Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Bucky Brooks won't be sucked into Mac's meteoric rise


Recommended Posts

Brooked also rated Tua as the best QB in 2020 and Haskins as his favorite in 2019. In 2018 it was Josh Rosen as number 1 and Lamar Jackson number 4 and Josh Allen number 5. In 2017 he had Watson and Kizer and Trubinsky in front of Mahomes.  So not sure that he would garner  much credibility here. His track record isn't that great.

  • Pie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Mac Jones, but couldnt all of this have been said about Burrows last season as well?

Burrow constantly avoided pressure and seemed to be more athletic who loved to throw it deep. Not saying Mac will be bad, but he seems to be slower with less arm strength. Like a Burrow-Lite. Both seem to be film room guys who are constantly trying to get better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Mac Jones, but couldnt all of this have been said about Burrows last season as well?

Mobility and arm strength were never in question with Burrow. He was always the consensus top pick, not some “rising” player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, @bonafidebanter said:

The only thing that I will say is that Mitchell Trubisky got elevated above Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. It won't be the last time either. When these so called "experts" are proven wrong year after year, who is there to call them out on their b.s.? Who? 

But I do not recall Watson and Mahommes being criticized for slow processing speed.  Watson was a bit small and had a strong supporting cast; Mahommes was a reckless gunslinger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MHS831 said:

It is a cerebral position.  You really can't evaluate the man by measuring his arm strength, long jump, etc.  Compare his weaknesses to others' strength--and write that article.  However, there have been nearly zero Super Bowl winning QBs who were not very smart and quick processors.

And yet we are here evaluating Teddy on those qualities every day.

Someone please tell me what traits Jones has that Teddy does not.  Arm talent is a relative wash.  I might give Mac the nod in arm strength, but it ain't by much.  So, once you set aside arm talent, what can Mac Jones do that Teddy cannot physically?  Yea, exactly.

Above the shoulders . . . Teddy is smart.  Processes quickly.  And checks it down.  Mac might try to push downfield, but with his arm talent NFL defenses will be all over him. 

I just don't see enough difference between Mac Jones and TB5 to warrant a draft pick.  I want someone to come and and do the things that Teddy can't do.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrianS said:

And yet we are here evaluating Teddy on those qualities every day.

Someone please tell me what traits Jones has that Teddy does not.  Arm talent is a relative wash.  I might give Mac the nod in arm strength, but it ain't by much.  So, once you set aside arm talent, what can Mac Jones do that Teddy cannot physically?  Yea, exactly.

Above the shoulders . . . Teddy is smart.  Processes quickly.  And checks it down.  Mac might try to push downfield, but with his arm talent NFL defenses will be all over him. 

I just don't see enough difference between Mac Jones and TB5 to warrant a draft pick.  I want someone to come and and do the things that Teddy can't do.

Using your argument, we should upgrade the OL and not QB.  And there is something to that.  Rhule used a word to describe Teddy that I think is important and accurate--he said, "Teddy has no sense of urgency." What does that mean in coach speak?  Rhule needed Teddy to take the team on his back and drive the field to win the game about 7 or 8 times, and Teddy failed every time.  Based on what I see about Teddy, his body language and demeanor do not reflect the situation.  He is just going through the motions.  He could get away with that in New Orleans with a good OL and WRs when nobody was expecting him to win, but here--he had to make plays. 

Is Teddy a leader?  Is he fearless?  Does he have confidence that he can make the throws?  I watched a bunch of end zone video on him and I did not realize how much Teddy was checking down from open WRs.

So yes, you can compare Jones to Teddy and you can compare him to a Fitzmagic, Dalton, Delhomme, etc.  Jones had the balls to throw it up-and he had the dogs to go chase it down.  We will see!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Brooked also rated Tua as the best QB in 2020 and Haskins as his favorite in 2019. In 2018 it was Josh Rosen as number 1 and Lamar Jackson number 4 and Josh Allen number 5. In 2017 he had Watson and Kizer and Trubinsky in front of Mahomes.  So not sure that he would garner  much credibility here. His track record isn't that great.

Nuff said.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shut up, Brooks... we need the Niner's to take him ahead of us to get one of the others to fall to our spot, or at least a spot that's easier to trade for. Don't go scaring them off the kid!

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Mobility and arm strength were never in question with Burrow. He was always the consensus top pick, not some “rising” player. 

Not in the way that you mean nesscesarily but Burrows was definitely a rising player.  He wasn't a consensus top pick until his last year in college where he was surrounded with amazing skill position players.  His arm strength and mobility was always there but before his transfer to LSU and the amazing supporting cast he was possibly not even considered a day 2 pick, much less the first pick.   Again I'm not sure about Mac Jones at all.  I just dont really like the surrounding cast argument as much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Brooked also rated Tua as the best QB in 2020 and Haskins as his favorite in 2019. In 2018 it was Josh Rosen as number 1 and Lamar Jackson number 4 and Josh Allen number 5. In 2017 he had Watson and Kizer and Trubinsky in front of Mahomes.  So not sure that he would garner  much credibility here. His track record isn't that great.

Yeah. Was going to say he's not been too accurate in the past so I don't put a ton of stock in his predictions now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Mac Jones, but couldnt all of this have been said about Burrows last season as well?

Burrows has some athleticism to him, as well as a big arm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...