• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Starting OL Projection ...

Zod

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I have a feeling we're going to see a huge number of different starting combinations this season. That usually happens when you don't have a guaranteed set of bookend tackles. LT continues to be a massive need for this team ever since Jordan Gross retired.

Agreed. That's why I have stated numerous times that I don't expect to see a LT on the roster with more than 8 starts. I expect it will be "by platoon" and not for good reasons. 

I think at least one guard spot will be stable. Probably Miller.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Icege said:

Erving-Elflein-Paradis-Miller-Moton

Scott-Daley-Moore-Brown-Christensen as the back-ups

Will be interesting to see if folks will blame Darnold for having a below average OL like they did his predecessor. 👀

Typically every quarterback shoulders the burden if the offense fails that's the way it goes. Doesn't matter who thinks it's fair. Best of luck Sam!

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. That's why I have stated numerous times that I don't expect to see a LT on the roster with more than 8 starts. I expect it will be "by platoon" and not for good reasons. 

I think at least one guard spot will be stable. Probably Miller.

I don't even know about that. I think the only guaranteed starters are Moton and Paradis. Brown or Moore might challenge for playing time at RG. All I know is they've got a lot of guys fighting for a few positions so hopefully competition brings out some solid starters.

• Beer 2

Just now, hepcat said:

I don't even know about that. I think the only guaranteed starters are Moton and Paradis. Brown or Moore might challenge for playing time at RG. All I know is they've got a lot of guys fighting for a few positions so hopefully competition brings out some solid starters.

The thing that makes me so annoyed is that reportedly Slater(the guy I wanted in the 1st) is dominating against the Charger pass rushers in one on one's and 11 on 11's. I thought on draft night we would regret either not picking Slater or Fields and if either of them pans out, I still believe that. No disrespect to Horn at all and I think he will be very good for us, but QB's and LT's are extremely hard to find.

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

My projected starting OL: Erving, Daley, Paradis, Miller and Moton. 

I don’t think our future LT is on the roster yet. It appears Christensen is being groomed to take over one of the G spots at some point. 

Yeah, I think Elflein or Daley are the plan going into camp, but Christensen may just beat them out by week 1. Nothing really to support that yet, but he was drafted to vie for starting LT, so I have to think the talent/athleticism is there.

Having seen film on Scott, Elflein, and Erving, nothing about them screams franchise starter. Daley is a wild card, because we really haven't seen that much from him due to injuries (both his, and being forced out to LT because of other's injuries).

Edited by shaqattaq

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The thing that makes me so annoyed is that reportedly Slater(the guy I wanted in the 1st) is dominating against the Charger pass rushers in one on one's and 11 on 11's. I thought on draft night we would regret either not picking Slater or Fields and if either of them pans out, I still believe that. No disrespect to Horn at all and I think he will be very good for us, but QB's and LT's are extremely hard to find.

Agree 10x. Corner is not a position to pick in the top 10.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I have a feeling we're going to see a huge number of different starting combinations this season. That usually happens when you don't have a guaranteed set of bookend tackles. LT continues to be a massive need for this team ever since Jordan Gross retired.

I think we'll see a number of different starting combinations due to injury.

I suspect they'll nail down their starting 5 before TC ends. 

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Agree 10x. Corner is not a position to pick in the top 10.

In a pass happy league it absolutely is.

The NFL has gone the way of College Football. You drop bags for QB, DT, OT, CB and WR.

Everything else is secondary. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

I agree with you all about Daley. He's got the tools, just needs the #1 skill, availability. But with PRESUMED depth, do we really have to hinge our hopes on if he can stay healthy? I don't think so this year. I think there would be depth to be okay if/when he missed some time. All that to say - 

LT - Moton/Irving

LG - Daley

C - Paradis

RG - Moore/Elflein

RT - Christensen/Moton 

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

In a pass happy league it absolutely is.

The NFL has gone the way of College Football. You drop bags for QB, DT, OT, CB and WR.

Everything else is secondary. 

Not when your team has massive holes at LT and QB it's not worth the pick.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Not when your team has massive holes at LT and QB it's not worth the pick.

Look, Rhule is big into analytics. What he saw about last year was not that sacks or pressures ruined drives. What he saw was a young, talented defense who could not get off the field on 3rd down. So he picked the guy most likely to help end that trend. You can argue all day long about our OL, and I agree, I would've addressed it in the 2nd round, but picking Slater over Horn didn't make sense to Rhule from an analytics standpoint. I get that. We'll see if it pans out, like every other pick they made.

But saying CB isn't worthy of a top 10 pick? In today's NFL? Are you serious?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

If Horn helps us go 'three and out' on defense, we will have more offensive opportunities / plays / time on offense.  Platoon at LT may be enough with CMC and a strong ground game, and OL players who fit the wide zone run scheme.  

And then go get your franchise LT next offseason...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1