening that echoes what happened in NBA.  

I personally don't see it as a bad thing. 

Most NFL GMs are incompetent and get too much credit for the work they do to manage personnel.  Franchise QBs like Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson should have more input into head coaching and personnel hires because they've staked their long term future with the team.  I think it will lead to more exciting trades and potentially faster rebuilds.

You *thought* Watson staked his long term future with the team. As the current situation shows, it seems they can leave whenever things aren’t going how they’d like. 

41 minutes ago, NAS said:

Franchise QBs like Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson should have more input into head coaching and personnel hires because they've staked their long term future with the team.  I think it will lead to more exciting trades and potentially faster rebuilds.

So have the defensive guys, and even the special teamers, but we're only going to let the quarterbacks have input?

Wilson now says he wants a say in the roster. No way in hell I'd let him have that. He's not a coach. He's not a talent evaluator. There are people who are qualified to do that. He's not one of them.

As far as a "power shift", that's still largely theoretical at this point. And no, I'm not in favor of it because what inevitably winds up happening in a situation like that is that teams and places like New York and Los Angeles benefit while small market teams like the Panthers get shafted.

Pete Rozelle was a very smart man. He built a system designed to create parity for a reason.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wilson now says he wants a say in the roster. No way in hell I'd let him have that. He's not a coach. He's not a talent evaluator. There are people who are qualified to do that. He's not one of them.

Could not agree more. The minute we allow players this kind of nonsense is the minute I stop watching the NFL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

54 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

I don’t recall many folks having an issue when Eli’s daddy dictated which teams he would and would not play for. 

Actually, a lot of people felt that was kind of douchey (because it was).

Same thing with Elway.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, a lot of people felt that was kind of douchey (because it was).

Same thing with Elway.

Yep, it was douchey but I don't blame them. There's not many instances in a player's career where they're in a position to have significant input in where they end up. Entering the draft as the assumed #1 overall pick is one of those instances.

• Beer 1