• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like Stafford not wanting to come to Carolina is the reason he wasn't traded to the Panthers.

jayboogieman

I dont really blame him at all neccesarily but it also seems like Darnold is at least average then there is a pretty solid chance we are a potential playoff team so I'm not sure what that says about Stafford's mindset.   Maybe he just looked at our offensive line, then it definitely makes sense.  

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

Yeah, and if the Rams do not win it all in the next year or 2 they are going to be a hot mess.  They don't have a first round pick for like the next 10 years and they have a lot of vets on big contracts.  Its now or never for them.  Their window is firmly open for the next couple of years, but after that things could get rough for them. 

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

We'll see. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Rams don't win a SB this year and then by 2022 we are consistently better than them (depending a bit on our QB situation). A lot of the moves they've made over the years have been recipe for disaster down the line if they don't win a SB very damn soon.

Stafford has played for a long time now(13 pro seasons) and made a lot of money doing so. He is probably looking short term at this point and might not want to play beyond his current contract. Going to a team that is ready to win it now or in the next year or two makes a lot more sense for him than going to a team that is rebuilding like the Panthers. Don't take his decision personally. It's not like he insulted you.

• Beer 1

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Stafford has played for a long time now(13 pro seasons) and made a lot of money doing so. He is probably looking short term at this point and might not want to play beyond his current contract. Going to a team that is ready to win it now or in the next year or two makes a lot more sense for him than going to a team that is rebuilding like the Panthers. Don't take his decision personally. It's not like he insulted you.

I'm not taking it personally.  I don't really concern myself much with most players that are not on our team.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

This seems like the most logical reason to me for him not wanting to come here.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Yep. I know there are a lot of people here thinking the Panthers could get into the playoffs this season, but I think it'll be at least another season before that happens, probably two seasons. The Oline and QB are still question marks. So is kicker. Honestly the Oline worries me more than the QB does. Beyond that the defense has holes still and depth in general is a concern.

Yeah, he took a beating at times while he was in Detroit so I don't think I would want to step in here behind this OL either. Not to mention, the Rams have championship pedigree and a track record of recent success. We can't offer up 4 straight winning seasons, three playoff appearances, two division titles, and a Super Bowl berth in our last four years. That's a pretty easy decision for me if I am Matt Stafford. 

That's why when people talk about a guy like Rodgers or Rivers wanting to come here, I just chuckle. I get the fantasy but this isn't the 2015/2016/2017 Panthers. All our luster is gone, however much it was in the first place. We just have to grind each season and offseason to build back up to being a team that a veteran QB wants to come to. Maybe in 5, 6, 7 years we can be the win now destination for someone like Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, etc. Someone in a similar position career wise as those guys are now.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, he took a beating at times while he was in Detroit so I don't think I would want to step in here behind this OL either. Not to mention, the Rams have championship pedigree and a track record of recent success. We can't offer up 4 straight winning seasons, three playoff appearances, two division titles, and a Super Bowl berth in our last four years. That's a pretty easy decision for me if I am Matt Stafford. 

That's why when people talk about a guy like Rodgers or Rivers wanting to come here, I just chuckle. I get the fantasy but this isn't the 2015/2016/2017 Panthers. All our luster is gone, however much it was in the first place. We just have to grind each season and offseason to build back up to being a team that a veteran QB wants to come to. Maybe in 5, 6, 7 years we can be the win now destination for someone like Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, etc. Someone in a similar position career wise as those guys are now.

Yep. Plus if what Mr Scott said about his wife is true, well, the decision would be even easier.

Hopefully in 5-7 years, the Panthers have their franchise QB and won't need a Prescott, Watson, or whoever. And maybe a franchise LT too.🙏

• Beer 2