• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday joint practice news and tweets

Captain Morgan

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Signing Erving and Elflein so early in FA to decent contracts was baffling to me. Those were the types of guys I expected to go for cheap after the primary wave of premium free agency was over. I was hoping we'd targeted them because we'd seen something specific they had. But, it seems like we're pretty much just flailing at OL and that's disappointing.

I mean, obviously those were objectively bad signings. The truth is, it is abhigh probability they will look as bad in hindsight as they did at the time.

But, on the "positive" side, I think the OL will be bad enough this year that perhaps it will break our coaching staff of the current "college" mindset that they have when it comes to OL.

I do think it eventually turns around. It will just take them learning some hard lessons.

This is a very underappreciated aspect of our coaching staff, how they are still very "young" and learning too.

That is why I laugh so much at the sunshiners with their perpetual delusion. The owner basically told us this was a process. I hated it initially but I am all in now. We have to figure it out and just plain get better. My guess is, enough of our team will be better in 2021 to show there is hope. QB/OL/LB may not be successful, but I think most of the rest of the units will show enough improvements to give us what we desire. That being, a path forward.

Edited by kungfoodude

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m not really sure what you guys are expecting. We are the youngest team in the league and are in year 2 of Matt Rhule draft and FA after clearing out basically the entire roster. This is gonna take a couple years to see if it’s gonna work with this staff. The goal should be to be better than last year by the end of the season and remain competitive. 

qb and oline are the biggest issues going forward. The organization decided to go this direction with Sam and prioritizing other position groups but I’ll give them 2 more years after this one and if they can’t find a franchise qb and an oline to protect that person then they need to be replaced. It’s that simple. No need to freak out.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, saX man said:

Maybe one of our new backup QBs was on the Colts side today.  I wouldn't be opposed but considering how shaky the Wentz situation is, they may carry 3.

So who did well? Colin Thompson's name keeps popping up.  Rodney Smith, CJ Saunders.  Thompson is probably kicking Ian Thomas off the squad (well I guess he really didn't need to).  Line wise, Moton and Trent Scott have looked good and the rest have been meh and below. 

The bad: Shaq, Little, Erving, Elflein, Brady C

Erving and Elflein are looking how, well, how they've always looked.  Still very odd signings considering how early we signed them and the marketplace. 

Shaq was beat once, but had at least one PBU, and BC was pretty good if I'm to believe the tweets in this thread.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, obviously those were objectively bad signings. The truth is, it is abhigh probability they will look as bad in hindsight as they did at the time.

But, on the "positive" side, I think the OL will be bad enough this year that perhaps it will break our coaching staff of the current "college" mindset that they have when it comes to OL.

I do think it eventually turns around. It will just take them learning some hard lessons.

This is a very underappreciated aspect of our coaching staff, how they are still very "young" and learning too.

That is why I laugh so much at the sunshiners with their perpetual delusion. The owner basically told us this was a process. I hated it initially but I am all in now. We have to figure it out and just plain get better. My guess is, enough of our team will be better in 2021 to show there is hope. QB/OL/LB may not be successful, but I think most of the rest of the units will show enough improvements to give us what we desire. That being, a path forward.

I just want a decent enough OL to give Darnold a chance. We gotta figure out if he can be the guy or not. If not, we gotta find the guy. I don't want us going into next off-season thinking "well maybe he can be the guy if we fix the OL". Fug that. Be the guy or get outta the way.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just want a decent enough OL to give Darnold a chance. We gotta figure out if he can be the guy or not. If not, we gotta find the guy. I don't want us going into next off-season thinking "well maybe he can be the guy if we fix the OL". Fug that. Be the guy or get outta the way.

It won't be any different than the Jets other than a bunch of great offensive weapons. The truth is, even though we aren't exactly setting him up for success, he needs to show he can better markedly better than he was in NY. Not just a smidgen but noticeably. 

That has been what it was likely to be all offseason. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd feel better if we had some semblance of a lineup in place. These guys need to have as much time as possible to gel. That we still seem to be in the midst of figuring out who's gonna be playing and where is concerning.

Sounds like they're still trying people out.

They've seen what they look like against our DL - now they want tape of them against another DL. 

Rhule has too much success behind him and is too invested in analytics to just be throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Hopefully Rhule picked up some practice/coaching tips today since he hasn't been around a legit NFL staff in almost 10 years. Sounds like the team overall was underprepared and that should be on the Coaching staff. This is with their backup QB's

Underprepared is a bit harsh. That is just plain a better team than we are. The secondary getting beat like that is mildly disappointing but I wouldn't get worried about that yet.

If we are looking at shades of 2020 halfway through the season, I would be concerned.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Sounds like they're still trying people out.

They've seen what they look like against our DL - now they want tape of them against another DL. 

Rhule has too much success behind him and is too invested in analytics to just be throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks. 

In fairness, when you have an underwhelming unit, throwing poo against the wall to see if it sticks isn't an invalid strategy. 

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Hopefully Rhule picked up some practice/coaching tips today since he hasn't been around a legit NFL staff in almost 10 years. Sounds like the team overall was underprepared and that should be on the Coaching staff. This is with their backup QB's

Nope

got to remember out LB are not good

a lot will also change in real games when running game is in full force on both sides