• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After final cuts, how many guys and at what positions do we get from waivers?

45catfan

I think we need to hit up the waivers for a K, FB, DE, LB and swing tackle. Slye is done and we don't have a legit FB on the roster.  I am uncomfortable with the depth at DE, LB and OT.  Theses 5 positions I would target after final cuts IF there's an upgrade available.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I think we need to hit up the waivers for a K, FB, DE, LB and swing tackle. Slye is done and we don't have a legit FB on the roster.  I am uncomfortable with the depth at DE, LB and OT.  Theses 5 positions I would target after final cuts IF there's an upgrade available.

I think we can use Tommy as a lead blocker when needed, I think they purposefully have left him out of that roll in PS. 

Keep - Arnold, Tremble, Thomas and Sullivan. 

Since we are in the spread more often than not it would make sense to use Tremble's versatility IMO, I think I recall him pancaking someone Saturday as well. 

• Pie 1

Also to add, what we need is more SPEED at OFFBALL LB'er

We need some younger / athletic depth -- Bynes is slow as hell out there, and misses tackles left and right it feels like, I was not impressed vs IND, and don't even recall him vs BAL.

Denzell is coming off injury, but ran a 4.78 coming out of the ''U'', he can paly down hill and strike, but his long speed is lacking. 

That just leaves us with Shaq / Carter Jr. - LB'er is EXTERMELY thin at the moment, and former Baylor LB'er Johnston ain't the answer either. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Also to add, what we need is more SPEED at OFFBALL LB'er

We need some younger / athletic depth -- Bynes is slow as hell out there, and misses tackles left and right it feels like, I was not impressed vs IND, and don't even recall him vs BAL.

Denzell is coming off injury, but ran a 4.78 coming out of the ''U'', he can paly down hill and strike, but his long speed is lacking. 

That just leaves us with Shaq / Carter Jr. - LB'er is EXTERMELY thin at the moment, and former Baylor LB'er Johnston ain't the answer either. 

Luvu has been making plays. Looks to be solid depth. Not sure about how his speed holds up in coverage, but he plays fast downhill. I'm not arguing, just didn't want to forget someone who's having a great preseason. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

K has to be priority one. But I feel like some talent will become available. At this point, I don't think we need a booming leg, we just need someone who's automatic at 40 yards or less. I'd settle for someone who won't win us games but won't lose us any.

And speaking of booming legs, I have to say I'm really happy with Charlton.

MLB depth. After watching Johnston get gassed in the 3rd quarter, I'm really not comfortable with us even having a reliable 3rd string MLB.

And of course OL depth. But is seems like we're far from alone in that. There might be a bidding war for some teams' table scraps.

• Pie 1

I don't think Haynes or Miller are true DEs.  Both are undersized and are pure edge rushers.  They are essentially the same guy and one-trick ponies.  I would like to see one more traditional 4-3 DE added for depth.  The depth at LB is questionable beyond Luvu, the #4 guy.   I know Tremble likes to hit, but liking contact is not the only quality of a good FB.  I'd prefer a guy that has done it routinely and understands how to lead block while being able to execute.  Swing tackle and kicker are no-brainers.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Poo 1

Just now, CRA said:

if we bring in a K I would like them to go  young.  We aren't a playoff team so I would like to start searching for a long term prospect and not rent some old vet who will just have us searching again. 

I feel like that’s why they kept(keep) Slye around. Honestly, I put half his issue on the coaches this year for not bringing in competition in camp. The alternative is to bring an a older guy this year and draft young next year. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

if we bring in a K I would like them to go  young.  We aren't a playoff team so I would like to start searching for a long term prospect and not rent some old vet who will just have us searching again. 

'Relatively' young; most kickers retire themselves because of under-performing, not age.  Effective kickers  play well into their 40's.  I wouldn't want a rookie either.  We already have a guy that can't handle pressure.

Just now, Harbingers said:

I feel like that’s why they kept(keep) Slye around. Honestly, I put half his issue on the coaches this year for not bringing in competition in camp. The alternative is to bring an a older guy this year and draft young next year. 

I'm sure some young K will be cut.   I'd rather just bring in a young kid with potential and try them out.  It could potentially solve our problem.  An old vet is just a bandaid.  An we can afford to try a guy out given winning now isn't our primary objective. 

Just look at our P.  We picked that kid up off the street.  He has been great. 

• Pie 2