Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

How much of this was just wanting to get rid of bridgewater?


Recommended Posts

Preface: I think the Darnold trade was essentially burning a future 2nd rounder to take a chance at a marginal upgrade over BW to get us through the season. I neither expect this to be nor think the team considers it a long term solution at the position. 

That said, I wonder how much of this was just wanting to get rid of Teddy Bridgewater. 

1. How bad was the end of season review? During the season you can only spend so much time going over old film, since you have to prepare for the next week. After the seasons are over, that's when coaches REALLY break down everything that happened in the previous season. How horrifying was Bridgewater's tape? 

2. Did they burn the bridges with Teddy? It's been absolutely no secret the Panthers wanted to upgrade the position. They were outbid on Stafford, and were possibly about to pull the trigger on Watson before his proclivities started coming to light. There's been a couple statements about "teddy being their guy" that were never very convincing. Teddy doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would be disrespected or whatever; guy doesn't really seem to give a poo at all. 

3. Do they think he's washed? I think the signing THEORETICALLY made sense, given his performance in New Orleans and that kind of connection to Joe Brady. We all saw a player who could pile up yards between the twenties, but definitely not someone who was going out there to win games. None of us were ever excited when he had that ball for the final 2 minute drill; we all knew how that was going to end. 

I dunno, this whole move feels like they're just trying to move on. The QB situation hasn't been addressed, but the Bridgewater question has. 

  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't think any of it was. I don't buy the notion that it's a "desperation" trade either.

Breer confirmed that we've been discussing this with the Jets since mid-February. It was always an option.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Breer confirmed that we've been discussing this with the Jets since mid-February. It was always an option.

Yeah, but it was pretty clearly their 4th option at best. 

Like I don't hate the FO because of this trade; I think that just everything out of the Panthers control that could go against them did. And it's fine having like a last ditch backup plan.

Just want to know how much of this was just getting rid of BW for getting rid of him sake. 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, electro's horse said:

Yeah, but it was pretty clearly their 4th option at best. 

Like I don't hate the FO because of this trade; I think that just everything out of the Panthers control that could go against them did. And it's fine having like a last ditch backup plan.

Just want to know how much of this was just getting rid of BW for getting rid of him sake. 

I think they were going to get rid of Bridgewater regardless.

  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah definitely part of it, Teddy couldn't get it done in close games and was a clear overpay last year. This is them understanding sunk cost and attempting to get this outta the way as soon as they can so they can move on. 

I also think they're extremely confident in their ability to coach bc we were in a lot of games last year despite the holes in the roster (games Teddy couldn't win). They probably think they can make a qb with actual traits look better than he is.

Edited by ImaginaryKev
Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering we gave up a second round pick for (possibly) a marginally better upgrade, to a team who had made known they were considering moving on from Darnold, all while we were the only team bidding for his services...  I'd say it was completely about just getting away from Teddy.

And to think, had we just held onto Cam OR not went out there like idiots and beat Washington when we had nothing to gain, none of this would've been necessary.

Rhule has shown a lot of promise with certain things, but I'm not gonna lie, his handling of the QB situation has been an absolute mess.  It doesn't matter how good of a coach you are or how great you are at all the other little things, if you mess up QB, you're screwed.  But, we'll see what happens...

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory is that Teddy didn't take coaching very well. Nice guy, but a little hard headed a la RGIII. There were a couple of Rhule pressers where Coach seemed exasperated with Teddy. "We don't reach the ball out at the goal line" etc.

If their philosophy is to keep throwing things at important positions until you find your franchise guy, I prefer that to digging in and doubling down on mistakes rather than admitting failure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Considering we gave up a second round pick for (possibly) a marginally better upgrade, to a team who had made known they were considering moving on from Darnold, all while we were the only team bidding for his services...  I'd say it was completely about just getting away from Teddy.

And to think, had we just held onto Cam OR not went out there like idiots and beat Washington when we had nothing to gain, none of this would've been necessary.

Rhule has shown a lot of promise with certain things, but I'm not gonna lie, his handling of the QB situation has been an absolute mess.  It doesn't matter how good of a coach you are or how great you are at all the other little things, if you mess up QB, you're screwed.  But, we'll see what happens...

So, you believe we're screwed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

So, you believe we're screwed?

No, not neccessarily...  I have never been a believer in Darnold, in fact, I thought he would be a bust coming out of college.  And considering he has one of the lowest QBRs of any qualified starter since he came into the league, I don't have much hope for him...  but, Rhule has shown great promise as a developer of talent, and I believe Brady is still a great playcaller that was hindered by horrible QB play last year.  So, if there is any chance Darnold can be an acceptable starter, I think he has a chance with our staff.  I really just don't think he's a franchise QB, but I hope I'm surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...