• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's "Style of Ball"

5 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Watching other players turn around their careers over the years has taught me that these things don't tend to happen immediately, its a process.  However, by mid season we should be seeing some clear signs of improvement.  If not, things may get ugly in Panthersland.

Not to mention now that the newer generation of ex players are on TV and talking on those shows we are getting a lot more honestly about the whole process. Like Brandon Marshall and many others saying everyone is a system player to combat the idiotic nonsense when those non players keep calling this or that player a "system player". Literally no QB would succeed with that Jets team and they showed the routes and why its a poo system. Marshall was saying how they ran certain route patterns against defenses that are meant specifically to stop said routes and did it consistently.

Where you go matters. At least now this evaluation will be legit on his abilities. Can't argue with our weapons and can't argue that our OC isn't good.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

To me Teddy would prefer to lose a game rather than take a risk to gain needed yardage.  

Darnold is not that guy.  He doesn't shy away from taking risks.  His issue is reading defenses, taking advantage of what a defense will give him and reducing turnovers.

These two QBs are polar opposites in many ways. 

What the Panthers need is a mix of the two.  I am optimistic that Sam can be taught to read defenses and make better judgement calls.   Physically he is capable of doing everything an NFL QB needs to do.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

To me Teddy would prefer to lose a game rather than take a risk to gain needed yardage.  

Darnold is not that guy.  He doesn't shy away from taking risks.  His issue is reading defenses, taking advantage of what a defense will give him and reducing turnovers.

These two QBs are polar opposites in many ways. 

What the Panthers need is a mix of the two.  I am optimistic that Sam can be taught to read defenses and make better judgement calls.   Physically he is capable of doing everything an NFL QB needs to do.

Agreed. 100% of Darnold’s issues are between his ears.

If he can get his head right, he can be a success.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. 100% of Darnold’s issues are between his ears.

If he can get his head right, he can be a success.

Yea some of his throws were literally the ones Mahommes gets shown for on his highlights. It's not an arm, athleticism, or talent issue. Even looking at his runs he's not some inept buffoon he actually injured a defender on a run lowering his shoulder.

2 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Yea some of his throws were literally the ones Mahommes gets shown for on his highlights. It's not an arm, athleticism, or talent issue. Even looking at his runs he's not some inept buffoon he actually injured a defender on a run lowering his shoulder.

That is what makes Mahomes so otherworldly. He gets away with throws that the average gunslinger just can't. I would call it happenstance but at this point we are four years into his NFL career and his TD to INT ratio is absolutely insane. He's just at another level.

Honestly, I think we are seeing a newer era of gunslingers that are actually capable of controlling those INT's a lot more than some of the traditional gunslingers like Darnold or Winston. Much more of a measured aggressiveness. 

5 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, SBBlue said:

You're right, its real rare.  My guess is Rhule and Fit looked at the details of the situation (swiss cheese line, receivers with the dropsies, no run game, coaching etc), watched the tape and saw flashes and wondered if there's something there.  If a reclaim project was ever going to work, it looks like it should here.  Not to mention, if it does, they'll look like geniuses.

My bet, he's above average with a few flashes of wow....   He's no Mahommes or MVP Cam, but he's good.

The thing is that on this team, he doesn't need to be GREAT.   Just Good and I think he can be.

3 hours ago, Ace420 said:

I agree. Anyone who has doubts about sam are pretty much labeled as negative posters. Its kinda funny when sam has never been a good qb. I dont understand how they think criticism of sam is unwarranted when the guy has never had a good season. 

Sure, i want sam to do good, but i dont believe that a qb that has sucked his whole career is going to magically be better all of the sudden because he is on our team now... i still think passing on a qb was a bad move, and if Fields or any of the other available qbs in the draft do better than sam, it is going to make our new coach and gm look stupid. Period. We should have drafted fields and let the qbs compete. Teams wuthout a franchise qb don't have the luxury of hoping a 3 year bad qb is the answer. You keep trying until you get it right. 

We have a talented young team and i dont want to wait until they are old and washed up by the time we finally find the answer. You keep digging and keep drafting until tou find him period. You cant win a superbowl without one. 

Okay...let's say we drafted Fields.    You really believe the so-called "Competition" is actually going to be a Competition?  

They TRADED for Sam Darnold.    Therefore, he will START for them no matter what.

That's one thing.

The other thing is that the moment he has a bad throw or something, the Fields cheerleaders here(and some in the stadium) will start clamoring for Fields to replace him.  

That is why I'm glad they went with Horn instead 'cause having your young QB have to look over his shoulder is not going to help his development.

3 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Just for the record, I honestly thought Teddy would do really well for us last year.  When I first heard about his contract, I felt like I got punched in the stomach.  But, I figured that Teddy would excel in the system and be better than he is.  Part of that was assuming that Joe Brady was some kind of miracle worker.

For me personally, that's a big reason why my expectations for Sam Darnold are pretty low.  I don't think we can say that Joe Brady is a bad OC, but he's certainly not the QB miracle worker he was made out to be.  I think Brady can grow into a good play caller, but he looked like a rookie OC last season.  3rd downs and red zone come to mind.  Not that Teddy's play helped the situation, but I was scratching my head at some of the situational calls like others here.

This is going to be all on Sam.  If he can thrive in this culture and turn his career around, that's great.  But after watching some of Sam's low-lights with the Jets, my expectations are tempered.

Did you watch any of his High-lights?

'Cause that's what we're hoping for.

Looking at Sam's low-lights on a crappy Jets team that will NEVER come close to playing like the Panthers is like purposely sticking a fork in your eye just because....reasons.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Okay...let's say we drafted Fields.    You really believe the so-called "Competition" is actually going to be a Competition?  

They TRADED for Sam Darnold.    Therefore, he will START for them no matter what.

That's one thing.

The other thing is that the moment he has a bad throw or something, the Fields cheerleaders here(and some in the stadium) will start clamoring for Fields to replace him.  

That is why I'm glad they went with Horn instead 'cause having your young QB have to look over his shoulder is not going to help his development.

Did you watch any of his High-lights?

'Cause that's what we're hoping for.

Looking at Sam's low-lights on a crappy Jets team that will NEVER come close to playing like the Panthers is like purposely sticking a fork in your eye just because....reasons.

This is kind of why most of the skeptics or people with doubts don't listen to the majority of the homers. You guys literally cannot make logical arguments to support your position. You make emotional arguments. You want a great example of how to make a supportive post? Look at @SBBlue's great post from today. 

This is actually a good, supportive argument based on statistics and facts not some whiny, bitching about how you don't like the way people think because it isn't what you want to hear.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Favre was a second round pick by a team whose coach didn't want him. They traded him for a 1st after his rookie season. Delhomme was a UDFA JAG not a guy drafted and groomed to be THE guy. Brees is probably the best comp you named but he was several levels above what Darnold has been.

The odds aren't impossible but they're definitely long. We're trying to get rich off a penny stock.

Better than not doing anything at all. Guess you'd prefer it that way.  

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not premature. He absolutely was a bust for the Jets. A former #3 overall pick getting traded for a future 2nd and a couple of late rounders after three bad seasons of play is a bust.

Alex Smith had some good play later in his career, but he was still a bust in SF.

So Sam going be our Alex Smith on the chiefs without the wins though. Am I rite? Then we find our savior, thank the lord

And Mr. Scot to assume because he's moved to a new team doesn't wipe away his past

Giving him the delusion he's still a rookie and this is him staring all over is babysitting...time to grow up or as Tepper would say grow some Brass Balls

Edited by CPsinceDay1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That is what makes Mahomes so otherworldly. He gets away with throws that the average gunslinger just can't. I would call it happenstance but at this point we are four years into his NFL career and his TD to INT ratio is absolutely insane. He's just at another level.

Honestly, I think we are seeing a newer era of gunslingers that are actually capable of controlling those INT's a lot more than some of the traditional gunslingers like Darnold or Winston. Much more of a measured aggressiveness. 

Yea he's fantastic. Its also worth pointing out that Alex Smith took that team to the AFC Championship game. KC has weapons that are second to none and one of the best offensive HC ever...fist ballot HoFer....goes back to a previous post of mine in here. System matters and everyone is a system player.

Doesn't mean Darnold will pan out but it also means it isn't just Mahommes and he couldn't just go anywhere and light it up like people are so quick to say about all sorts of players when it simply isn't true.  IF he had been the QB on the Jets we'd be calling him a bust...I mean hell he was the QB of the Jets in the SB when his OL played like the Jets OL...53%comp and 2 ints 0 TD...270yds. No one plays well getting pressured on over half of their drop backs 

More than in years past it seems people are getting second chances as the old school way has given to the younger generation that are now coaches and such it never was so simple but the old guard of a particular way of thinking has been getting replaced. I'm glad Mahommes got to go to KC and play with Reid and I'm glad people are getting second chances instead of being scapgoats for poo HCs like Jeff Fisher and what happened with Vince Young for example.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Yea he's fantastic. Its also worth pointing out that Alex Smith took that team to the AFC Championship game. KC has weapons that are second to none and one of the best offensive HC ever...fist ballot HoFer....goes back to a previous post of mine in here. System matters and everyone is a system player.

Doesn't mean Darnold will pan out but it also means it isn't just Mahommes and he couldn't just go anywhere and light it up like people are so quick to say about all sorts of players when it simply isn't true.  IF he had been the QB on the Jets we'd be calling him a bust...I mean hell he was the QB of the Jets in the SB when his OL played like the Jets OL...53%comp and 2 ints 0 TD...270yds. No one plays well getting pressured on over half of their drop backs 

More than in years past it seems people are getting second chances as the old school way has given to the younger generation that are now coaches and such it never was so simple but the old guard of a particular way of thinking has been getting replaced. I'm glad Mahommes got to go to KC and play with Reid and I'm glad people are getting second chances instead of being scapgoats for poo HCs like Jeff Fisher and what happened with Vince Young for example.

Go look at all those QB needy teams dealing for proven bust in 2017, after FA most felt new scene, new person. Ex. Cutler, Geno Smith..

How did that go for them passing up on Mahommes(Fields becomes the new Mahommes)

Oh wait a kid from Kansas City made his way to the Eagles and guess what, lighting in a bottle but does lightning strike twice the same way....buy wait eagles had some rookie QB who pushed Foles to go beyond...

So the system does matter but finding the right combination of players at each position matters more.

Edited by CPsinceDay1
  • Beer 1