Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Colin Cowherd: Matt Kalil and Sam Darnold


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's on the roster now so hopefully he works out. If he doesn't work out I just hope that he bombs HARD. We don't need 5 or 6 wins again. Go big or go home. Be the answer or be our Clausen 2.0. Anything in between would just plain suck.

Yep, since 1995, I’ve seen a lot of Clausens

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Snake said:

Its a very unique situation so we might have a better shot at unscrewing him.

It is definitely unique.  He certainly showed much less than Tannehill overall, but he had much less time to do so before Gase got to him, too.  I'm cautiously optimistic about him, and like the flexibility he gives to the team this draft.  I was very worried we were going to reach for a QB.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's on the roster now so hopefully he works out. If he doesn't work out I just hope that he bombs HARD. We don't need 5 or 6 wins again. Go big or go home. Be the answer or be our Clausen 2.0. Anything in between would just plain suck.

I think there's a pretty good chance it is one or the other, honestly.  When someone has the raw talent he has, it seems like they are most likely to either be a great starter or a total bust.  Last year Darnold was unquestionably in the later category, but the situation with Gase etc makes all this hard to read.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think there's a pretty good chance it is one or the other, honestly.  When someone has the raw talent he has, it seems like they are most likely to either be a great starter or a total bust.  Last year Darnold was unquestionably in the later category, but the situation with Gase etc makes all this hard to read.

I agree. Darnold has a lot more upside potential than Teddy but just as importantly IMO is that he has far more massive bust potential too. You know what you're getting with Teddy. Straight up mediocrity. Darnold is far more boom or bust which is a good thing in my mind. Better chance to be the answer and also a better chance to land us a premium draft pick of he's not. Win/win in my book.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

When you watch his highlights, Darnold makes some special plays.

The problem is that the plays he makes between the highlights are often real problematic.  Hopefully good coaching can help clean that up. We saw how Gase took Tannehill, who appeared to make good and safe decisions with the ball (~2% of his throws as INTs, which is find for a young player), to a terrible decision maker (>3% as INTs over his 2 years with gase).  Can Darnold recover how Tannehill did?  Time will tell...

Some of those highlights he moves well within the pocket and makes plays.  Considering the coaching this is a promising virtue.  If we can protect him better and with the weapons we have. He should do better.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree. Darnold has a lot more upside potential than Teddy but just as importantly IMO is that he has far more massive bust potential too. You know what you're getting with Teddy. Straight up mediocrity. Darnold is far more boom or bust which is a good thing in my mind. Better chance to be the answer and also a better chance to land us a premium draft pick of he's not. Win/win in my book.

This is true, I am not factoring in his awfulness enough as a positive attribute for getting us a shot at another top 10 draft pick.

However, the counter to that being, what if it also exposes how poorly our staff is at evaluating QB talent? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, therealmjl said:

Please don’t use that turnstile in the same sentence as Sam Darnold ever again. 

don’t you put that evil on us 

I get that Ryan was not the same Ryan that you drafted, but wasn’t he a good player for you most of his career?  A good teammate and support your community?
 

He did something right, marrying a Song Girl, lol.  Seriously, did he do something really bad to the fans and franchise?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is Archie Manning talking about Darnold's situation w/the Jets last October (during a broader conversation about Trevor Lawrence). 

Some may recall that Archie was as a pretty good NFL QB on some really bad Saint's teams.  He also raised two sons that went on to win several Super Bowls.  So, I'm gonna have to give his opinion a little more weight than the average sport pundit.

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mav1234 said:

It is definitely unique.  He certainly showed much less than Tannehill overall, but he had much less time to do so before Gase got to him, too.  I'm cautiously optimistic about him, and like the flexibility he gives to the team this draft.  I was very worried we were going to reach for a QB.

With everything being said I think he's a better QB than Bridgewater right now. Probably doesn't know the system as well though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...