• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Gross-Matos

Tommy Jone

The Carolina Panthers are utilizing Fox as the starting right defensive end opposite Brian Burns, with DaQuan Jones and Derrick Brown on the interior. This quartet has made their presence felt in no uncertain terms during camp so far and hopefully, it’s a trend that can continue when competitive action begins.

https://catcrave.com/2021/08/10/5-pleasant-surprises-carolina-panthers-training-camp-far/6/

Sounds like Yetur has not yet secured a starting role in TC, per Cat Crave.  This is disappointing in the fact that he was thought to be skilled on running downs, which should have at least secured him a 2 down role. 

With Fox's size, I cannot imagine he offers much in the way of pass rush from the 4-3 DE position.  He is apparently much better suited to play 3 tech DT or 3-4 DE.  Yetur apparently has some upside in the pass rush area, but it's not yet been realized.

I have heard nothing on him in training camp coverage.

Edited by Tommy Jone

A few weeks ago I heard pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on sirius nfl radio rank top pass rushes in the nfl and they surprisingly ranked the panthers at 2 & 3.  They seemed quite high on ygm.  

They even said they didn't expect the panthers to be as high as they ended up but their film study led them to like the young defensive talent.

Hope they are right.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, w280sax said:

A few weeks ago I heard pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on sirius nfl radio rank top pass rushes in the nfl and they surprisingly ranked the panthers at 2 & 3.  They seemed quite high on ygm.  

They even said they didn't expect the panthers to be as high as they ended up but their film study led them to like the young defensive talent.

Hope they are right.

Yeah hopefully, but having both Burns and Reddick will get you in the conversation for best pass rush.

12 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

I said in another thread, don't be surprised if Fox starts ahead of YGM. Fox played on a stud DL and learned a few things. He's got skills. He's like a better version of Obada.

Sometimes the Vet is just better. Doesn't mean he'll stay there.

Vets make fewer mistakes. Maybe that is why he is starting? Doesn't really matter who starts. We rotate quite a bit. One of the things you have to like about this staff. If you perform, you  play.

• Pie 4

9 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

If you recall I think it took Charles Johnson about 3 years to come into his own.  I think being upset at this point might be premature unless he is not used consistently in the rotation.  Based on what he showed last year he will be on the field plenty.

Yeah, I'm not going to worry until he drops out of the rotation entirely.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Tommy Jone said:

Maybe Fox is the new Tyler Brayton...

Him and Peppers were a pretty solid duo in 2008.  I really thought we had a chance to make it back to the SB that year before Delhomme had his meltdown against Warner and the Cardinals

• Beer 2