• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers - Baltimore Ravens Joint Practice 2

Zod

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

A lot of you are accusing the coaching staff of coddling Darnold.

New Team:  Darnold has a new team this year.

Offensive Line:  The Left side of the OL is under construction. OLs take time to gel--think of the OL like your hand--no, the other one--and imagine if you got 2 new fingers.  Oh, and your job was sign language.  See my point?

Depth at QB:  We dont have a competition at QB in camp.  No need to put up huge numbers in camp.  No need to dazzle fans in August.  If Darnold goes down, we all go with him.  Instead of risking injury or damage to his confidence playing behind a three-fingered OL to pass to wounded warrior WRs, why chance it?  What do you want to see in August?

Why go down when the team doesn't have to? No, you pass the rock to PJ and keep going.

Burns having a shoulder wrap is a stunning reminder of the razor thin margin this team operates on in terms of health and depth.

Not only do we not have NFL starters at every position, especially on the offensive line, the depth at most positions is still pretty perilous.

If everything goes right, we could sneak into a wildcard birth. If it goes wrong, we're going to end up looking a lot worse than our talent may indicate at times. I think next year, is the year we have a real shot to be good.

Feels like watching Louisville football the last 2 years. You know you can have a decent team, but injuries and a little luck can determine if you can play above your head, or end up in the gutter.

• Pie 3

Every NFL team operates at a razor thin margin. There are no Alabamas or Clemsons or Ohio States in the NFL where your third stringers are every bit as good as the opposition's starters. Every team has key players they're gonna miss bad if they go down and every team has position groups that are thin and/or weak. That's just the way it is in a hard salary cap league. There's no going out and stocking the cupboard with nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits like the top programs do in college.

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every NFL team operates at a razor thin margin. There are no Alabamas or Clemsons or Ohio States in the NFL where your third stringers are every bit as good as the opposition's starters. Every team has key players they're gonna miss bad if they go down and every team has position groups that are thin and/or weak. That's just the way it is in a hard salary cap league. There's no going out and stocking the cupboard with nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits like the top programs do in college.

I REALLY REALLY wish that with the 17 game season the NFL had increased roster size and/or practice squad size.

Would love to see something like a protected reserve status of at least 5 guys that could be put on practice squad, but permanently protected for the season, allowing for keeping young guys who are very talented, but still raw.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, Udogg said:

They are trying to set him up for success early. Lets be honest.. he is teetering on the edge of being a bust.  So if he comes to Carolina where he has none of the excuses he had with the Jets..(better organization, better weapons, arguably better coach, offensive coordinator, weather..etc..) and he sh$%ts the bed, then he is probably never gonna recover.  But if he starts of decent to good (Hoping for great), then all the talent etc.. may just shine and we are set.  Why would Rhule take the chance of fugging him up early?

It is important to set him up for success, but I could see the opposite happening if he feels his coach doesn't fully trust him. I don't know about Sam's interpretation of Rhule's remarks, but for me, it sounds like Sam's on a short leash as they're trying to get SOMETHING out of him with the expectation that he's already busted. Rhule's past remarks also seem to point to them expecting Sam to be nothing more than a game manager, which in this day and age won't lead to much success. Being labeled as one could also be harmful in its own right if Sam doesn't see himself that way. Hope my attempt at sport psychology makes sense. 

1 minute ago, KB_fan said:

I REALLY REALLY wish that with the 17 game season the NFL had increased roster size and/or practice squad size.

Would love to see something like a protected reserve status of at least 5 guys that could be put on practice squad, but permanently protected for the season, allowing for keeping young guys who are very talented, but still raw.

That would cost the owners money. The only thing billionaire owners want more than wins is more money in the bank.

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't say razor thin. The contenders can typically cover up losses with the amount of talent they have overall. The Panthers don't have the talent level to cover up losses like Contenders do. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That would cost the owners money. The only thing billionaire owners want more than wins is more money in the bank.

Yes, true about increased roster size, so I'm not holding my breath. But a protected reserve status wouldn't cost anything and would give teams more roster flexibility.