• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gunslinger or Game Manager

Gunslinger or Game Manager  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you Rather Have?

• Gunslinger
    • Game Manager

Outside of getting a Mahomes or Watson or Rodgers type of QB which are considered franchise QBs.  What type of QB would you prefer?

I personally like the Gunslinger.  A guy that isn't afraid to let the WR make the play.  Jake was probably our best gunslinger and though he would throw a couple more picks than a game manager it was fun to watch him heave it up and let Smitty or Moose go up and get the ball. 

Game Managers are great if you have a solid defense and a good core offensively but when the game is on the line they don't take gambles that could win or lose you the game.  Bridgewater is a prime example of a Game Manager (Panthers).  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean you can argue Rodgers, Peyton, etc are all the ideal game manager.  Part of being a great game manager is to know when and where you have to take calculated shots.   They routinely play for another down or series.  They also know when to chuck it deep.  They know the moments you can and can’t play it safe.  

Teddy IMO isn’t actually a game manger per my view.  Teddy is risk adverse.   

Thank you.

The questions seems to imply making a choice based on a QB that is NOT our franchise QB. Did I read this line right? Outside of getting a Mahomes or Watson or Rodgers type of QB which are considered franchise QBs.  What type of QB would you prefer?
I want our franchise QB to be a game manager. What does this mean? Essentially to me this means they have the football IQ, and ability to turn the dial up or down as the game dictates. Down 2 TD in the fourth? They can be a gunslinger. Up 1 TD in the fourth? They can make less dangerous yet accurate passes to move the sticks without turning the ball over. 

To me, a game manager can also be a gunslinger, but a gunslinger cannot transition to a game manager.  Just my interpretation of the terms. 

• Pie 2

A gunslinger type works better in a Coryell offense.

We're not running a Coryell.

The type of offense we run is more effective with a game manager type.

Also, if you're making this choice based on who's more exciting to watch rather than who's more likely to win games, you're kinda missing the point of football.

• Pie 4

Gunslinger because Game Manager is a dying breed with the fall of the rushing offense.

A Game Manager can keep you in games these days against good teams, but won't beat great teams you'll meet for sure in the playoffs.

The ever evolving passing game has regulated Game Managers to backups.

8 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Gunslinger because Game Manager is a dying breed with the fall of the rushing offense.

A Game Manager can keep you in games these days against good teams, but won't beat great teams you'll meet for sure in the playoffs.

I feel the opposite is true.  In today's NFL you need more of a game manager type who throws a lot of short and intermediate throws accurately.  A gunslinger will at times put your defense in bad position,  which the league has made it harder to stop offenses.  That being said you want a game manager who can throw deep if needed and can fit a ball into a tight space if needed.  

16 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

A game manager just won the Super Bowl.

• Pie 2

45 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Yeah, this is tricky because most are going to vote "gunslinger" right now because of TB. But another TB, Tom Brady, just won a SB being a game manager. Additionally, you dont want a gunslinger that throws more picks than TDs. 

Correct.

The choice isn't a gunslinger or Bridgewater. If you want to frame it correctly, it's more a question of Brett Favre / John Elway vs Tom Brady / Drew Brees.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1