• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC and Shaq restructured

NAS

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm not going to be critical until I see the end results here. No one knows the chess moves or the overall strategy that's actually taking place. 

This.

Now ain’t the time to get frustrated over either of these restructures. 

At the surface level I’m not a fan of the moves BUT these may have been needed for what is to come...

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Didn't like signing Shaq to begin with.  Hated signing CMC a year early.

Now we make the contracts worse...at two of the least valuable positions is all of football.

Almost feels like Marty's back.

CMCs deal was an extension, not a new deal.  So in theory we didn’t sign him early.  We added years to his rookie deal

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

You negative Nancy’s still have Hurney syndrome.  Gurneys restructures were always bad for the team.  Give Fitt a chance and wait for the details to come out

Speaking for our most virulent opponents of restructuring... It's not that people see Marty's restructures as bad so much as they see all restructures as bad because they add to future cap and it can get out of hand if you're not careful.

I'm not a big fan of it myself, but I get that it's a necessary evil sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking for our most virulent opponents of restructuring... It's not that people see Marty's restructures as bad so much as they see all restructures as bad because they add to future cap and it can get out of hand if you're not careful.

I'm not a big fan of it myself, but I get that it's a necessary evil sometimes.

Yeah and I understand that.  What made Hurney so bad was WHO he restructured.  It was often players who were cut candidates at the time or would have been a year or two later (KK Short).  Spreading out guaranteed money for a player like CMC isn’t really a huge deal.  

Doing some sleuthing around, OTC shows Shaq's base salary this season as $10.18M. Sportrac is showing his base salary this season as $990k with a $1.83M restructure bonus over the remaining three years of the contract plus two dummy years on the back end. Assuming this is correct, Shaq's restructure will free up $9.19M this season at the expense of pushing $9.19M down the road. AKA - classic Hurney restructure.

Moving on... looks like we just covered Moton's franchise tag. These restructures will clear up roughly $14.5M in cap space and Moton's tag will hit us somewhere between $13.5M and $14M.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Doing some sleuthing around, OTC shows Shaq's base salary this season as $10.18M. Sportrac is showing his base salary this season as $990k with a $1.83M restructure bonus over the remaining three years of the contract plus two dummy years on the back end. Assuming this is correct, Shaq's restructure will free up $9.19M this season at the expense of pushing $9.19M down the road. AKA - classic Hurney restructure.

Moving on... looks like we just covered Moton's franchise tag. These restructures will clear up roughly $14.5M in cap space and Moton's tag will hit us somewhere between $13.5M and $14M.

your boy DNewton says we saved $6.1 million this year