• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy B to the Broncos for a 6th!

joemac

20 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Dumping most of his salary for the next couple of seasons is the cream of the deal, but moving up, as you say, is the cherry on top. 

As I understand it nothing about his salary next year was guaranteed. It was essentially a 2 year deal.

• Pie 2

Broncos acquired QB Teddy Bridgewater from the Panthers in exchange for a 2021 sixth-round pick.

The Broncos have been reported to be in the mix for a QB via the draft since the start of the offseason. Drew Lock has failed to do much in his 18 games as a starter, averaging just 6.6 yards per attempt and leading the league in interceptions last year. It's hard to see Bridgewater as the long-term answer though. After playing admirably as Drew Brees backup in 2019, the Saints ultimately let him walk in free agency. Then the Panthers saw a year of him as a starter and chose to replace him with Sam Darnold. Neither move is a resounding endorsement of his potential. Bridgewater will have a great cast of weapons to work with in Denver but he played alongside a talented receiving unit in Carolina last year and did little with the opportunity. He threw 15 touchdowns to 11 interceptions and won just four games across 15 starts. As part of the trade, Carolina agreed to take on $7 million of Bridgewater's $10 million in guarantees for 2021. That makes the deal low-risk for the Broncos but it remains minimal in upside. Adam Schefter added that this move doesn't take Denver out of the QB conversation with the No. 9 pick in the draft. Acquiring two quarterbacks in as many days would be surprising but the lack of investment in Bridgewater leaves a first-round passer on the table for the Broncos

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am now really not understanding this pick.  We also shot ourselves in the foot in regards to the draft.  Why not wait and see if Denver would flip picks if someone fell.  Something is off here

What's off here is Bridgewater, as in he's, off of our roster, which is a great thing.  

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

As I understand it nothing about his salary next year was guaranteed. It was essentially a 2 year deal.

Yup. Buuut there was still going to be a bit of dead cap with a cut (5 mil I believe) instead of a trade so that's why this helped.  But you are generally right and it's also why I disagree with the whole "worst contract ever" narrative. 

HE GONE

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

I didn't initially realize we were eating 17 million in dead cap for this. The only bonus is the extra draft pick. Panthers mgmt owes the fans after that terrible signing. We need more than Sam Darnold and Will Grier...

Walker is still there I think. Besides, even if they don't go QB in the first, they'll probably take one to develop in the mid rounds or maybe even Mond or Trask in the second.

• Pie 1