• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN position group rankings

Peon Awesome

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32015903/ranking-every-nfl-team-position-group-1-32-2021-season-top-qb-wr-cb-units-more

Have to be an espn insider to read but I'll hit the salient points. They ranked teams 1-32 by each position group factoring in all players, not just starters. 

Panthers rankings:

QB - 31 (Houston 32)

RB - 3 (Browns and Vikings are top 2)

WR - 11

TE - 30 (Jax, Arizona bottom 2)

OL - 31 (Pitt 32)

IDL - 21

Edge - 14

Off-ball LB - 15

CB - 20

Safety - 28

Overall - 30 (Jets, Houston bottom 2)

My take - I think it's pretty fair for the most part. They seem to have little faith that Darnold will escape the stink of his Jets tenure but our subpar backup qbs don't help the ranking either. OL and TE are appropriately low. Linebackers seem to be rated a bit generously; I wonder if many of them still consider Chinn a LB; otherwise they must like Shaq more than the average huddler. Compared to the NFL.com ranking that had our receivers 18th, 11th seems much fairer especially when you consider the teams ahead of us. 

Even though we're currently 30th overall, feels like our talent level is better than that. But maybe that's my homerism. If we stay competitive in the playoff race, that has to be a testament to Rhule and the coaching staff.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

I think IDL is a little low.  Edge is very low; I feel we have elite starters and solid depth.  The secondary is hard to say.  Starters might be good, might not and depth looks good in camp and preseason...but that's camp and preseason.  Looks like Overall isn't an average of all these position groups, so that's way too low.  I think that should be around 20.

• Pie 2

DL in total feels a bit low.  Chinn must be ranked as a LB and not a Safety here or he'd bring Safety up more I think and LB lower.

Everything else feels fair/right. Receiver is very generous... But maybe it is right with our offseason additions.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32015903/ranking-every-nfl-team-position-group-1-32-2021-season-top-qb-wr-cb-units-more

Have to be an espn insider to read but I'll hit the salient points. They ranked teams 1-32 by each position group factoring in all players, not just starters. 

Panthers rankings:

QB - 31 (Houston 32)

RB - 3 (Browns and Vikings are top 2)

WR - 11

TE - 30 (Jax, Arizona bottom 2)

OL - 31 (Pitt 32)

IDL - 21

Edge - 14

Off-ball LB - 15

CB - 20

Safety - 28

Overall - 30 (Jets, Houston bottom 2)

My take - I think it's pretty fair for the most part. They seem to have little faith that Darnold will escape the stink of his Jets tenure but our subpar backup qbs don't help the ranking either. OL and TE are appropriately low. Linebackers seem to be rated a bit generously; I wonder if many of them still consider Chinn a LB; otherwise they must like Shaq more than the average huddler. Compared to the NFL.com ranking that had our receivers 18th, 11th seems much fairer especially when you consider the teams ahead of us. 

Even though we're currently 30th overall, feels like our talent level is better than that. But maybe that's my homerism. If we stay competitive in the playoff race, that has to be a testament to Rhule and the coaching staff.

60 funny cringeworthy school pictures

• Beer 1

Yeah that reeks of "small market team, gotta rank 'em somewhere and somebody's gotta make up the numbers" rating there.

We're better than 30 overall on talent, but I'll just let our players do their talking on the field rather than pointlessly debating it.

• Pie 4

What world is Jalen Hurts, Daniel Jones, and Drew Lock better than Darnold outright?

Side bar heard a interesting theory...passed on Fields so to focus on the entire roster so after 2022..make it appealing to a one Aaron Rodgers...Bucs  won a SB that way as did Denver...

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 1