• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Training Camp - Wednesday Thread

Zod

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I've got a lot more hope for the defense than I do the offense this season. A bit of a switch from last year.

Defensive line looks to be a big upgrade over the last two seasons: Brian Burns, Haason Reddick, Derrick Brown, Da'Quan Jones, Morgan Fox, and Yetur Gross-Matos seem to be locks. That leave 3 - 4 spots to be decided amongst Bravvion Roy, Phil Hoskins, Daviyon Nixon, and Marquis Haynes. I think that Hoskins is the odd man out out of that grouping.

The secondary? Also improved! Jaycee Horn, Donte Jackson, AJ Abouye, and Troy Pride Jr are likely the top 4 CBs on the roster, and if we go into the season with 6 that means the final two spots will be between Myles Hartsfield (who has been getting increased looks as the back-up nickel), Keith Taylor, Stantley Thomas-Oliver III (I don't see Melvin nor Julius making the team). STO3 could be destined for the practice squad out of those remaining. Jeremy Chinn is going to be one of the starting safeties, so pick 3 from Juston Burris, Sam Franklin, Kenny Robinson, and Sean Chandler. If I had to guess, Robinson would be PS bound yet again as Chandler is a ST guy and the team seems high on Franklin & Burris. There's also Delano Hill if his COVID bout doesn't hamper his chances.

There are still question marks at LB due to depth, but Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter Jr, and Denzel Perryman are the clear favourites. Julian Stanford is another ST likely to make the roster within his position group, so that means possibly two spots go to Frankie Luvu & Christian Miller. It's hard for me to see the two recently added LBs (Celestin & Hall) or the other two LBs (Johnston & Fisher) making the main roster.

We were so bad LY against the run and getting pressure

if we can do better at both we will be improved

and I like our offense to improve much more at this point

Also today...

Rod Smith was the name of the first guy we took in the 95 expansion draft.

Pretty sure this isn't him 😕

Apparently he's a runningback  Seattle picked up undrafted in 2015 who's bounced around to a couple of different teams.

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

I don't know about that. He's always been a nice run stopper, but his coverage skills are suspect.

Perryman was a 2 time first team All-ACC player. I don't think you quite appreciate how difficult it is for a Hurricane to win those honours in a conference run by the Tobacco Road Mafia.

Injuries aside he's light years better than Carter. He's not the long term answer, but he's a massive upgrade from Carter and Whitehead. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Perryman was a 2 time first team All-ACC player. I don't think you quite appreciate how difficult it is for a Hurricane to win those honours in a conference run by the Tobacco Road Mafia.

Injuries aside he's light years better than Carter. He's not the long term answer, but he's a massive upgrade from Carter and Whitehead. 

College accolades mean nothing in the NFL. Plenty of great college players don't translate.