• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gardner Minshew

FuFuLamePoo

4 hours ago, mccjeff said:

If he is not the long term answer then why do it? Still going to pay TB whether he is cut or on the bench. Just to win the same amount or at best a few more games? So that leaves exciting as the reason... 

Not that I fully disagree, but we don't know if he could be the long term answer. There are some things to like about him.

"...Minshew has started 20 games, compiling a 7-13 record. His NFL production has been respectable if not overwhelming or eye-catching. Minshew’s posted 37 touchdowns, 11 picks, 7.2 yards per attempt and an only-0average 93.1 passer rating.

"Those stats can be deceiving, though. Jacksonville has fallen on hard times since their 2017 squad pushed the Patriots to the brink in the AFC Championship. They lack playmakers at too many positions to even count, which was the main reason they finished 1-15 this year and wound up with the first pick in the draft. Minshew has a strong rapport with the underrated D.J. Chark, but there’s no true WR1 on their roster. Truth is, he could have done a lot more with a receiver corps as stacked Carolina’s.

"Some of the advanced stats suggest Minshew’s a diamond in the rough, too. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the NFL’s third-highest passer rating against the blitz this season. In addition to being sharp against pressure, Minshew is far more accurate than his completion percentage suggests and his on-target throw % was among league leaders all year.

"On film, Minshew has a gorgeous deep ball and plays the position fearlessly, if a little reckless at times. His aggressive instincts are worth encouraging though, especially after the checkdown parade we just witnessed from Teddy Bridgewater.

"Overall, his game is still a bit raw. However, in the right situation Minshew could have a shocking breakout type of season similar to the one Josh Allen just had in Buffalo.

"Minshew would be a grand bargain from a contract perspective, as well. His total cap hits over the next two years come out to less than $2 million, which means Carolina could easily make room for him without having to move Bridgewater and his ill-conceived bridge QB deal. Even better, dealing for Minshew might only require one mid-round pick."

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-quarterback-trade-options-sam-darnold-jalen-hurts-gardner-minshew/

In the sense that there will be a QB given up on too early like a Drew Brees or Jim Plunkett, depending upon your situation, you can't stop looking for him.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not that I fully disagree, but we don't know if he could be the long term answer. There are some things to like about him.

"...Minshew has started 20 games, compiling a 7-13 record. His NFL production has been respectable if not overwhelming or eye-catching. Minshew’s posted 37 touchdowns, 11 picks, 7.2 yards per attempt and an only-0average 93.1 passer rating.

"Those stats can be deceiving, though. Jacksonville has fallen on hard times since their 2017 squad pushed the Patriots to the brink in the AFC Championship. They lack playmakers at too many positions to even count, which was the main reason they finished 1-15 this year and wound up with the first pick in the draft. Minshew has a strong rapport with the underrated D.J. Chark, but there’s no true WR1 on their roster. Truth is, he could have done a lot more with a receiver corps as stacked Carolina’s.

"Some of the advanced stats suggest Minshew’s a diamond in the rough, too. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the NFL’s third-highest passer rating against the blitz this season. In addition to being sharp against pressure, Minshew is far more accurate than his completion percentage suggests and his on-target throw % was among league leaders all year.

"On film, Minshew has a gorgeous deep ball and plays the position fearlessly, if a little reckless at times. His aggressive instincts are worth encouraging though, especially after the checkdown parade we just witnessed from Teddy Bridgewater.

"Overall, his game is still a bit raw. However, in the right situation Minshew could have a shocking breakout type of season similar to the one Josh Allen just had in Buffalo.

"Minshew would be a grand bargain from a contract perspective, as well. His total cap hits over the next two years come out to less than $2 million, which means Carolina could easily make room for him without having to move Bridgewater and his ill-conceived bridge QB deal. Even better, dealing for Minshew might only require one mid-round pick."

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-quarterback-trade-options-sam-darnold-jalen-hurts-gardner-minshew/

In the sense that there will be a QB given up on too early like a Drew Brees or Jim Plunkett, depending upon your situation, you can't stop looking for him.

Pretty much this. Yes, he probably isn't the answer. But would I be totally floored if he one day was producing as a top-10 QB in the right system with talent around him? I don't think so. Sure - we'd all love the next Mahomes, but the chances of that player ever coming along are extremely rare. There's just enough there with Minshew to intrigue me, I'd give a fourth without hesitation. Might could be talked into a third, wouldn't go higher than that, though.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Pretty much this. Yes, he probably isn't the answer. But would I be totally floored if he one day was producing as a top-10 QB in the right system with talent around him? I don't think so. Sure - we'd all love the next Mahomes, but the chances of that player ever coming along are extremely rare. There's just enough there with Minshew to intrigue me, I'd give a fourth without hesitation. Might could be talked into a third, wouldn't go higher than that, though.

We're on the same page!

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Interesting stuff! Minshew 3rd best passer rating against the blitz,  and his on target throw % was among league leaders. Two important things to be successful in the Joe Brady system.

Article says that Minshew has a gorgeous deep ball and plays fearless. Again, total opposite of Teddy.

Minshew 7-13 is a higher winning percentage than Teddy posted at 5-11 last year with a better roster.

Minshew has 37 TD in 20 games for an average of 1.85 per game. Teddy had 15 in 16 games last year for 0.9375 per game with much better weapons and better system. On a side note, Minshew had 21 TD in only 9 games this past year for 2.333 per game.

Minshew has 11 Interceptions in 20 games for 0.55 per game. Teddy had 11 in 16 games last year for 0.6875 per game. 

Minshew has posted a 93.1 passer rating in 20 games. Teddy was at 92.1 last year. 

When looking at some of the numbers, also remember that Teddy has a lot more NFL experience and makes nearly $20 million more per year. 

I say offer them a 2022 4th and see where talks go from there. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Interesting stuff! Minshew 3rd best passer rating against the blitz,  and his on target throw % was among league leaders. Two important things to be successful in the Joe Brady system.

Article says that Minshew has a gorgeous deep ball and plays fearless. Again, total opposite of Teddy.

Minshew 7-13 is a higher winning percentage than Teddy posted at 5-11 last year with a better roster.

Minshew has 37 TD in 20 games for an average of 1.85 per game. Teddy had 15 in 16 games last year for 0.9375 per game with much better weapons and better system. On a side note, Minshew had 21 TD in only 9 games this past year for 2.333 per game.

Minshew has 11 Interceptions in 20 games for 0.55 per game. Teddy had 11 in 16 games last year for 0.6875 per game. 

Minshew has posted a 93.1 passer rating in 20 games. Teddy was at 92.1 last year. 

When looking at some of the numbers, also remember that Teddy has a lot more NFL experience and makes nearly $20 million more per year. 

I say offer them a 2022 4th and see where talks go from there. 

Worth noting that Minshew's percent of throws resulting in TDs was 4.9, and INTs was 1.5.  Teddy's numbers were 3 and 2.2...

• Beer 1