• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Will Be Panthers Biggest 2021 Sleeper?

KatsAzz

11 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

The term means the person who surprisingly succeeds. Why would Perryman playing well be surprising?

Darnold playing better wouldn't be surprising either as most predict he will.

It would need to be someone like Little or Slye or Irving to a lesser extent to be a sleeper. Or Grier solidifying the backup.

8 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Thank you. 

Some people fail to grasp simple communication.  

"Darnold playing better wouldn't be surprising either as most predict he will."

That depends on which metric you are using. If you are using people's general opinions then you are correct. If you are using history then it would be correct to consider it a surprise as historically QBs that are considered failures after their first stint at the position do not succeed when they change teams. His success here would make him an exception to the norm which would be considered a surprise. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

That depends on which metric you are using. If you are using people's general opinions then you are correct. If you are using history then it would be correct to consider it a surprise as historically QBs that are considered failures after their first stint at the position do not succeed when they change teams. His success here would make him an exception to the norm which would be considered a surprise. 

It's amazing how you quote.2 people responding to the prediction that our starting MLB is going to have a good season. 

Do you stay with the subject? Nope. You bring up our QB. 

SO YOU ALREADY LOST THIS DEBATE.

6 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I think the number of people predicting Darnold will win or lose and the histroy of QBs being considered a failure after a bad first year balance each other out.

So yes,in my opinion it could be considered a surprise if Darnold has a great 2021 season.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, stbugs said:

The dead cap is all accounting.

I hear what you are saying, but to say that the cap is All accounting seems to gloss over how important the cap is....its more than just accounting.  There are repercussion for going over the cap, and the cap is THE accounting that matters for the team.  The date of the checks doesn't.  There aren't payday or check casualties.  There are Cap Casualties.  There aren't NFL penalties for check dating.  There are  penalties for going over or subverting the cap.  

I don't care whether Matt actually got paid in 2017,2018,2019 or 2020.  I do care that he ate up cap space all 4 years.  Cap is accounting, but it has real consequences.

we probably wasted 4-5x Kalil’s total contract

We spent 25 mil.  We got one BAD season.  We wasted more than 5 mill on Mat Kalil.

At least Teddy gave us his very best, for what it was.  Mat Kalil gave us sht, and possibly his worst season.

NO got Ryan Ramzcyk for 5 years with the same money that we wasted on mediocre vets for two 5-11 seasons. 

I agree.  We need to pay good players to stay instead of always bargain basement shopping.  That said, Gettleman thought he was  tying down a probowl level LT with Mat Kalil...instead he got swindled.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

As long as he doesn't turn out like Whitehead. The Kalil deal was Gettleman's biggest mistake, and that saying something because he made a ton of them. It's one thing to bust on 1st round picks, but it's another to sign a worthless player to a mega millions multi-year deal as if he was the best at his position.

I think we all know that if Darnold isn't the sleeper, then it won't matter at all whatsoever what Perryman (a JAG LB) does for our defense. Perryman will get eaten alive if Darnold turns out to be an interception machine. Darnold has to be a star for this team or 2021 is down the drain.

Edited by pantherj

35 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Can we list rookies?  I think its vets right?

The article and poster didn’t specify. I stand by Taylor as my sleeper pick. Nobody is expecting anything and he’s a Donte Jackson nick up away from playing. 

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

I agree.  We need to pay good players to stay instead of always bargain basement shopping.  That said, Gettleman thought he was  tying down a probowl level LT with Mat Kalil...instead he got swindled.

I think we finally have a Brain Trust we can actually trust. Draft well, and pay your stars. We have the draft well part down so far. Let's hope they are as proficient in the later, as they seem to be in the former.

The Moton deal will give us our first real glimpse into how they plan on treating their stars. Although, Moton is early in the process of figuring out who we are as a team. It is still an important step.

As to Gman. He fooled me at the start. But, the longer it went, the harder it became to hide that much stink.

• Pie 2