• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Erving

SBBlue

32 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We are running the wide zone scheme.  That requires the RB to start running at the DE, then he adjusts and makes a cut based on the OL head positions--the read is C/B to B/A gap, so a back like CMC is perfect for this offense. 

And Chuba the perfect backup/compliment.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We are running the wide zone scheme.  That requires the RB to start running at the DE, then he adjusts and makes a cut based on the OL head positions--the read is C/B to B/A gap, so a back like CMC is perfect for this offense. 

Having said that, everyone looks at Erving's pass blocking, but his run blocking is pretty on point.  Expect to see a lot of play action, where the DE/OLB has to hold the point and that (along with Tremble) will help Erving (if he is the LT).  Erving is smart, and this requires some thinking--more about body position than anchoring the entire side.

We could have a good line.  I am not sure yet, because I am still learning about the skill set each position needs.  I know that the C is a key player because he must reach the interior OL wherever he is--it is hard to understand at this point...but do not apply a power running gap scheme formula to this OL--

I know that Christensen was considered a G by many wide zone teams and they wanted him--and would have been gone soon if we had not grabbed him.  Cosmi and Slater were the top OTs teams wanted for this offense.  So compare our LTs to those guys and maybe you get a better idea. 

I am starting to see it--of course, you have to execute.

This is not homer talk or nothing, plus I say this after voicing my displeasures about both Elf and Erv regularly. Wide zone system is a GREAT fit for both of them, especially Elf. Both in motion and out in space suits them much better than one vs one. Both are able pulling OL too, tho thats not a LT role...still I think the fit is a great one. I just need to see live snaps along with BOTH staying healthy. Thing is you need a massive amount of reps to get this down too....... poor Pat will have to find a way, glad its not me... 

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

He is.

In the draft forum I went back and reviewed some Chuba game reps. My god he was dam near unstoppable going up the middle and he got 10, 8, 12, 7 gains like it was nothing. Better hands than I originally thought too. I loved round 4-7 more than 1-3, but wasnt big on Chuba so I dove back in and improved my opinion. Still this isnt big 12 any more, those easy 10 yard gainers will be rare now....

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 3

I think it gets lost in the sauce a bit but no starting 5 in the NFL is perfect. The reality of the situation Scott and Matt find themselves on with the o line is betting on the upside of certain players and hoping they find a combo that can stick. Even with a top 10 pick there’s no guarantee. Obviously I’m not thrilled with the LT situation but I see the vision and the reasons for the adds. It’s on the players and the coach’s now to make it happen. 

• Pie 4

41 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

They ran the wide zone at OK St.--one of the best at it.  So they went after talent to run it--Tremble, Christensen, Chubba, and I think they will groom D. Moore  to be the center of the future.  Elflein, Erving--both seemingly suited for it. 

If I had known that is what they were doing, and knew more about the wide zone, I might have been even more excited about the draft and free agency.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Scott started the Bucs2, Lions, Packers and WFT.

LIttle started Falcons2, Cardinals, Chargers.

Daley started Chiefs game but exited the game and LIttle finished.

Okung started 7 games: Raiders,  Bucs1, Falcons1, Bears, Saints1, Vikings and Broncos.

Schoefield started the 2nd Saints game.

Edited by SBBlue

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Elflein, Erving--both seemingly suited for it. 

Cause they're mobile?

If I had known that is what they were doing, and knew more about the wide zone, I might have been even more excited about the draft and free agency.

Cool.

• Beer 1

21 hours ago, MHS831 said:

They ran the wide zone at OK St.--one of the best at it.  So they went after talent to run it--Tremble, Christensen, Chubba, and I think they will groom D. Moore  to be the center of the future.  Elflein, Erving--both seemingly suited for it. 

Please allow me to help with the assistance form the recently passed Alex Gibbs aka the Godfather of modern zone blocking-

If you want to down further down the rabbit hole and have the 90 minutes-

Side notes- The thing is Gibbs was constantly changing, not cause he wanted too, but cause he had too. Its hard to understand and keep up, but you will do fine given youve been around football before. I started following him during my fantasy football days- "Who is the reason for the constant success given different RBs" Gibbs...... he doesnt get the credit, but he changed the whole football game(all levels), hes like the OL Bill Walsh. Fun fact I know you will remember Rashad Butler, 3rd round OT form the canes IR rookie year, cut the next. Gibbs was at Texans at that point, they claimed him and he craved out a 5 year run with them after being tossed out. (label as too weak form the panthers). Erv is a better Bulter in my book, still the system has changed some since these vids where released, but this is best start you can get. Lastly Gibbs was a NCer too....and I was legit scared when he came to the Failcons....turns out all you need elite DL filled with peppers. jenks, rucker, buck, and good backups then that zone stuff isnt as tough...... enjoy.

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 hours ago, Actionman0z said:

The one glaring weakness of Fitts resume is that they have whiffed a ton on O line 

I''m not sure we should close that book just yet. We do have some games to play. Let's see what happens before we make a final judgement.

There are more than a few around here who may want to add QB to that list. Or at least at this point in time anywho.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, frankw said:

I thought we finally got rid of Hurney 🤔

Groan.   Yeah 2 yr, 5mil a year for a swing tackle who performed well last year.   Its not going to break the bank.  Sheesh.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 1