Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Panthers Tipped Off About Saints Wanting WR Terrance Marshall In The Draft


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

It wasn't someone from the Saints war room..

Scouts, reporters and insiders extensively discuss with each other what's going on behind the scenes during the draft.

How do you think picks get tipped?

Who would have specific knowledge that the Saints are going to take Marshall with the 60th pick in the draft? The war room. Who else would know outside the war room? Saints scouts? Why would a Saints scout tell a reported who they were planing to take a the 60th pick? Why would this reporter then call the Panthers specifically. Why would the Panthers then believe this reporter enough to alter their plans. The whole thing falls apart under basic logic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Aquemini said:

"..Sorry, but if the Panthers are changing their opinions on who they should draft based on who they think we want to draft, 
then Panthers fans should be very concerned about why their team has so little confidence in their own scouting department.."

I tend to agree

It didn't happen.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok now I'm going to break down what is going on here imo.

The Panthers website needs to generate traffic after the draft. So a b.s story is cooked up to draw traffic to the website, and no sources need to be named. Mystery solved.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Who would have specific knowledge that the Saints are going to take Marshall with the 60th pick in the draft? The war room. Who else would know outside the war room? Saints scouts? Why would a Saints scout tell a reported who they were planing to take a the 60th pick? Why would this reporter then call the Panthers specifically. Why would the Panthers then believe this reporter enough to alter their plans. The whole thing falls apart under basic logic.

 

Someone told a non-panther front office person- " Mickey and Payton LOVE Marshall and are targeting him with their 2nd round pick". That person believes it and calls a panther personal and tells them the news. Can happened with agents, "Saints guaranteed me Marshall will be the 60th pick ". Ten years of build up trust and relationship can be invaluable. Now it works both ways, that panthers person must give information that their team could value.

Saints person *could be a source, I mean 5k-10k could buy a few rumors with some proof. Tho its faaar more likely the story above with a agent/former employee.    

Edited by Basbear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Who would have specific knowledge that the Saints are going to take Marshall with the 60th pick in the draft? The war room. Who else would know outside the war room? Saints scouts? Why would a Saints scout tell a reported who they were planing to take a the 60th pick? Why would this reporter then call the Panthers specifically. Why would the Panthers then believe this reporter enough to alter their plans. The whole thing falls apart under basic logic.

 

except leaks like this kind of thing happens a lot. 

i'm not going to say that there were times that some picks in previous years were leaked in certain forums here that not everyone gets access to, but it might have happened.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Someone told a non-panther front office person- " Mickey and Payton LOVE Marshall and are targeting him with their 2nd round pick". That person believes it and calls a panther personal and tells them the news. Can happened with agents, "Saints guaranteed me Marshall will be the 60th pick ". Ten years of build up trust and relationship can go be invaluable. Now it works both ways, that panthers person must give information that that team could value.

Saints person *could be a source, I mean 5k-10k could buy a few rumors with some proof. Tho its faaar more likely the story above with a agent/former employee.    

Teams tell players they'll take a guy in the ____ round often. Sometimes they take him, sometimes they don't. You can't count on that. I'll use a Panthers example. Fan favorite Vernon Butler was told by the Titans that he would be their pick in the 1st. It didn't pan out.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Who would have specific knowledge that the Saints are going to take Marshall with the 60th pick in the draft? The war room. Who else would know outside the war room? Saints scouts? Why would a Saints scout tell a reported who they were planing to take a the 60th pick? Why would this reporter then call the Panthers specifically. Why would the Panthers then believe this reporter enough to alter their plans. The whole thing falls apart under basic logic.

 

That’s assuming the information came from a Saints’ scout. I found this tidbit from Gantt’s piece on Panthers.com interesting:


There's a real division of labor when it comes to trade calls. Stewart has relationships in a number of front offices from his time with the Patriots and Eagles. Suleiman spent long stretches with the Steelers and Rams so he knows lots of guys. Allen's been here long enough to have developed plenty of contacts throughout the league.

Based on their contacts and relationships throughout the League, it’s likely a scout from another team the Saints contacted previously tipped the Panthers off. Remember, these guys had been diligently working the phones and eventually you learn things. I’m just happy to finally see the Panthers playing chess instead of checkers for a change.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Aquemini said:

"..Sorry, but if the Panthers are changing their opinions on who they should draft based on who they think we want to draft, 
then Panthers fans should be very concerned about why their team has so little confidence in their own scouting department.."

I tend to agree

Well yeah. Judging by your rep you are probably the Saints fan that posted it.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

except leaks like this kind of thing happens a lot. 

i'm not going to say that there were times that some picks in previous years were leaked in certain forums here that not everyone gets access to, but it might have happened.

Here is how I live my life. If someone makes an incredible claim, then I want a lot of supporting evidence. If you tell me you bought a CMC Panthers jersey, then I'll take your word for it. If you tell me you know who the Saints are taking at #60 in advance, then you had better have a pile of evidence.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...