• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Wingo and Tony Pauline on Panthers draft class

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

the question is, how long are they going to be able to keep that aging band together and just how effective will they be as time goes on?

Tampa may be the Rolling Stones of football.

• Beer 1
3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Continuity is not always good? What could that possibly mean? It’s not good that the OL knows what they should do on every play? It’s not good that the WRs and QBs are used to each other?

I’m sorry, but I like their chances way better for 2021. You’re a blind homer if you like our chances better. This goes back to the old hope of the draft. There is a tiny chance, as some have mentioned, that we pull 6 starters from the draft. There is a tiny chance that the OL is fixed and our FA OL play at a level they’ve never played at before.

I like our draft and some of the FAs, but the chance that it all works out this year instantly is very slim. All Tampa has to do is avoid injuries. Look at our 2016, even with the decimation of our OL (one starter played the correct spot all year, were down to 3rd string C, had Remmers at LT, etc.) and other injuries we were a Ganope away from 9-7/10-6. That’s what an already talented team gets you. Had our OL been healthy, we make the playoffs again like 2017.

We in 2021 aren’t there yet and Tampa is. I’d take the odds with established NFL talent every day over hoping FAs and rookies play at a high level. Don’t get me wrong, Brady will retire at some point and I like our future, especially if we can get good OL play, but a lucky with injuries Tampa has this division.

I don't see 6 starters but I do see a possibility of 7 or 8 players drafted seeing significant playing time. 

• Beer 1
3 minutes ago, classics said:

I'm no homer I can assure you. I like how the FO was aggressive in addressing all the needs but like you state, the odds of everyone working out are very remote. That doesn't mean that we won't be a much improved team though and I do like our chances against them much better today than last year.  

That makes sense. I thought you meant that you liked our chances to do better than them this year. We should be a lot better than we were last year. I like the trend we are on talent wise and it all hinges on Darnold. If he can play like we hope he can, 2022 (growing pains this year) and beyond should be a lot of fun.

• Pie 1
2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I don't see 6 starters but I do see a possibility of 7 or 8 players drafted seeing significant playing time. 

It’s possible but realistically I’d expect 3 or 4 to see significant time. Maybe we got steals in day 3, but it’s rare that day 3 guys contribute a lot or at all. It would be shocking and game changing if 7 or 8 players see significant playing time not due to “having” to be on field due to injuries.

I’m also not counting a LS. It’ll be nice if he takes over and doesn’t suck but we aren’t getting better just cheaper.

2 hours ago, bigdavis said:

I can't agree with that "ridiculous continuity" statement.

It's a common idea that each SB champ will be the next year's favorite to repeat.  But as this list shows, it doesn't work out that way;

https://www.topendsports.com/events/super-bowl/winners-list.htm

No repeaters in the last 10 years! If anything, THAT's continuity -- the inability to repeat.  In fact, only 3 of those last 10 winners even GOT to the SB the next season.  Why?  Complacency, salaries, trades, parity through drafting?  Who knows; but it is a trend, not an outlier that SB winners don't repeat, regardless of "experts" forecasts.

I grant you that Tom Brady has won 4 of the last 10, but that's HIS continuity, not the team's.  Anyway, don't anoint them just yet.

Do you guys understand what continuity means? It doesn’t mean how talented a team is or if their OL sucks. It doesn’t mean they are repeating. It’s how much the team has stayed the same year to year. Do you guys remember the continuity article on ESPN last year that was discussed on here? We were dead last based on how many starters had left and having an entire new coaching staff.

Tampa’s continuity from 2020 to 2021 is ridiculous. They didn’t lose a head coach or coordinator from last year. They are returning all 22 starters. They didn’t really lose any key contributors. That’s the definition of ridiculous continuity in the NFL because retaining all 22 starters from a SB winning team has NEVER happened before.

I’m not a Tampa fan but I did sleep at home last night and I do understand what continuity actually means. 

• Pie 1
1 hour ago, rayzor said:

personally, i hope that the bucs do everything exactly the same this year. easier to figure out and stop.

As long as Leftwich is calling plays, I wouldn't count on that kind of continuity. He may be the best offensive playcaller in the business right now. Definitely top 5. They literally made a mockery of the World Champions' defense.

1 minute ago, Pup McBarky said:

As long as Leftwich is calling plays, I wouldn't count on that kind of continuity. He may be the best offensive playcaller in the business right now. Definitely top 5. They literally made a mockery of the World Champions' defense.

i think we'll take them.

• Beer 2
5 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Yeah, not happy about Tampa. They've basically got (statistically)a beast in Kyle Trask watching learning and waiting behind Brady. 

Trask?  Sorry, but Trask will be a jag.

3 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

Trask?  Sorry, but Trask will be a jag.

Don't agree. Nothing about his time as a starter says that. He will be trouble. 

6 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Yeah, not happy about Tampa. They've basically got (statistically)a beast in Kyle Trask watching learning and waiting behind Brady. 

Say what you want about my opinion but I would MUCH rather have Darnold than Trask. 

• Beer 1
5 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I'm glad we invested a late round pick to get the best collegiate long snapper. I get why everyone is joking about it, but it's just due to their outmoded thinking. We need to hit a homerun on JJ Jansen's replacement. We've been spoiled for over a decade, and long snapper isn't something you can just sign a guy off the street for if you want anywhere near the continuity/performance we've enjoyed.  

The Carolina coaching staff worked with Alabama LS Thomas Fletcher at the Senior Bowl.  So they were confident in his ability and that he'd be a good fit with the team.   

Another LS was chosen 3 picks later so it wasn't too early to get one.   Especially one you're sure about.  

• Beer 1