• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Slide: Daviyon Nixon

kungfoodude

Mid-5th, I 100% agree with the risk. Why not go for it all starting in the 5th-7th, what you miss out a 4 year *maybe core special teamer??? fug that thinking, go for a starter that may have a couple red flags. Yea soo what he acts young, so what he likes the weed, so what hes a free lancer, figure it out!! Reach the young lad and make sure he aware thats your main goal is helping him to become a professional NFLer. If its doesnt work, you only lost 5th-7th round value. No big deal. 

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

There was a “dorm room incident” 2 years ago and that’s all I could find. He was apparently cleared of all wrong doing.

That and there was an article in a local paper in Iowa that was bragging how he'd overcome his "learning disability."  Most of the articles I read were treating this as if they were making a second round investment--but where we are getting him--and with this staff--NOT WORRIED.   This supports the colts position on Fansided a few days before the draft--referencing the Atlantic, they call NIXON a "day 2 steal" which suggests he has first round potential.

2. Daviyon Nixon is fading fast

While Christian Barmore, who is facing his own slide, is regarded as the best defensive tackle in this class, Nixon is making a strong case for the No. 2 spot, as the Iowa All-American showed that he’s one of the best athletes at his position.

Nixon is starting his own perilous descent down draft boards, as Bob McGinn of The Athletic (subscription required) claims that teams are concerned about his behavior off the field, with some reportedly taking him off of their board altogether. Could the Colts be willing to give up on this Day 2 steal because of his past?

Nixon’s reported transgressions include a “dorm-room incident” in the summer of 2018, even though he was not found liable for any wrongdoing. Regardless, several teams have either removed him from their board or expressed moderate to severe concerns with him,..

Yeah, for a potential starter, its worth a 5th pick. The guy i was at 30 would kick my 20 year old ass, so its possible he gets it together. Kinda surprised to hear Iowa kept a guy around like that. Ferentz can go 6-6 for life and keep his job. 

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Got You GIF by memecandy

Did you have him dropping because of play or off the field issues?  Talent alone, he should have been gone before the 4th round.  I had vaguely heard of some read flags, but never got the details so I figured they were minor.  I still don't know all the details, but they were apparently serious enough that some teams took him off their boards completely.

Edited by 45catfan

I don't think it was character issues that caused Daviyon Nixons draft stock to drop but more likely his poor showing at Pro Day.

After such a dominant junior season, Nixons draft stock skyrocketed as high as 10th overall in some early mock drafts. But after a more earthly pro day outing he began to see his name slide down projections.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Did you have him dropping because of play or off the field issues?  Talent alone, he should have been gone before the 4th round.  I had vaguely heard of some read flags, but never got the details so I figured they were minor.  I still don't know all the details, but they were apparently serious enough that some teams took him off their boards completely.

I did not, honestly my only two sure bets where Barmore and Onwuzurike. After them was a massive drop, imo. No 1st rounders, I was about 50/50 on, but had to be late 20s at best. Just hated the whole class overall talent and didnt feel the value was right til the 5th/late 4th. I didnt like the fresh report for McNeil, felt like he was going about where he did(mid-3rd). Like a few of the DTs, I thought Nixon had a decent spot at being a 3-4 end, which brings me to.....

Besides it didnt matter if Nixon was drafted before round 4th. That would still give me the win! Milton Williams is a DE, philly still runs a 3-4 far as I know. No chance a 275 guy is a NT/DT in that system unless ADonald wants to play NT. Hence why he was announced DE and the graphic had DE in his profile. 

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

I did not, honestly my only two sure bets where Barmore and Onwuzurike. After them was a massive drop, imo. No 1st rounders, I was about 50/50 on, but had to be late 20s at best. Just hated the whole class overall talent and didnt feel the value was right til the 5th/late 4th. I didnt like the fresh report for McNeil, felt like he was going about where he did(mid-3rd). Like a few of the DTs, I thought Nixon had a decent spot at being a 3-4 end, which brings me to.....

Besides it didnt matter if Nixon was drafted before round 4th. That would still give me the win! Milton Williams is a DE, philly still runs a 3-4 far as I know. No chance a 275 guy is a NT/DT in that system unless ADonald wants to play NT. Hence why he was announced DE and the graphic had DE in his profile. 

Got ya, just about everyone had a 2nd or 3rd round grade on Nixon based on talent, he dropped because red flags.  Hopefully he can be coached up (as a player and person) and if so, we could have a steal on our hands!

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Got ya, just about everyone had a 2nd or 3rd round grade on Nixon based on talent, he dropped because red flags.  Hopefully he can be coached up (as a player and person) and if so, we could have a steal on our hands!

I hope they are right! I had him right with McNeil(mid 4th ish), which was why I got a little nervy when it was becoming obvious he was going in the 3rd. Honestly I was for Nixon with the 4th pick, I had no idea about RBs since I only focus on panther needs(which means I was wrong about that). I just thought RB wasnt a need and FA market is flooded with decent players (UDFA too). Panthers have too many needs, but finesser added 4 picks so no issue with using a mid-late rounder on RB. 

Nixon....o my he could have a KK impact, just got to hear how he does in the weight room. While KK looked like a melted snowman, all reports I heard were he one of the strongest panthers. Plus now theres no need to resign KK, but Im trying to stay grounded about most of this draft class. Ive already blew my "homer overrating" load on Brown and Moore. Nixon is right there too along with Marshall & Smith.

At one point bleacher report had him going 12th overall and many had him as a late 1st. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2021/daviyon-nixon

On 5/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, rayzor said:

Culture influences character.

Maybe...or culture is created by a team made up of individuals that posses net positive character.

Maybe not.  I've seen plenty of dumbass walk into decent organizations and leave dumbasses.