• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steelers Cut Starting CB Steven Nelson

Seltzer

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've only got two corners who are taller. Oliver is 6'0 and new signee Rashaan Melvin is 6'2.

Our current number one corner (Jackson) is only 5'10.

The one CB we looked at this offseason was 6'2" and isn't Snow quoted as saying he likes fast and long CBs?

As long as they are on cheap rookie deals that's fine. We are doing what we can with what we have. So far, none look like they should be a part of the long term plans yet and someone has to play NB. If we flipped that entire unit by the end of the next draft I would be ecstatic with the process. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I can understand passing on him, but just basing it on height? 

I guess you would have passed on Revis also? 

One, this guy isn't a Revis level player or he wouldn't have been cut. Two, I would take Woodson over Revis everyday if we are playing choose the great CB. 

It's not just height. It's price, skills and height. If we are talking big contracts then they better have some height on them or be a freak athletically. 

• Beer 1

50 minutes ago, Waldo said:

One, this guy isn't a Revis level player or he wouldn't have been cut. Two, I would take Woodson over Revis everyday if we are playing choose the great CB. 

It's not just height. It's price, skills and height. If we are talking big contracts then they better have some height on them or be a freak athletically. 

What if he was good and under 6’, would you pay him then? 

A good player is a good player, his height might be reason he is good or bad but by itself it doesn’t tell you anything and using it as a singular metric to decide on a player is poor evaluation.

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

What if he was good and under 6’, would you pay him then? 

A good player is a good player, his height might be reason he is good or bad but by itself it doesn’t tell you anything and using it as a singular metric to decide on a player is poor evaluation.

Don't know. He was exceptional so I wouldn't think it would change much other than his normal self was great and would be better in that scenario. And yes price matters. 

That's true but it can be a deal killer when they are not good enough at that position. This guy in discussion doesn't look worth it unless we are talking one year get into the next draft and take a CB in the 1st if we still have it. 

The NFL has changed their rules dramatically to favor the WRs in those matchups. Everything matters at CB because they are playing a position where it's not fair. I'm hoping, from what I have heard from F/R/S, that by the end of next offseason we will have better options at CB and FS. I just don't think we have the luxury to make much of a dent this offseason with neglecting the O last offseason.

• Beer 1

Somehow, we are like $28m under the cap, according to Newton (SI).  We need a CB so that we can look for a T in round 2 or in the event we have to trade the second round pick.

Time to do something.  I think we land one of the free agents by Thursday at the latest.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Somehow, we are like $28m under the cap, according to Newton (SI).  We need a CB so that we can look for a T in round 2 or in the event we have to trade the second round pick.

Time to do something.  I think we land one of the free agents by Thursday at the latest.

lol hell no D Newton is a dumb dumb