• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This seems oddly familiar

Zod

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I think they went with Darnold because it didn’t cost them a top 10 pick like Fields would have. Plus there was no guarantee Fields was going to fall to us before we traded for Darnold. Fields rookie contract would have been nice for our salary cap for the next 4 years though…

All true but I have to believe that getting a young QB with NFL experience blends competing while building better than a rookie QB draft pick would, immediately at least. 

I can't lie though, I thought there was a chance we'd still draft Fields.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Why would involving the smartest guy in the room be a "concern"...??

Because when it comes to football, David Tepper is actually the dumbest guy in the room.

Not only is he not more football savvy than Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer; he also ranks behind Dan Morgan, Pat Stewart, Matt Allen, Samir Suleiman, pretty much anyone else in the front office and also every member of the coaching staff.

Buying a football team does not make you a football genius any more than buying a computer makes you a programmer.

Tepper becoming a hands-on owner is the last thing the Panthers need.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

42 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because when it comes to football, David Tepper is actually the dumbest guy in the room.

Not only is he not more football savvy than Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer; he also ranks behind Dan Morgan, Pat Stewart, Matt Allen, Samir Suleiman, pretty much anyone else in the front office and also every member of the coaching staff.

Buying a football team does not make you a football genius any more than buying a computer makes you a programmer.

Tepper becoming a hands-on owner is the last thing the Panthers need.

This. 

I think people overestimate heavily how much insight and knowledge Tepper got as a minority owner of the Steelers. 

To what I have read, he was almost a clean sheet and hence why I think he proved himself being able to make the right decisions, by, hold on to something now, by keeping Hurney and not giving him the boot when taking over the franchise. 

Instead he sat by the first years gaining knowledge and figure out things before getting his people. Rhule and Fitterer. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Cam changed our franchise for almost a decade.? Check out all of those back to back winning seasons… You need a team around the QB as well, in which we failed Cam. First thing the Chargers did is try to beef up their line, because they know it starts there after you have your guy.

He did though. Do you forget the constant hand wringing about him being a sore loser when he first got here? What was the Panthers recent culture to that point other than the worst playoff meltdown in years followed by Jimmy Clausen? Now losing is no biggie again. But we were more relevant and actually competitive within the division more often than not. The one good season followed by a disappointing season formula was as much due to poor management as it was poor coaching and poor execution. As much flack as Hurney rightfully received Gettleman may have actually been worse from a full picture. Wasted first rounders letting talent walk out the door and then orchestrating the worst free agency signing in franchise history all in the midst of a closing window with a championship core still in place. Then Hurney came back and only exacerbated existing issues. Cam Newton finally breaking down physically was just the final straw but it all began with mismanagement. The blunders sunk us.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

In the loop? Yeah.

Giving input on personnel decisions? No. And that's per Rhule, Fitterer and others.

Some decisions that involve personnel  are also business decisions.   It it is a business first and foremost for Tepper. 

I think you are overplaying the current Panther PR that surrounds a green HC and green GM.   I'm sure they have been given some rope to get started.  But NFL teams have always been mom and pop shops.  Tepper will be in the mix.  That's just the way it is in the NFL.  Degrees vary.  But there is no such thing as an actual hands off owner IMO.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

Some decisions that involve personnel  are also business decisions.   It it is a business first and foremost for Tepper. 

I think you are overplaying the current Panther PR that surrounds a green HC and green GM.   I'm sure they have been given some rope to get started.  But NFL teams have always been mom and pop shops.  Tepper will be in the mix.  That's just the way it is in the NFL.  Degrees vary.  But there is no such thing as an actual hands off owner IMO.  

Guys who have been in the football business for decades taking advice from someone who's never done anything close to what they're doing?

Yeah, sure 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Poo 1