• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moving on and moving up...QB.

Captain Morgan

Looks like the Watson possibility is all but closed.  We may have dodged a bullet.  Imagine taking on that salary and then finding out Watson will not be able to play.    But that leads us back to finding a QB, and that leaves the draft, and that means moving up.

You can say we'll wait and get Lance at 8 all you want, but you don't even know if we want Lance. Plus, that's a gamble, and from everything we've done in the last few months, we ain't gambling on maybe getting one....we've gambling on getting the one we want and hoping he turns out to be a true franchise QB we can build around.

So let's look at the cost of moving up this year for Fields, who Verge has indicated may be out target.

From what we know right now, I think our front office is going to go as high as #2 if possible to get him.

That pick may not be available, as the Jets may want Fields, Wilson or Lance.  Regardless, I think it almost certain if we can't get #2, we'll go for #3 and take the next QB on our list.  

So let's look at the cost of moving up.  Here's the Draft Trade Chart, which at least gives us a starting place.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

We draft at #8....we have 1400 points in draft capital.  

To get to #2 we need to give up 1200 points.   That starts with this years first and next years first and won't  be enough.  I don't know how much value next year's first translates to this year's draft, and then there is the Jets ability to say "the math may work, but we want more". And of course there will be a bidding war for the pick if it's available.  So we'd be looking a possibility of 3 firsts (which may not be enough....it's a seller's market IF they decide to trade the pick.

To get to #3, we need 800 points.

In this year's draft, that would work out to our first 4 picks, meaning we get #2 and and don't draft again till round 5, which I don't think we want to do, and I don't think the Dolphins would accept.  We already heard they were willing to move Tua in the Watson trade, so they may want to choose another QB this year.  We're looking at an offer of 2 firsts and 2 thirds, and it may not be enough.

I feel we need to save this year's second rounder to get a left tackle, so what would the scenario be?    Would they want one of our players in addition to the 2 firsts and 2 thirds?

The Falcons hold #4...would they trade with a division rival knowing we're taking a QB?  I do have a  surprising option here, but I'll save that for later.

What are you willing to give up as far as picks and players to move up this year?  It's going to hurt, but not as bad as what we'd have given up for Watson.

And here's a picture of a smiling dog to make you feel better.

Do Dogs Really Smile? - The Dodo

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

I’m all aboard the Fields/Lance train. Do whatever it takes within reason to get one of them. 

We are going to be a more talented football team next year with or without Teddy. We will likely draft lower in next years draft as this team clearly does not believe in tanking. Get your franchise QB this draft while you have the capital and position and don’t throw poo on the wall like Mac Jones hoping it sticks. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It would be $10M next year. After that Watson is probably either banned or this is all in the past and he's on the field

his guaranteed money is over a hundred mill, a good bit could be in the pro-rated bonus, but it's closer to 100 mill than it is to 10 mill.  You'd like to think the Texans had a clause in the contract that would negate the deal on a morals clause, but then again, this is the Texans we're talking about.

Interesting scenario... team gives the deal, NFL bans the player, does the team owe the guaranteed money?  Anyway, not our problem.

Edited by Captain Morgan

30 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Only place I'm interested in trading is down.

If they want Lance like I do and hes still there at 5 and the price is like 3rd and future 4th...whatevars low cost.... Im ready for that price. Not 3 1sts 3 2nds, plus mids to move up 5 spots, insane. 

• Pie 4

I'm fine with trading up if we've identified a specific target.

If we stay at 8 and the "big four" are gone, trade down is by far and away my #1 option with the ultimate goal of getting an additional 1st next year. We're going to be in the same boat again if needing a QB, we'll need all the draft ammo we can get.

• Pie 3