• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Signings Thread

Ricky Spanish

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well the train hasn't derailed yet.  I agree that on the surface these signings are strange if you are expecting them to be anything other than depth.  But both can be cut after one season with not much cap hit.  It's a minor annoyance for now but I'm not ready to get my pitchfork out.

And they will have paid 12-14M for two players that could have been player on rookie deals or vet min guys. Same waste of money that keeps them in this position. 

28 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

These are backups who aren't gonna impede us drafting better, younger guys, the opinions adding up their contracts are kinda farcical bc they're both cheap and not a hindrance to signing anyone else important Also the injury labels for these depth guys seem a little overstated? They didn't blow out or tear anything major, these are things guys recover from all the time. I'm just having fun with the overanalysis of guys who probably won't be here past next year

I respect your opinion but I’m seeing the same trends that we saw under Marty and I’m not a fan of it. I’ll just leave it at that lol

• Pie 2

Pat Elflein, another high football IQ, hard working guy. Should fit our zone blocking scheme again

STRENGTHS

• Tremendous run blocker
  • Quick feet
  • Versatile, can play both center and guard at the next level
  • Aggressive
  • Strong hands
  • Footwork
  • High football IQ
  • Powerful
  • Good technique
  • Experienced
  • Strong
  • Sustains blocks
  • Finisher
  • Excellent work ethic
  • Durable
  • Very physical
  • High upside

54 minutes ago, stbugs said:

See my post above. The more I look, the more we got swindled. These two should have been had for way less like low end starter salaries not average.

We targeted the mid-level guys we wanted and went and got them, I just hope we prove to be right. But man, this really does reek of classic Hurney "pay a guy like he's decent maybe he'll actually be decent" signings.

• Pie 1

If this goes as bad as it smells right now, being super early and all, we still have enough time in our 5 year plan to fire Fritters, take all personal control away from Rhule and hire the GM we should have hired before Rhule. That's the worst case I guess.

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

And they will have paid 12-14M for two players that could have been player on rookie deals or vet min guys. Same waste of money that keeps them in this position. 

It's the cost of... how does it go? No risk it no biscuit?  I'm not losing sleep about it yet.

Seems like other folks are not fans of this deal either. 

panthersb_logo.gif Panthers sign OT Cameron Erving (2 years, $10 million; $6 million guaranteed): O'BRIEN Grade

When grading the Pat Elflein signing, I wrote that the Vikings were laughing at the move because they waived Elflein in 2020. Now that the Panthers have signed Cameron Erving, I can say that numerous teams are laughing, namely every single franchise that has rostered Erving over the years

Frankly, Erving is a bad player. He's a replacement-level talent. He has experience, but that doesn't matter because it's nothing but bad experience. He's not even a good backup because there's no upside. 

With that in mind, there was no reason to pay Erving this sort of money. Any sort of guarantee is a mistake. Even six dollars - forget the million - would be too much. This signing deserves an F- grade. It's even worse than the Patriots' decision to overpay Jonnu Smith because Smith, at least, is a solid player. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Seems like other folks are not fans of this deal either. 

panthersb_logo.gif Panthers sign OT Cameron Erving (2 years, $10 million; $6 million guaranteed): O'BRIEN Grade

When grading the Pat Elflein signing, I wrote that the Vikings were laughing at the move because they waived Elflein in 2020. Now that the Panthers have signed Cameron Erving, I can say that numerous teams are laughing, namely every single franchise that has rostered Erving over the years

Frankly, Erving is a bad player. He's a replacement-level talent. He has experience, but that doesn't matter because it's nothing but bad experience. He's not even a good backup because there's no upside. 

With that in mind, there was no reason to pay Erving this sort of money. Any sort of guarantee is a mistake. Even six dollars - forget the million - would be too much. This signing deserves an F- grade. It's even worse than the Patriots' decision to overpay Jonnu Smith because Smith, at least, is a solid player. 

"Quotes walter football" lol

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

"Quotes walter football" lol

Then find me anything that thinks it’s a good move. Any non-Panther site. How are they any less credible than the rest of these self proclaimed experts people post stuff from on a daily basis.