• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quick Hits from Fitterer's Press Conference

hepcat

15 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

Did nobody ask him anything about Watson, that would seem weird with all the reports coming out that we are definitely interested 

No point in asking.  A coach or GM is not allowed to talk about another player on another team.  The most you could ask is if the team is looking to acquire a new QB.

• Beer 1

50 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah I don’t think that had to do with Watson though imo.

Agreed that the response was not in a direct reference to Watson, however; if "we're not one player away" is the sentiment of the team, I would argue it's applicable to how the team may view spending the kind of resources it will take to acquire Watson. 

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

No point in asking.  A coach or GM is not allowed to talk about another player on another team.  The most you could ask is if the team is looking to acquire a new QB.

This is as close as Rhule got to addressing Watson, a complete non-answer. If Rhule or Fitterer had said anything remotely suggestive of progress on the Watson front, there'd be seven threads on it already.

Joe Person: Will you look into these other quarterbacks who may be available via trade?

Rhule: At every position, we'll always look at every opportunity. One of the things Scott [Fitterer] said when we interviewed was we want to be in on every deal. I think one of the advantages to that is a, we're always getting information and b, you know, other teams look at us and they can't say they know what we're going to do because we're always looking at everything. If someone hits the market, we're always going to talk to them. We'll look at everything this year. Just take it day by day.

1 hour ago, Panther'sBigD said:

LOL, you guys will tell yourselves anything to maintain the idea that the Panthers are actually going to compete for Watson. It's not going to happen. 

You probably said (or thought) the same thing about Stafford. 

I wouldn't bet that we're going to land Watson, but I will bet that we're going to put in a trade offer. We "competed" for Stafford and almost got him. We'll do the same for Watson if he ever hits the market.

24 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You probably said (or thought) the same thing about Stafford. 

I wouldn't bet that we're going to land Watson, but I will bet that we're going to put in a trade offer. We "competed" for Stafford and almost got him. We'll do the same for Watson if he ever hits the market.

It was more a comment on I think trueblade's assertion that the "we aren't one player away" comment could be taken to mean that since we're not one player away, they're fine with going ahead and nuking the team by trading away 8-10 players for one guy. I think that's ridiculous. 

I was on board for Stafford. What they were asking for Stafford was fairly reasonable. Didn't it only require about three picks and Goff? That's nothing like the 'multi-year 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, plus starters' asking price projected for Watson. 

I think they should absolutely be involved in every deal, but it's ridiculous fan-level delusion to think we should trade away the next few years for one guy, when it will put the Panthers in exactly the kind of situation Watson is currently trying to escape. 

49 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Scott is cheap, decent depth and I still have hope that Daley makes a good LG. Little is bad. No way in hell we roll into the season with these 3.

Scott is a guy worth keeping for depth. Daley will likely just never be able to stay healthy and Little is just terrible. 

I don't think Little will last long after he is gone from here. Maybe a PS spot or two.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Scott is a guy worth keeping for depth. Daley will likely just never be able to stay healthy and Little is just terrible. 

I don't think Little will last long after he is gone from here. Maybe a PS spot or two.

Scott actually wound up looking a lot better than I thought he would.

Still wouldn't want him as a long-term starter though.

• Pie 1

To be clear, it's not like Rhule was asked a real question about Watson.

David Newton clumsily worded a question to shoehorn in a mention of Watson as part of what he was asking. Rhule didn't bite on it.

That was followed later on by the lady reporter taking a funny dig at Newton.