• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it time for Sly to Fly?

Kick

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

Rate is rate. Butkers XP conversion rate was worse. There were articles written about his issues with extra points.

Cool man you keep your kicker with better 1 point attempts and I'll keep the one with much more success at 3 points.  Deal?

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Context is everything.  Butker had 54 PATs attempts to Slye's 32.  So yes, it's stands to reason he very well could have more PAT misses given the much greater number of attempts.  The make rate?  Slye was slightly better by 2.8%.  However, on FGs, the ones that count 3 points,  Butker was 12% better on just 9 fewer attempts.

Lastly, I have seen some KC games and while Butker does miss some, he doesn't struggle with ball control like Slye does.

Butker is definitely better than Slye, and Hurney screwed up.  I was pissed when we spent a pick on Butker only to let KC have him and keep the older, more expensive Gano. 

But we should probably caveat Slye's overall fg numbers from last year.  I mean two of his misses would have been at or near the NFL record, 63 and 67 yards respectively I believe.  When you require your kicker to set a new NFL record in order to win or tie a game, well the odds aren't going to be in your favor no matter who your kicker is.  

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Butker is definitely better than Slye, and Hurney screwed up.  I was pissed when we spent a pick on Butker only to let KC have him and keep the older, more expensive Gano. 

But we should probably caveat Slye's overall fg numbers from last year.  I mean two of his misses would have been at or near the NFL record, 63 and 67 yards respectively I believe.  When you require your kicker to set a new NFL record in order to win or tie a game, well the odds aren't going to be in your favor no matter who your kicker is.  

I get the 60+ yard misses, that's not my issue.  I'm talking about his utter lack of ball control once he gets rattled.  Am I the only that notices this?????

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, top dawg said:

Slye doesn't instill confidence in the slightest. No way the team should go into the season like that. Based on last year's stats, alone, he should've been jettisoned.

80.6% at FGs, ranked 23rd 

91.7% at XPs, ranked 20th

We can do better than Slye.

I’d say he’s about average overall. Those FG numbers are lower than they should be because he attempted a lot of longer FGs that most kickers aren’t expected to make consistently. We definitely need to upgrade there if we’re going to seriously contend, but I don’t think we need to jettison him just for the sake of jettisoning him right now when there really aren’t any better options available. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Last year, Slye was 24th in FG accuracy and tied for 22nd in XP accuracy.

For a big legged kicker, he only made one 50+ yard attempt despite 6 tries. He had the lowest 50+ yard FG accuracy in the NFL.

I was really surprised that we didn't bring in legit competition for him during camp.

We aint gonna need no kicker when we got Darnold to Arnold and Darnold dropping 97 yd bombs to dj and robby on back 2 back plays with cmc busting 500 yds rushing per game

13 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

He missed one extra point.  And a 60 plus yard fg.  He isn't getting cut over that.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we had someone better, but Slye is safe for now.

He’s still gonna miss 1/3 kicks guaranteed. He was lucky as fug the refs fugged that call up when it touched the top of the upright. But he was two so it still evens out to 1/3. You can’t have that as an NFL kicker. I like the guy too. But he’s the teddy of kickers. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I haven’t seen him kick a game winning FG yet

Ding-ding-ding!!!!!  Winner-winner, chicken dinner!  Slye has the physical tools, but not the MENTAL game.

People are still giving Darnold sh!t for the "ghosts" game.  Sam literally was psyched out by the Patriots defense; they had gotten into his head.  The opponent is not Slye's enemy however, it's himself.  Dude can't shake off the funk after a bad kick, he's done.  Our best hope for him is he doesn't have a bad kick early in a game, if so, we might as well just go for it on 4th down...we will have a better chance of converting.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, t96 said:

I’d say he’s about average overall. Those FG numbers are lower than they should be because he attempted a lot of longer FGs that most kickers aren’t expected to make consistently. We definitely need to upgrade there if we’re going to seriously contend, but I don’t think we need to jettison him just for the sake of jettisoning him right now when there really aren’t any better options available. 

I don't think we should kick him to the curb without a backup plan. But, it's the same thing with the backup QB: the best options are available in March and April. IMO, we should've been looking to upgrade during the first part of the offseason. Even if Slye is mediocre (which I think he's a little below that, but that's really not worth arguing), the days of the team and us fans willingly accepting mediocrity should be over.  I could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing that out of all the kickers in the land that are available, none are better than Joey Slye.

Cuts are the next obvious window that may offer an upgrade. 

Edited by top dawg

55 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Ding-ding-ding!!!!!  Winner-winner, chicken dinner!  Slye has the physical tools, but not the MENTAL game.

People are still giving Darnold sh!t for the "ghosts" game.  Sam literally was psyched out by the Patriots defense; they had gotten into his head.  The opponent is not Slye's enemy however, it's himself.  Dude can't shake off the funk after a bad kick, he's done.  Our best hope for him is he doesn't have a bad kick early in a game, if so, we might as well just go for it on 4th down...we will have a better chance of converting.

I counted it starting early mid season last year. He is going to miss 1 out of every three kicks. Statistically. Doesn’t matter 10 yard field goal, XP or 60 yarder. It’s gonna happen. Also anywhere on the left side is his doom. Complete opposite of Gano who could probably make a 70 yarder from the left hash. Slye pulls them way way to hard. 

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think we should kick him to the curb without a backup plan. But, it's the same thing with the backup QB: the best options are available in March and April. IMO, we should've been looking to upgrade during the first part of the offseason. Even if Slye is mediocre (which I think he's a little below that, but that's really not worth arguing), the days of the team and us fans willingly accepting mediocrity should be over.  I could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing that out of all the kickers in the land that are available, none are better than Joey Slye.

Cuts are the next obvious window that may offer an upgrade. 

If Rhule cuts him, and I like Slye as a person but Rhule will gain major major points.