• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brown, Burns & Chinn

saX man

Five things you can say about Watson...

Getting him would be great.

Getting him would also be extremely difficult.

Other teams are in position to make better offers than we can.

Thus, the compensation needed to get him would be painful.

And in the end, it is genuinely possible that the Texans never agree to trade him.

Oy 😕

I have no idea how this turns out. I'd certainly be happy to have him but I don't know how likely that is and the thought of what we have to give up in the process is concerning.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We haven't had anybody as good as Jeremy Chinn in our secondary in a long time, and he's just getting started.

Giving him up would be super painful.

Take Chinn out of the secondary and we don't have a secondary. If we had kept Bradberry moving Chinn would be a lot more palatable but still downright stupid in reality.

The whole Watson fetish at this point is just stupid. We just simply don't have the team at this point and I'd really hate to go through the whole Cam is carrying the entire team thing again with Watson, which will happen if we trade for him at the price that's being thrown around. He'll be a lot cheaper(trade price wise) next year any who.

Not to mention why would he want to go from one rebuild to another. We know he wants a plug and play on a championship worthy team. For instance; You know the Saints would salivate over him this season if they could. He's only 15 million and they like to worry about next year, next year. The Texas just want as much draft/young capital as possible. I can see the saints throwing them half a dozen players(Kwon and Lattimore included) and the picks to make their salary cap work this year. More than I can see us doing anything that wouldn't be detrimental.

Edit: Ok, I just looked at Houston's cap space and I take that last part back. They don't have the cap space to take on high priced players(CMC,Shaq or the above players in that scenario) without seriously moving their bloated contracts. Oof they are cap fugged and Watson isn't the problem... This Year.

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

Just now, The Lobo said:

Out of the three, Chinn. To me, Burns and Brown and more important, elite DL makes up for secondary decencies. 

If Ron Rivera were still the coach I might agree. Rivera definitely valued pass rush over coverage.

Under Matt Rhule and Phil Snow though, I'm not so sure.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If Ron Rivera were still the coach I might agree. Rivera definitely valued pass rush over coverage.

True. Snow isn't much of a 4+ man rusher and showed he's not changing from his college scheme last season. Maybe its "because of personnel" but I don't see it. I think he's just a college ceiling coach. Thus secondary is much more valuable in his mind.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

True, but regardless of how they feel, getting to the QB in no time flat will make any secondary great. 

Edited by The Lobo

24 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Brown did a TON that we just did not see on TV.  He is a beast and will dominate next season.  I would not want to be an OL vs him.

And this should be the year Burns becomes elite--especially if he gets some interior pressure. 

It is hard to say who I'd want to lose if we had to trade one.

Yea man, annoys me when people tried to claim he “didn’t live up to his draft position”. He more than exceeded it, just what he does isn’t as obvious for the casual fan to see. Even without being second for rookie QB pressures he would have at least met expectations. Being only second to the guy that undeservedly won droy in QB pressures for a non-UT DT is icing on the cake and far exceeds expectations. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

True, but regardless of how they feel, getting to the QB in no time flat will make any secondary great. 

Theoretically sure. In practice, it didn't work out so well for us.

The problem with that rationale was that Rivera all too often trusted the coverage to subpar players. The results definitely didn't back him up, especially against quarterbacks that were quick decision makers (Brees generally ate us alive).

So much of the NFL employs a quick passing attack these days that going that route can be a risk.