• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zach Wilson is boom or bust and should not be started year one

Ja  Rhule

ZACH WILSONQB, COLLEGE PLAYER
zach_wilson.jpg

The Athletic's Ted Nguyen said there's "more of a boom-or-bust factor" with BYU's Zach Wilson than he had expected before analyzing the prospect's game tape. 

Nguyen credited Wison for making reads quickly and delivering throws not many pro quarterbacks could make, but pointed out Wilson's poor footwork and overaggressive approach. Wilson's inconsistent footwork led to many off-target throws in his final season at BYU, even against weak competition. Nguyen said in the NFL, Wilson might not have the clean pocket he had through much of his 2020 season behind one of the nation's top offensive lines. He called Wilson a "project" and said the "team that drafts him will have to be patient and comfortable in its ability to develop him." A willingness to sit Wilson during his rookie campaign, Nguyen said, could aid his development as a passer. Whoever ends up taking a chance on Wilson likely won't be in position to give the QB a red-shirt season. NBC Sports Edge's Hayden Winks has Wilson going to the Jets with the second pick in the upcoming draft. 

• Pie 3

Its interesting to me how Patrick Mahomes gets a pass on everything that other QBs are scorned for.  With him its not "inconsistent footwork" its "OMG I love how he can adapt his feet to any situation!"  He's not "overly aggressive," he's "a threat on any down to score."  He doesn't have "inconsistent arm angles..." well you get the point.

I consider Wilson to be in the Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers mold.  If that's not what you want, you shouldn't draft him.  And as fans of football none of us should want a team to draft him who isn't going to let him do his thing.

Well dang - I just had a scary thought for the first time.  Wilson in Atlanta.  OMG.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Its interesting to me how Patrick Mahomes gets a pass on everything that other QBs are scorned for.  With him its not "inconsistent footwork" its "OMG I love how he can adapt his feet to any situation!"  He's not "overly aggressive," he's "a threat on any down to score."  He doesn't have "inconsistent arm angles..." well you get the point.

I consider Wilson to be in the Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers mold.  If that's not what you want, you shouldn't draft him.  And as fans of football none of us should want a team to draft him who isn't going to let him do his thing.

Well dang - I just had a scary thought for the first time.  Wilson in Atlanta.  OMG.

It's really not hard to figure out. It's like a bold coaching call. When it works you're brilliant. When it doesn't you're a reckless idiot.

With Mahomes it has REALLY worked.

Exactly what I’ve been saying all along. BYU oline program is one of the best. They’re proud it it. And they destroy weaker competition. Which allowed Wilson to time which he used to run around and make on the move throws. 

This is my biggest concern with him. I. The NFL he will definitely have to adjust and learn some technical footwork because he won’t be running from subpar college competition.

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anytime a guy faced subpar competition in college there's always a question mark in terms of how he'll translate based on that alone.

I haven’t paid too much attention to what writers and others are saying about this years draftees, are they saying the same about Lance?