• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance

NAS

53 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He looked like a guy who hasn't played in years. It's good they don't plant to start him. He has the tools buy needs time.

https://youtu.be/sW3uhFenWlY

I didn’t watch the game but I did just watch this link.

Trey did not look good. He looked middle of the road. Doesn’t mean he will won’t hit his ceiling though. 

things he will hear from coaches today:

1. step up in the pocket when you feel that outside pressure rather than start to scramble backwards 

2. throw it away

3. get off your first read 

@top dawgi know you are defending the guy pretty hard, but he was the reason for 3 out of the 4 sacks, and there was only 3 dropped balls you could blame on the receiver, and honestly the first one would never have gotten to the receiver against a starting defense. That was a duck and thrown laterally- which you never do as a quarterback. Trey looked timid and rarely confident, and I was worried about his throwing form before the draft and still am after watching that. Kinda looks like a young Colin Kaepernick 

Edited by TheCasillas

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all.  I want him to play out of his mind.  But from everything we've seen, heard, and know from his previous playing experience, I just don't believe it's possible.  I will believe if he can make me believe in him as a player.

Think of Jake...  when we signed him, did anyone think he would become the QB and leader he became?  No.  He proved those things over time...  difference is, he didn't have all of the bad tape on him that Darnold has coming in, which is where the doubt of him originates from.  So, yes, he COULD play like an all-pro for us and change people's minds, but it will be quite the road he has ahead of him if he does so.

This. You have to ignore a lot of stuff to put a ton of faith in Darnold. Rhule sold Darnold to the fanbase by saying he's "basically a rookie". In other words, just ignore all that terribleness that happened in NY. We're going to build this guy from the ground up like a rookie. But, that's not how we're actually handling it. Look at all these snaps true rookies are getting in week one of the preseason. Meanwhile, our "basically a rookie" QB is getting the established vet treatment and sitting it out.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Trey did not look good. He looked middle of the road. Doesn’t mean he will won’t hit his ceiling though. 

1. step up in the pocket when you feel that outside pressure rather than start to scramble backwards 

2. throw it away

@top dawgi know you are defending the guy pretty hard, but he was the reason for 3 out of the 4 sacks, and there was only 3 dropped balls you could blame on the receiver, and honestly the first one would never have gotten to the receiver against a starting defense. That was a duck and thrown laterally- which you never do as a quarterback. Trey looked timid and rarely confident, and I was worried about his throwing form before the draft and still am after watching that. Kinda looks like a young Colin Kaepernick 

I'm not at all piling on Lance but he does have sn awkward motion. That doesn't mean anything but it was noticeable with nfl film angles compared to NDSU 

Just now, TheCasillas said:

2. throw it away

@top dawgi know you are defending the guy pretty hard, but he was the reason for 3 out of the 4 sacks, and there was only 3 dropped balls you could blame on the receiver, and honestly the first one would never have gotten to the receiver against a starting defense. That was a duck and thrown laterally- which you never do as a quarterback. Trey looked for timid and confident, and I was worried about his throwing form before the draft and still am after watching that. Kinda looks like a young Colin Kaepernick 

3 out of the 4 sacks is laughable man. Maybe 1 out of 4.

Your opinion is noted and actually appreciated. I think he looks like a rookie with promise who is noticeably ahead of where he was when he was drafted. Let's not forget that he virtually hasn't played since 2019, and is still relatively new at the position. I'm just trying to be objective. I always said that he'd need time to develop, and he does, but I also said that in my opinion Lance is worth developing. Shanahan and company obviously agreed. Rhule and company apparently did not 

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. You have to ignore a lot of stuff to put a ton of faith in Darnold. Rhule sold Darnold to the fanbase by saying he's "basically a rookie". In other words, just ignore all that terribleness that happened in NY. We're going to build this guy from the ground up like a rookie. But, that's not how we're actually handling it. Look at all these snaps true rookies are getting in week one of the preseason. Meanwhile, our "basically a rookie" QB is getting the established vet treatment and sitting it out.

Yup, agree completely.  I was just thinking the same thing after seeing all these rookies playing significant time and after seeing the best coach in football play his starters and his rookie QB in game one, yet Rhule said Sam isn't playing three days before our first preseason game?

Again, you can only put so much weight in preseason and TC stuff, but I do think there is something there.  New guy, in a new offense that you're trying to sell to the fanbase, and, as you pointed out, you're trying to sell us his youth and how he is basically a rookie too, and you aren't gonna give him ANY snaps in the first preseason game?  Like you said, they're asking us to erase everything we've seen from our minds, like his years in NY never happened...  But, they did.  And the only way to forget all of that is by him playing well and removing all doubt.  So, why wouldn't you play him unless you felt he wasn't ready to do that?  And forget the fans...  as a coach, I want to see how my new QB looks under the lights against another team when the pressure is on.  So, I just don't understand that decision.

It's not encouraging at all.  Even if you aren't trying to glean too much from this stuff, it's still telling.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

3 out of the 4 sacks is laughable man. Maybe 1 out of 4.

Your opinion is noted and actually appreciated. I think he looks like a rookie with promise who is noticeably ahead of where he was when he was drafted. Let's not forget that he virtually hasn't played since 2019, and is still relatively new at the position. I'm just trying to be objective. I always said that he'd need time to develop, and he does, but I also said that in my opinion Lance is worth developing. Shanahan and company obviously agreed. Rhule and company apparently did not 

No one is discounting capabilities. We are judging last nights performance. He had a lot to learn and grow into still. I don’t see him making an impact this year.

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yup, agree completely.  I was just thinking the same thing after seeing all these rookies playing significant time and after seeing the best coach in football play his starters and his rookie QB in game one, yet Rhule said Sam isn't playing three days before our first preseason game?

Again, you can only put so much weight in preseason and TC stuff, but I do think there is something there.  New guy, in a new offense that you're trying to sell to the fanbase, and, as you pointed out, you're trying to sell us his youth and how he is basically a rookie too, and you aren't gonna give him ANY snaps in the first preseason game?  Like you said, they're asking us to erase everything we've seen from our minds, like his years in NY never happened...  But, they did.  And the only way to forget all of that is by him playing well and removing all doubt.  So, why wouldn't you play him unless you felt he wasn't ready to so that?  And forget the fans...  as a coach, I want to see how my new QB looks under the lights against another team when the pressure is on.  So, I just don't understand that decision.

It's not encouraging at all.  Even if you aren't trying to glean too much from this stuff, it's still telling.

I don't know what to make of it. Time will tell. All I can definitely make of it is that we are not handling Darnold as if he is "basically a rookie".

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

With a rookie you get 4 cheap years, we only get 1.

The pro-Sam guys like to point out that maybe the coaches feel like he has the same chance as these rookies to actually be good, but with the rookies the reward is higher if they turn out good because of the cheap future years.  You have to include that in your risk reward analysis.  

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

With a rookie you get 4 cheap years, we only get 1.

The pro-Sam guys like to point out that maybe the coaches feel like he has the same chance as these rookies to actually be good, but with the rookies the reward is higher if they turn out good because of the cheap future years.  You have to include that in your risk reward analysis.  

Everything Rhule and company say speaks to a "five year rebuild process". I see that approach happening on D. But everything we're doing on offense says we're primarily looking for quick fixes. 

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Everything Rhule and company say speaks to a "five year rebuild process". I see that approach happening on D. But everything we're doing on offense says we're primarily looking for quick fixes. 

Totally agree.  Even Brown as the first pick last year.  Quickest improvement for defense.  Hope Teddy can make the offense good.  Win quickly.

Slow fix would have been drafting an OT last year, Wills, Becton or Wirfs, starting Grier during the season, then drafting a QB this year. At worst Fields or good chance we are drafting nigher and in play for QB1-3.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It was an awesome play, but the boxscore shows him going 5/14 overall? Might be a tad early to crown him just yet. That's a 36% completion rate.

If they give him credit for completing three drops its still just a 57% completion percent. But then you would have to give credit to every QB this week who had a WR drop passes.