• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Predicts Watson to be the Panthers starter in 2021

Big Sexy

18 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Exactly.  Gentlemanly negotiations done in private and respectfully don't generate "a single article".  JJ's video is a clear window into how it went down, you're blind.

Going MIA, demanding a trade, refusing to return phone calls & emails, threatening to sit out, posting cryptic twitter blips, etc...

...this is the sort of selfish, low-road/low-rent aberrant behavior which generates a media firestorm of speculation --- the vast majority of it with no basis in fact!!

Texans made the guy the 2nd highest paid QB in the entire NFL and this is how he thanks them...

...clearly someone is giving a good kid some very bad advice.

tenor.gif?itemid=15917204

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If they decide to let Watson go, they're trading away a franchise quarterback.

What makes you think they just accept an average defensive player in return?

Because they would also get 3 1st round picks, a bridge QB, and possibly the best RB in the game? YGM has potential, Jackson is a solid young CB, Shaq would instantly be one of their better players on defense.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Because they would also get 3 1st round picks, a bridge QB, and possibly the best RB in the game? YGM has potential, Jackson is a solid young CB, Shaq would instantly be one of their better players on defense.

It's not what you would be willing to give, its what they are willing to take.

If I'm the Jets I'm asking for Burns.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If they decide to let Watson go, they're trading away a franchise quarterback.

What makes you think they just accept an average defensive player in return?

In no particular order it seems the top-5 QB's in the NFL are:

Watson (age 25), Mahomes (25), Wilson (32), Rodgers (37), Brady (43).

Watson is actually 3 days younger than Mahomes and they are the 2 highest paid players in the NFL -- Mahomes has already defined himself as a generational talent, Watson has the potential to do so.

Viewed through a 10-year lens the only two known QB's with a chance to perform at a level equal to Watson & Mahomes are Wilson & T-Law...and that assumes Russ plays into his 40's and T-Law develops accordingly, both huge question marks...

...the odds of the Texans EVER getting another QB of Watson's calibre are almost nil --- why the f*** would they ever agree to trade him?

Put another way, if Watson takes it to the limit and decides to quit the game the Texans are in the same place as if they traded him -- nowhere.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Put another way, if Watson takes it to the limit and decides to quit the game the Texans are in the same place as if they traded him -- nowhere.

They may or may not ever draft someone as good as Watson but they have a good chance of building a better team by trading him for 3 first rounders and a star, than if he just effectively retires. If those are the 2 options they are far more likely to get another great QB with 3 first rounders than with nothing at all.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

They may or may not ever draft someone as good as Watson but they have a good chance of building a better team by trading him for 3 first rounders and a star, than if he just effectively retires. If those are the 2 options they are far more likely to get another great QB with 3 first rounders than with nothing at all.

He won't retire.

That said...if one were to do some decision-tree analysis and assign probabilities to 3 possible outcomes...

1.  Call his bluff and he retires.

2.  Call his bluff and he comes back to collect $146,540,000.

3.  Trade him for who knows what.

...the clear outcome of choice would be #2.

I fully expect the Texans to choose door #2.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

5 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

He won't retire.

That said...if one were to do some decision-tree analysis and assign probabilities to 3 possible outcomes...

1.  Call his bluff and he retires.

2.  Call his bluff and he comes back to collect $146,540,000.

3.  Trade him for who knows what.

...the clear outcome of choice would be #2.

I fully expect the Texans to choose door #2.

Lol. I love how this is entirely framed as if the Texans have all the "choice" in this matter.

You are a weird dude.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

In no particular order it seems the top-5 QB's in the NFL are:

Watson (age 25), Mahomes (25), Wilson (32), Rodgers (37), Brady (43).

Watson is actually 3 days younger than Mahomes and they are the 2 highest paid players in the NFL -- Mahomes has already defined himself as a generational talent, Watson has the potential to do so.

Viewed through a 10-year lens the only two known QB's with a chance to perform at a level equal to Watson & Mahomes are Wilson & T-Law...and that assumes Russ plays into his 40's and T-Law develops accordingly, both huge question marks...

...the odds of the Texans EVER getting another QB of Watson's calibre are almost nil --- why the f*** would they ever agree to trade him?

I disagree. If your  leader of the team doesn’t want to be there, it can’t bode well for the team’s morale. I can see him sitting out a few games to the whole year (yeah it’s that bad, especially after they let Watt go). Say they trade with us and get 3 firsts, Teddy, CMC, and a player on defense. They can draft a Trey Lance at 8 and let him sit behind Teddy until he is ready. (CMC and Lance can be a great future/foundation for your offense) You immediately get a band aid and potential at the QB position, plus one if the greatest playmakers in the league, plus a good starter on defense, oh and you still have two first round picks for the next two years. You can trade up and get your guy if Lance isn’t it and if he is you can build a great young core for the next two years. Holding Watson hostage hurts the team and makes Houston and even less desirable destination for free agents. Trade the man, collect your bounty of players and draft picks and start helping out the community with some much needed PR. I mean Texas definitely needs help right now...

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Hate to tell ya, but the Texans aren't going to evaluate our players like Panther fans would.

They're also not likely to be the most reasonable negotiators.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Sheldonyoung said:

Obviously 3 first rounders are in the picture 

Again, the Texans aren't going to look at an offer like this and say "Wow, they're giving us a great deal. We should hand them our franchise quarterback and be thankful."

When it comes to trade negotiations, the average NFL team is about as reasonable as a no loan shark discussing interest rates.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Mr Scot.. You're being a serious wet blanket about all this

I'm being a realist.

I get that this is something a lot of people want. And I'd be pretty happy with it too.

I'd also be happy if we could trade a second rounder for Aaron Donald, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it.

Put it another way, do you think if I was all sunshine and rainbows about our chances it would change the reality of the situation?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I'm being a realist.

I get that this is something a lot of people want. And I'd be pretty happy with it too.

I'd also be happy if we could trade a second rounder for Aaron Donald, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it.

Put it another way, do you think if I was all sunshine and rainbows about our chances it would change the reality of it?

People are fine if you are trying to be a “realist” what puts you in wet blanket territory is you try to DOMINATE the Watson threads with the sheer volume of posts. If this was in real life you’d be the person shouting over everyone trying to speak.

• Flames 1